The AM Forum
May 12, 2024, 04:59:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Value of box lots of tubage  (Read 1765 times)
N1ESE
« on: February 14, 2008, 10:41:23 PM »

What are box lots of NOS tubes going for at festers these days?  Someone clearing out a SK's estate is offering me a large box lot but I am not sure what to offer.  I am waiting for an exact count of how many tubes he has.

- JT
W2JBL

« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2008, 12:20:27 AM »

grab as much as you can whether you need them or not. in big lots i'll offer 30-50 cents a piece if i see a lot of types used in boatanchors. TV types are worth a lot less.
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2008, 08:21:39 AM »

It depends ENTIRELY on what's in the box.  A million 33GY7s, 4BZ6s, and 1B3GTs are less than worthless.  OTOH a carton of NOS Western Electric 300Bs will fund your retirement.

Bottom line:  can you use them?  I bought a single lot of probably 30,000 tubes on eBay for a couple hundred bux.  Filled up my Suburban - twice.  But many were TV tubes, certainly no high-value audio tubes, but I had a hell of a lot of fun digging thru 'em and pulling out a bunch of useful (but not high-value) tubes.  I filled 5 garbage cans with busted and otherwise worthless tubes and tossed 'em.

Look for a receiver project using 6ME8s and 6EH7s someday from me!

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015