The AM Forum
May 04, 2024, 07:58:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ARRL Non-Renewal  (Read 29921 times)
Tom WA3KLR
Contributing

« on: January 30, 2008, 03:33:36 PM »

I have received my second notice of impending ARRL Membership expiration of March 31.  I put the first notice in the trash a couple weeks ago.

Now I am composing a letter to Mary Hobart to be enclosed in the return envelope along with the unmarked renewal form, explaining my reasons why I am not renewing my membership in the "League".

73 de Tom WA3KLR  AMI # 77   Amplitude Modulation - a force Now and for the Future!
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2008, 04:25:30 PM »

Hmmm....that's odd, Tom. You don't even sound frightened. Wink

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
Tom WA3KLR
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2008, 04:28:38 PM »

Hi Todd,

I feel good and free.  I can hardly wait to receive my first issue of WorldRadio.

73 de Tom WA3KLR  AMI # 77   Amplitude Modulation - a force Now and for the Future!
WA3VJB
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2008, 04:28:56 PM »

I can hardly wait to learn Mary Hobart's response to yours.

WA1GFZ

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2008, 09:14:40 PM »

QEX is much better than QST
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2008, 09:25:37 AM »

You're a rebel Tom.
K1MVP
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2008, 09:44:33 AM »

I can hardly wait to learn Mary Hobart's response to yours.

Tom,
So as of today,--(March 26) what was Mary Hobart`s response, or did she even bother to reply?
                                         73, K1MVP
W4EWH

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2008, 03:06:07 PM »

Now I am composing a letter to Mary Hobart to be enclosed in the return envelope along with the unmarked renewal form, explaining my reasons why I am not renewing my membership in the "League".

Tom,

Well, as I've said before, "They may be Sons of Bitches, but they're Our Sons of Bitches".

I feel that it's better to reform the League than to leave it, but since I'm a life member my perspective is skewed.

FWIW. YMMV. My 2˘.

73, Bill W1AC

Life's too short for plastic radios.  Wallow in the hollow! - KD1SH
ka3zlr
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2008, 06:26:49 PM »

Evening All,

I'm Ignoring Them, they said to Ignor their Brilliant Move.. So They get their Just reward...

Why is Paul a Guest...?
Tom WA3KLR
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2008, 09:03:54 PM »

Hello Rene, Bill, Jack, and all,

I mailed in my blank renewal form to the ARRL along with my letter of reasons for not renewing about a week and a half ago.  I don’t expect to get a reply.  I felt it was much better for them to receive “reasons for not renewing” rather than just being unheard from and no feedback.

Interestingly, the April issue of QST is being received by members now.  Although my membership does not end until March 31, so far I have not received the April issue.  Usually I get my copy before my father gets his copy.  Wait and see.

That’s all there is to report as of tonight.  I am getting WorldRadio magazine now.

ka3zlr
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2008, 04:24:32 AM »

Affirmative Tom very well,

How are you by the way and the Family, hope all is well on your end..

On this same subject line i keep my membership in the Western Pa Repeater Council active and it's actually an enjoyable organization to be part in. I've been to a few meetings when they are close enough to get to, they have to carry it as a traveling business for obvious reasons in keeping contact with everyone. But they get alot of Real Work done...I've witnessed some real amazing situations and there are alot problems to keep a handle on, Also, it coincides well with my interest in Microwave and Sat systems..it's alot of fun...

But I think, after observing some real problems that they have to handle and there are some moments of head bashing and competing conflicts at some of these meetings...assigning repeater pairs,, handling some owners who've gone silent key, signal conflicts..etc... They still get the job done and remain Focused...

I Really like that..They're Focused.. They're not consumed in leadership roles and Director personages..This other organization could learn alot from these guys...IMO..

73 OM.

af6im
Contributing

AF6IM jumping from a C54G, 1999 Quincy Illinois.

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2008, 03:44:47 AM »

I am a brand new ham. I am not a huge ARRL fan, but the first thing I did after getting my license in April 08 was to join. I have worked in regulated industries. I know that without a voice in Washington DC, our hobby would suffer. A few individuals petitioning the FCC have nowhere near the clout as the ARRL does. I may have gripes about their inefficiency, sometimes wrongheaded policies etc etc, but I think it would be akin to freeloading to enjoy all the benefits that the League has secured for hams and not contribute to ARRL's funding. I gripe sometimes, but I am a member and probably always will be. I want someone in DC advocating for ham radio and protecting what has become VERY valuable commodity, ham radio spectrum space.

Mark
AF6IM
no code commie lid, extra lite...bring it on, I have heard it all
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2008, 04:30:00 AM »

QEX is much better than QST

If a person still wanted to "support" the League, while fed up with the useless piece of trash that QST has become, one option would be not to renew League membership and instead subscribe to QEX.  You don't have to be a league member to subscribe, but the non-member subscription rate is about the same as annual membership dues, so you would still be supporting them with your bux.

It's a ripoff to have to pay almost double to receive what used to come with the membership publication.

Interestingly, one of the guys running for Delta Division director (I'd have to look it up to remember his name and call) says he would advocate allowing members a choice between QST, QEX or the contest rag.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2008, 09:25:15 AM »

I have worked in regulated industries. I know that without a voice in Washington DC, our hobby would suffer.

Mark
AF6IM

Agree 100% My career has been in and around regulated industries including lobbying. Without that voice explaining your view you are toast.

I may have gripes about their inefficiency, sometimes wrongheaded policies etc etc,

They may be wrongheaded in our mind but clearly someone is advocating for them. Unless we are a force in the organization our views will not be recognized. And from the organizations' standpoint if we choose not to participate or support it why should they be? ARRL like any organizations exists for its "customers" (advertisers and members) It would be nice if there was a purer motive but that aint life in the free enterprise system.
Quote from: af6im link=topic=13473.msg110373#msg110373
date=1212047087

I want someone in DC advocating for ham radio and protecting what has become VERY valuable commodity, ham radio spectrum space.

Agree.

It's a ripoff to have to pay almost double to receive what used to come with the membership publication.

Or they can go the way of 73, Ham Radio, Radio News and the slimmed down thing CQ has become.
All magazines have shrunk and gone up in price. Its not leaque specific

Carl /KPD

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
W1EUJ
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2008, 11:28:44 AM »

Why are hams always pissed about something? Chill out. Myself included - I'm going home early.

David Goncalves
W1EUJ

W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2008, 11:57:44 AM »

Carl said:
ARRL like any organizations exists for its "customers" (advertisers and members) It would be nice if there was a purer motive but that aint life in the free enterprise system.

That's correct Carl, however, the ARRgghhL only exist to serve itself. Time and time again we have seen how they went 180° from what the membership wanted. I decided to vote with my feet and not support them since they don't support their members!

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
W9GT

Nipper - Manager of K9 Affairs

« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2008, 12:14:13 PM »

I have worked in regulated industries. I know that without a voice in Washington DC, our hobby would suffer.

Mark
AF6IM

Agree 100% My career has been in and around regulated industries including lobbying. Without that voice explaining your view you are toast.

I may have gripes about their inefficiency, sometimes wrongheaded policies etc etc,

They may be wrongheaded in our mind but clearly someone is advocating for them. Unless we are a force in the organization our views will not be recognized. And from the organizations' standpoint if we choose not to participate or support it why should they be? ARRL like any organizations exists for its "customers" (advertisers and members) It would be nice if there was a purer motive but that aint life in the free enterprise system.
Quote from: af6im link=topic=13473.msg110373#msg110373
date=1212047087

I want someone in DC advocating for ham radio and protecting what has become VERY valuable commodity, ham radio spectrum space.

Agree.

Or they can go the way of 73, Ham Radio, Radio News and the slimmed down thing CQ has become.
All magazines have shrunk and gone up in price. Its not leaque specific

Carl /KPD

These are excellent comments and mirror many of my thoughts about the ARRL.  I continue to maintain my membership in spite of the fact that I believe their direction has been very questionable, particularly in light of their recent attempts to push regulation by bandwidth to the detriment of AM and AM operation.  I, however, agree whole-heartedly that we need to try and work inside the organization as members to preserve what is good, and try to fix what is broken.  It appears that they are largely motivated by advertising dollars and not necessarily by what is best for the membership or the interests of various groups under the overall umbrella of the amateur radio hobby.  We need representation inside the organization to affect change and control.  This can be best accomplished by voicing our opinions as members or even as "officers" within the ARRL.  They are more likely to listen to members than they are to "outsiders".  They are less likely to even notice "protests" of those who choose to withold their support by not joining or renewing their memberships.  I think, however, that we really got their attention with our collective comment filings with the FCC.  We need to find a way to save the ARRL and not throw the baby out with the bathwater!

73,  Jack, W9GT

Tubes and Black Wrinkle Rule!!
73, Jack, W9GT
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2008, 11:16:51 PM »

I'm a member because I support the League for the function they play in the amateur radio community. If QST went away tomorrow, I wouldn't give a hoot. I didn't become a member for a magazine subscription. If that's your only motivation, then you most likely have lost sight of the ARRL's function. Members can motivate change through the electoral process for Directors and Vice-Directors and by providing consistent feedback to them when processes seem to be going astray. Non-members can just P&M in the wind.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2008, 07:32:12 AM »

Members can motivate change through the electoral process for Directors and Vice-Directors ...

Unless, of course, your choice of candidate is declared ineligable for some reason or another.

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2008, 11:58:00 AM »

It's not rocket science to first review the ARRL ARTICLES OF ASSOCIATION and the BY-LAWs, specifically the General Provisions as to Officers and Directors, to be sure that your proposed candidate is in compliance.

w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2008, 12:47:51 PM »

Yeh.  They changed the rules AFTER they declared WK3C ineligible for a "potential future conflict of interest".
http://www.arrl.org/arrlletter/06/0804/

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2008, 01:18:04 PM »

"  They changed the rules AFTER they declared WK3C ineligible  "

I thought it was becouse wk3c was placed on double secret probation.........

klc

What? Me worry?
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2008, 02:11:36 PM »

Yeh.  They changed the rules AFTER they declared WK3C ineligible for a "potential future conflict of interest".
http://www.arrl.org/arrlletter/06/0804/

Members in his Division should read his background and activities to determine if he's still a viable prospective candidate since elections in his Division are this year.
http://www.wk3c.com/

Well, at least now with these rule changes, a prospective candidate can't slip under the wire if there is a conflict of interest. Under the old, somewhat ambiguous rules, a prospective candidate could slip through the door without fully divulging their background involvements which might result in a possible conflict of interest.

W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2008, 09:14:33 AM »

Pete said:
Well, at least now with these rule changes, a prospective candidate can't slip under the wire if there is a conflict of interest. Under the old, somewhat ambiguous rules, a prospective candidate could slip through the door without fully divulging their background involvements which might result in a possible conflict of interest.

Until the ARRgghhL deems them inelegible for some other dubious reason.

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2008, 11:51:54 AM »

Pete said:

Until the ARRgghhL deems them inelegible for some other dubious reason.

If a prospective candidate read, understand, and abide by the rules, there should be no issue. Of course, nonmembers really have no stake in the process whether it's good or bad.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015