The AM Forum
May 08, 2024, 05:04:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 300G: Lights, Camera.....  (Read 5197 times)
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« on: January 29, 2008, 10:56:34 AM »

...*sniff*.....nothin'!

Hooked up the power line to the transmitter last night, finally. Made sure everything was set, closed all the doors after flipping on the filament breaker and added switch inside. Pushed the 'Start' button. Silence. Darkness. No blower slowly spooling up, no lit filaments, no meter indications. Nada. Only testing initial power up at this point, no Plate, B+, or anything beyond basic LV.

Checked for continuity from the end of the cable to the power terminals, all is well that far. Looked over the wiring to the relay above the breaker, all seems well. Ran out of time and eyeballs (the grainy, sandy, can't keep 'em open feeling was taking over) and called it a night.

Manual suggests the SOLA transformer as a starting point. I doubt it's burned out since Barry was using it before, but it's possible I didn't get the connections tight enough. Bypassing is an option, at least for testing LV.

Barring that, it's back to the schematic for some circuit tracing. Would've really liked to hear that big filament relay go *thwack*! but no joy. Wondering now about the BC hacks added and removed, terminal strip added inside for PTT, and if something is open that should at least be jumpered closed.

But at least it has a power cord now. Baby steps...  Smiley

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2008, 11:14:17 AM »

yep. you'll get there. keep at it. if a crip like me can fix stuff, you can fix stuff.  Cool

Rick K5IAR
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2008, 11:53:32 AM »

You'll get'er done, Todd.  You're very wise to listen to your body and not work on it when you are less than 100% alert.

Rick/K5IAR
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2008, 02:19:55 PM »

Tres k00l, Todd!  Really looking forward to hearing this one on the air.

Glad you recognized fatigue and stopped work.  Verminmont ain't as far as Manila to go to a funeral but I'd still rather not hafta go to another one any time soon  Wink

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2008, 02:22:16 PM »

That's precisely why I called it a night and went to bed at midnight, Rick. Hard to figure the thing out if you're dead.

Guess it was just good to let folks know that the project is still progressing, despite the time passed since we hauled it here from CO in 2003. It's probably nothing too serious, most likely I missed something when reinstalling the iron or otherwise reassembling.

I bet you could figure it out faster than me, Derb. You gots the fixin' gene.   Grin

Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2008, 02:26:41 PM »

Verminmont ain't as far as Manila to go to a funeral but I'd still rather not hafta go to another one any time soon  Wink

Yep, last thing I want is a buncha hooligans playin' with my radios and peeing in the yard at my wake! The neighbors might wanna join in.  Shocked  Actually, I'd expect (and hope for) just that kinda send off. You're in charge of the beer and gear. Wink

Here's a shot of the ol' girl taken for the XYL by MrMike, when the big boom and RCA 77 were out there keeping it company. Pretty sure the boom was in the radio room by the time you and HUZ were here.

* atlas1.jpg (78.13 KB, 768x1024 - viewed 373 times.)

N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2008, 03:56:23 PM »

Thanks Todd, but I'm really a hack at actually troubleshooting a radio.  Slab Bacon kicks my ass at that. What I am good at is spotting trouble by observation. I'm a good JS spotter. Others will have to judge the rest.
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2008, 03:58:45 PM »

Hey Johnny, still no parts, so I'm gonna open up Hammy Hambone's Matchbox and snap a couple snaps an post em in a new topic. I'm hoping it will be as comical as the outside is.  Grin
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2008, 07:09:21 PM »

This oughta be good  Grin Grin Grin

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2008, 12:05:57 PM »

This oughta be good  Grin Grin Grin

Indeed! Saw the pics, that's quite some Flashbox. At least we know where Derb will be at night, not out roaming the streets getting into trouble with spray paint and fast wimmins.  Grin

Spent a bit of time with the 300G last night trying to discover why it wouldn't power up. Checked all the connections, including the connections inside the SOLA iron, checked for continuity in the breaker, etc etc. Nothing came to light, so to speak.

Plugged it in, tried a number of different approaches, still nothing. While standing there frustrated, with the front door open, I switched the knobs to and fro between the crystal oscillators as I pondered. Nothing. Flipped the knob for the heaters to the 'on' position. Little red jewels lit up! There's power inside the beasty!

At this point it became clear that, with the circuit breaker working and power elsewhere, the latching relay was the issue. Not seeing anything obvious, I took the a very amateur approach: using a large cork lid from a pantry jar of perfect thickness (and with the transmitter unplugged), I shoved the cork between the bottom of the relay and top of the breaker to hold the relay closed. Plugged it back in and...

WHOOSH! The blower spooled up as the filaments lit and the 300G came back to life for the first time since 2003! Opening the front door back up, I was greeted with a shower of debris: tiny bits of paper towel, plant leaves, dust bunnies, basically everything I'd missed or added while cleaning it up over the last 4.5 years.

After the amazement wore off a bit, phone calls were made to share the success. To MrMike/W1RC and my dad, both of whom were present for the tipping party when the crew stood up the transmitter (Mike took the photos, dad actually went to CO to help get it), and to Big G, because I knew he could relate to such things as the savior of a 21E. Each time holding the phone in the lower back compartment and quizzing them as to what they heard. Hey, it's Tuesday night in Verminmont - whatcha gonna do for excitement?

Jen (a.k.a. XYL, 'the wife', etc) was at class, lucky for her. She didn't escape though, I left the transmitter running for a couple hours until she called.  Wink  "Sounds like static" she sez. No, it sounds like success! Okay, mild success, a step in the right direction, but HUGE to me.

Needless to say, the relay issue still needs to be figured out. Running a BC transmitter with a piece of cork shoved in to hold a relay closed is probably not good engineering practice and all that. Tom W2ILA and Paul WA3VJB, both 300G gurus, have been extremely helpful along the way in answering questions, providing tips, and offering ideas of where to start looking for the gremlins. Yesterday was no different, via email they gave suggestions and support. Tom even went so far as to declare "It will light tonight". I wasn't so sure, but he was right!

So, there's a lot of fluff about a rather minor event in the world of radio. An event that has me grinning ear-to-ear still, and anxious to get home tonight for more of the same. This stuff is still FUN, it never gets old!   Smiley

Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2008, 04:14:15 PM »

Nah, she's very understanding and even appreciative of my radio, car, and other interests. Like a few others on here with similar mates, I consider myself quite fortunate to have found her. Wasn't even that bad of a mess, more amazing how well that double squirrel-cage blower works once it pressurizes the cabinet.

MrMike will shoot a few jpegs Saturday when he stops by for the gun show, so I can post the results here.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015