The AM Forum
May 07, 2024, 02:07:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Component Video Cables  (Read 4935 times)
K6JEK
Contributing

RF in the shack

« on: February 08, 2008, 12:08:10 AM »

What is the impedance of the component video cables some TV's and video equipment use?

I went to buy some today and had to pick myself off the floor from the sticker shock.   This was at Radio Shack, a place I figured would have cheap cables.  How much for a set of 3' component video cables?  $42.   Oh really, I said.  Where are the cheap cables? There isn't a 3' set in the Radio Shack brand but here's a nice 6 footer for $36.

Can I sue them for mental anguish?   I mean this is three, 3' lengths of coax with RCA plugs on the end.   I think I'll just make them out of plain old RG-58, RG-59 or RG-6 but what is the impedance?

Jon
k3zrf

« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2008, 07:26:00 AM »

75 ohms.

dave/zrf
A closed mouth gathers no foot
ab3al
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2008, 07:43:39 AM »

We never use store bought cable here unless some numbnuts demands montser cable.. If they want them im happy to pay 11 bucks wholesale and sell them for 50 bucks..  There are several solutions to make your own out of rg6 catv wire.  all in all a 1000 foot spoll of rg6 retails for about $70  a decent compression fitting tool is about $80 and the rca compression connectors  for rg6 are $1 each.  hummm lets see now.. If you only need one set aint worth it..   If you need 10 sets custom length its worth it.
K3ZS

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2008, 10:38:44 AM »

I found out that Target had very inexpensive video cables of all types.   I suppose Walmart would be the same.   Seems like the electronic specialty stores make up for their low prices on big items by socking it to you for the accessories.
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2008, 11:12:28 AM »

I have never had any problems with ordinary audio cables. No degradation of the video signal. I agree the proper cables are better manufacture, you'll have to some shopping to get over the sticker shock
Fred

Fred KC4MOP
K6JEK
Contributing

RF in the shack

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2008, 11:34:18 AM »

Thanks guys.   75 ohms.   I have the nifty compression tool.   I think I'll use this as an excuse to buy the RCA connectors that go with it.

Jon

KB9R
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2008, 01:56:21 PM »

Best place I've found for component cables and especially HDMI cables is:
www. RiteAV.com
Good quality and much cheaper than the Walmarts of the world!

I'm not sure this has anything to do with AM however.

Joe
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2008, 07:49:19 PM »

This must be a spin-off from audiophoolery and the expensive "high end" cable rubbish.  I used to buy a set of stereo audio cables with RCA plugs on each end for a few bucks, but at both Best Buy and Radio Shack they wanted $40+ for them last time I wanted to buy a set.

Despite the cost, they are very cheaply made.  I bought a set to use at work last year, so went ahead and paid their price, since I would get reimbursed.  I think I plugged the damn thing in to the audio line output on the TV twice before the plastic grip/cover slipped off the body of the RCA plug, leaving  bare wire and the body of the plug exposed, and of course subject to breaking the wire loose from the connector after plugging and unplugging it a couple more times.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2008, 10:08:31 PM »

Despite the cost, they are very cheaply made.  I bought a set to use at work last year, so went ahead and paid their price, since I would get reimbursed.  I think I plugged the damn thing in to the audio line output on the TV twice before the plastic grip/cover slipped off the body of the RCA plug, leaving  bare wire and the body of the plug exposed, and of course subject to breaking the wire loose from the connector after plugging and unplugging it a couple more times.

Next time, try pulling the cables from the boots, instead of the wire themselves.

Didn't they tell you, on your 25 dollar a set ends, that the jackets on the connectors are for pullin, not the cables themselves.

But, I feel your pain.  Honestly, I found that taking the cheap cables and taking care of them, I get just as good life out of them as I do the monster cables.

RCA = SUCKS.

There is a reason studio equipment uses BNC.  Anything that uses RCA is consumer grade.  RCA = professional.

Of course, YMMV
--Shane
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015