The AM Forum
April 28, 2024, 10:12:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cable Connection: Collins 75A-2 To A Heathkit SB-610  (Read 5589 times)
w0ng
« on: February 13, 2008, 08:23:08 PM »

I'd like to monitor my received signals from the grid of the last IF stage in my 75A-2 receiver by connecting it to my Heathkit SB-610 monitor scope.

The SB-610 manual says to ONLY use RG-62 coax (93 ohm) to make the receiver-to-scope connection.

Do I have to use RG-62 or can I use something I already have in the shack like RG-174/U, RG-58A/U, RG-8X Huh

Would appreciate some advice here.

Thanks,
Bill
w0ng
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2008, 08:28:13 PM »

I don't know offhand if it will make any difference, but i'd go fer the 93 ohm stuff.....

you can find this stuff floating around an office building that had a local computer net...   no one will miss a little nip.......or a surplus computer store...........  klc 

What? Me worry?
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2008, 09:04:13 PM »

This should be taken into consideration:
RG62 - 13.5 pf nominal cap./foot
RG58 - 28.5 pf nominal cap./foot
RG174 - 30 pf nominal cap./foot
RG8X - 33.5 pf nominal cap./foot

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2008, 08:35:16 AM »

IIRC the coass used for car radios was 92 ohms or thereabouts.  Rob an old car antenner of its cable and see how it works.

What'll happen with 50 ohm cable is the coass will load down the radio, reducing sensitivity of the monitor as well as requiring re-alignment of the radio.

A much better solution, rather than using a SB-610, is to use a normal, garden variety oscilloscope with a 1 or 5 -meg resistor in series with the cable (at the radio).  The scope will have more than adequate sensitivity to make up for any capacitive loss in the cable, will have better (and more linear) sweep, etc.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2008, 09:22:21 AM »

A much better solution, rather than using a SB-610, is to use a normal, garden variety oscilloscope with a 1 or 5 -meg resistor in series with the cable (at the radio).  The scope will have more than adequate sensitivity to make up for any capacitive loss in the cable, will have better (and more linear) sweep, etc.

Also connect to the first IF to reduce non-linearity of the 2 IF stages.  You will see a better signal.
WA1HZK

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2008, 09:48:02 AM »

Usually a few pf in series with the cable to a scope works fine here.
You can add the resistor if you have any loading issues.
try 10 pf. & see if it works. All I have ever used is 50 ohm cable. No problems.
Keith
WA1HZK

AM is Not A Hobby - It's a "Way of Life"!
Timmy, Sometime in 2007 on a Mountain Far Away..
www.criticalradio.com
www.criticalbattery.com
www.criticaltowers.com
www.criticalresponder.com
Official Registered "Old Buzzard"
Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2008, 08:06:51 AM »

Hello,
       I've substituted 93 ohm with 72 ohm cable with Heathkits, Collins rigs, etc, and never had any difficulty with the 72/75 ohm cable if the run wasn't too long. The  93 ohm stuff is difficult to come by so I thought I'd use the next best thing, and it worked FB.

Regards,
           Joe N3IBX

Joe Cro N3IBX

Anything that is Breadboarded,Black Crackle, or that squeals when you tune it gives me MAJOR WOOD!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015