The AM Forum
May 02, 2024, 06:14:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Not Provocative"  (Read 8644 times)
WA3VJB
« on: February 12, 2008, 07:59:30 PM »

Pentagon brass today deemed not provocative a visit to a U.S. aircraft carrier by the Russians.

Everyone remain calm.

Including the F-18 guy who left a spot on the seat during this fly-by.

Courtesy US Navy.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23117045/

* BearPhoto.jpg (119.23 KB, 620x415 - viewed 580 times.)
KA1ZGC
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2008, 10:28:29 PM »

Everyone remain calm.

Roll Eyes

No need to ask me twice.

This is hardly the first of these little "exercises" by the Russians in the last few years. Their military has had lousy morale and poor maintenance since the end of the cold war, they're simply trying to boost it.

I'm far more worried about the nukes they lost than I am the few bombers they can still find the keys to.

Don't forget who's still in charge over there: Komerade Putin. Die-hard KGB, right down to the last (remaining) follicle. Nothing he'd like more than the old regime rising to power once more with him at the helm. He knows that won't be accomplished through military might, he also knows that wasn't the key to power last time, either.

Military might wasn't the strong point of the old regime: propaganda was. The best propaganda the soviets had was pulling little stunts that got the attention of western reporters, such that those western reporters would tell the western people how scared they needed to be. They didn't need military might to continue the cold war, only the image of it.

That panic-ridden coverage then got rebroadcast on Bremya, (remember "BPEMR", with the backwards "P" and "R"? That's "Bremya") and was used to show the soviet people how scared the west was of them. It worked. For decades, not a single shot was fired. We were scared because our news media (no, not the government, the news media) told us to be, they were confident because their news media told them how scared we were.

He's using our own media against us in order to provide footage for his own propaganda machine, just like his old masters did.

If western reporters take the bait, he'll succeed in that endeavor.

Including the F-18 guy who left a spot on the seat during this fly-by.

...as if by example. Not one mention of that in the article, or any other article I've seen on the topic.

Don't be one of those reporters, please. What would Mr. Murrow think?

--Thom
Kiloton Arsenal One Zealous Giant Cloud
Ed-VA3ES

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2008, 01:18:37 AM »

Thom, "Bremya" is  actually pronounced "vremya" or "the times".
Das vedanye!

Tovarische Ed

"There ain't a slaw-bukit inna worl, that kin jam me!!"
KA1ZGC
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2008, 01:34:42 AM »

Thom, "Bremya" is  actually pronounced "vremya" or "the times".
Das vedanye!

Tovarische Ed

Spasibo, Ed!

Figures I'd screw that up.

How the hell do you get cyrillic characters out of this thing, anyway?
ka3zlr
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2008, 05:33:35 AM »

Definitely Beauty in motion once a brimming iconoclast in flight...

Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2008, 08:45:53 AM »

The Russians simply failed to adequately advertise the schedule of their antique aircraft show.
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2008, 09:12:20 AM »

Cripes this thing used to happen all the time when I was on the USS America (CV-66) Hell, one time when we were in the Indian Ocean, we had what was called a "Steel Beach Picnic" Didn't some damn 'Soviet' Helix come hover over our heads about 20~50' in the air. We were throwing tie-down chains and anything else to hit the SOB. I think a chain got its wheel skid and he got out of there before someone with a hand-held sidwinder got up on deck Wink

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
KC1XF
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2008, 09:56:01 AM »

I see nothing has changed much from the period of time when I was in the Navy. I was on a Fleet Oiler, and while refueling ship's at sea, they would send a ship across our path when we had ship's alongside. This would cause an emergency break away, the two ship's would dis-connect and break away from the formation.

They got a bunch of laughs I guess. One day we were refueling and one of their small fighter plane's came down to buzz us, too bad he came in low and his wing caught a wave. We picked the dead pilot out of the water and a Russian Destroyer came along side so that we could Hi-Line their pilot back to them.

This was an everyday thing back in the period I was in 1964 - 1970.

Fred
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2008, 11:55:57 AM »

Fred said:
I see nothing has changed much from the period of time when I was in the Navy. I was on a Fleet Oiler, and while refueling ship's at sea, they would send a ship across our path when we had ship's alongside. This would cause an emergency break away, the two ship's would dis-connect and break away from the formation.

Yepper! I remember being down in the hangar bay while we were doing a RAS and a damn fishing trawler came in between us and the oiler. We broke apart and moved just far enough away that when their trawler came up, they got the ride of their life Grin I remember taking my golf clubs and going up on the flight deck when the Krivak met us at the 12 mile mark. I hit her a couple of times on her port side. The flight deck officer laughed about it and said I better stow my clubs lest I cause an international incident at the UN Wink

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
Tom WA3KLR
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2008, 07:34:39 PM »

In much better shape, the B-52H's that were on duty when I was in the Air Force in the early 1970's are still on duty; your tax dollar being stretched which is good, but also scarey.  And they were old then.

73 de Tom WA3KLR  AMI # 77   Amplitude Modulation - a force Now and for the Future!
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2008, 07:50:17 PM »

"  And they were old then.  "

I've been led to believe that the Air Farce plans to retire the 52's by the 2040's...  klc

What? Me worry?
ka3zlr
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2008, 08:34:18 PM »

Well, Putin may Be having a flashback....at one point what else did they have...people tend to miss those little escapades...I agree with Thom on alot of things...their military is a mess...

I like all Airframes though, there's ours somebody Else's...Powered flight in motion
ka3zlr
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2008, 04:59:30 AM »

Once again, this undying Need to Know everything about everybody is what amazes me..their governing body as well as ours does have it's faults.

The 52 history has been a long serviceable and needed platform, very much a Pilots Flying Dump truck,...but comes with incidence of attack issues one of which:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=E21byPXR1ek

All Pilots are aware of...and are trained against...this one met the requirements...it will with very little effort Knife edge, very quickly...as alot of this caliber airframe will, but that aside it is a beauty of a bird...very pleasant machine to fly.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015