The AM Forum
May 08, 2024, 04:49:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bias mystery solved  (Read 4280 times)
N3DRB The Derb
« on: January 28, 2008, 11:30:01 AM »

I could never get Yeasu #1 to throw down enough bias on the cheep tubes. I had to crank the pot to the stop to even get 40 ma, much less 60. I knew this was trouble brewing so when I went in there to put the AM filter board in place I decided to do some snooping. I'd rather replace crap before it burns up.

here are the culprits. The real offender is the little guy on the left. It claims it's a capacitor, but it's more like a 140K resistor with a chip on it's shoulder. When you see rubber bulging out of the bottom so bad that the cap cant touch the board it's soldered to, time to play change dat cap.

So putting in a major cap order now to put in some stock for repairs on both #1 and #2. Anyone got any favorite sources for radial lytics in the 250 volt range? I'm gonna buy about 20 of them. 

* DSCN0340.JPG (88.14 KB, 2048x1536 - viewed 386 times.)

* DSCN0341.JPG (105.59 KB, 2048x1536 - viewed 369 times.)
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2008, 11:34:20 AM »

I gots a bunch, I can send 'em to you

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2008, 11:41:17 AM »

too late, already ordered em offa ebay  Grin

Hey, what are those black disks you sent me? I cant remember for the life of me what they are for.  Huh Roll Eyes I only remember something about 1 ohm cold or something like that. 
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2008, 11:42:17 AM »

Damn ur gud Derb !
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2008, 12:00:17 PM »

Negative temp coefficient thermister.  They're good inrush current limiters.  1 ohm cold then when they heat up they're like .01 ohms.  They get hot so mount 'em somehwere they're not gonna melt anything.  I got a box of 'em and thought they'd be good for your leenyar.  Those are good for about 20 amps IIRC.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2008, 01:02:43 PM »

so mount em in series both hot and neutral lines or just hot? I had it wired up and then memory kicked in and I said you better ask about them things.

Thanks bud. Yeah I dont F around when I need parts, I get em. Gonna lay in a ton o stock of both caps and resistors.

I got 2 real 275 watt tips today for my D550 gun and damn does that thing solder big stuff nice.
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2008, 03:23:51 PM »

You could put one in each lead, see what happens.  Prolly better to use just one in series with the hot, I dunno.  I use one of those selfsame NTCs between the primary windings in my GPT-750 - just replaces the jumper for 220 operation.  You don't have that option with your Gonset though.

Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2008, 03:50:19 PM »

I bought a kit of those things off da bay last year, plastic container full of values. Still haven't used any, but I gots 'em just in case(literally). Interesting idea on using them as the 220 jumper on your TMC, Johnny. Bet I could figure that out on ol #89, too.  Grin

Derb, I had bias problems last February with my audio deck. Recapped the entire thing and replaced a naughty 6B4G driver, works slick since. I've become a stronger believer in replacing old caps than anyone ever thought possible. Got some 60s-era REL gear with those newer gray and blue caps in places, in some cases the innards are now outards. Bet you'll be very happy when they are gone.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2008, 06:18:02 PM »

my rule on thumb on lytics is over 100 volts and/or 20 years old, toss em. It's just not worth it. I need to check the main filters on them too. Those are expensive buggers but after it's done, you'll never have to worry again about loud bangy crapouts. The lower solid state voltage level units go bad too of course, but the tube voltage level units have a hell of a lot more stress on them.

I cant believe how many peoplez don't get that filter caps need to be changed on a 50 year old radio and discarded. Its like getting a 50 year old car out of a barn and expecting to be able to drive it around and have the brakes be good. Lots still think they only need to be changed when the radio is buzzing or humming.

the load all these transsexual sex change caps (now preoperative resistors)  Grin  puts on transformers is pretty great when you start multiplying the additional current drawn X number of bad actors.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015