The AM Forum
May 06, 2024, 04:44:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RA 250 Getting Closer  (Read 15172 times)
flintstone mop
Contributing

« on: January 26, 2008, 08:11:16 PM »

Hello Everyone
The Raytheon got a little closer to it's maiden voyage. No wires have been connected, but the hardest part has been done. Control lines (PTT), 220VAC 12-2 w/gnd.  Audio line and RF drive and RF outpoot cables run between the shack and the Gayrage. The iron has been moved back in their spots inside the TX. Heavy stuff! I remember the plate transformer form the Collins 20V-1. That almost killed me.

Fred

Fred KC4MOP
N3WWL
Founding

« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2008, 10:11:48 PM »

Good going, Fred.  I can't wait to hear it from your location.  I wonder if my BA's will resonate from your voice on that rig. Shocked
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2008, 10:17:51 PM »

sweet Phred. You will light a fire under the munkys ass with that thing. Wink
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2008, 09:17:12 AM »

YUP Jay
That limiter is on line for station audio and I'm getting reports now that the Kenwood /Titan combo sounds like a Harris kilowatt Tx. I'm wondering what this will do for a real plate modulated TX!!!!
The munkey will schwang again from the MOP

Phred

Fred KC4MOP
WA3VJB
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2008, 08:02:02 PM »

Fred I hope you're setting that for 75 so's I can work ya too.

Yes that, Harris/Gates AM Limiter looks like a benign little rack box but you're finding out the secret.

Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2008, 04:32:23 PM »

Ditto. Worked you recently on your DX-100 (I thought?), looking forward along with the others to hearing you bring the Raytheon back online. Then you'll have no excuse for not being on the air with the rest of us, promoting the wonders and attractions of the AM mode. Ha!

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2008, 10:15:18 PM »

Time goes so fast and can't get this thing on the air. (trying to remember this is a hobby) BUT there is 220VAC and the tubes light up now......oooops one of the 6B4's didn't make the trip too well from Kingston Pa. E-Pay rescue and waiting for two of dem. Got a cheaper deal than going to Antique Electronic Supply.
Hopefully Priority mail has a surprise for me on Sat, so I can modulate the RF. If not I should be able to make RF power any way sometime Sat. 2-2-08
This is good medicine that DERB and myself are enjoying by putting our stations together for a strapping signal. Shwang that munkey.

Fred

Fred KC4MOP
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2008, 11:50:15 AM »

OK folks
It's almost show time. Gotta PTT ckt and RF driver and the transmitter makes WHAT?Huh? 400 watts into a dummy?? I'll get into the manual and get all of the parameters. Prolly the link coupling got twisted and it's full tilt boogie. Now for that 6B4 and some audio from the station. I'll play some oldies into the dummy to hear that nice plate modulated audio once again.

Maybe Sunday nite.......................73
Fred

Fred KC4MOP
WA3VJB
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2008, 11:52:06 AM »

Are you initially sailing the airwaves on 160 or 75 with that transmitter, Fred ?

I'll be delighted to work you on 75m if there, or at least will listen on 160m if there.

flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2008, 04:06:07 PM »

Paul,
The initial sailing will be on 160M. An old lesson I learned about BC transmitters. Adjust /test / play on the last used frequency or band, known to be working. I have to decipher the "code" for the conversion to 75M. Jay said it didn't like 75 too well.
And to all.....the show is off. Lottsa nice RF and many, many watts but no 6B4's showed up today. Looks like next week. One of the pubes packed well in the box was broken. And looking in tube sub books no substitute!
Thanks for the interest.
Fred

Fred KC4MOP
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2008, 07:59:31 PM »

IT's READY!!!!!!
The 6B4's arrived today and that darn 60 year old transmitter makes the finest transmit audio I have EVER heard. I played a lot of good oldies into the dummy load and had to set the EQ basically flat, with just a small boost around 6khz and it sounds like an FM transmitter through the R390A diode load. The 390 was in the 16khz position.
I didn't have to tweek  and twist and force audio into that transmitter for these good sounds, like I had to do with the McMartian. The Gates BC-1H was a close runner up for this fantastic audio. The Collins 20V was afraid to modulate 100% pos peaks. I don't like 4-400's.....hi. I can get 125% pos peaks easily out of the Raytheon. WOW!!! that's all I can say.
I'll try to call CQ after 10PM. I'm still on the vertical. I have not finalized the dipole rebuild I did in between rain drops this afternoon.
Thank You Jay

Fred KC4MOP
N3WWL
Founding

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2008, 08:16:37 PM »

Glad you like it, Fred.  Enjoy that wonderful audio thanks to that mammoth iron, and yes, no problem to make 125% positive peaks.  Can't wait to work ya' Wink
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2008, 08:42:20 PM »

Phred,

I got Yaesu #1 working again with he AM filter installed. Seems a bit narrow but no where near as narrow as teh slopbucket filter. Need to hear some more people b4 I pass judgement. 3 kc on each side sill aint much. I now can pull 330 ma full strap 2 seconds at a time Cheesy damn cheep tube finals.

I may just get the Gonset amp finished tomorrow. It's getting close. Working on the bandswitch now.

Ham Radio is great cancer therapy methinks. I gotta hit the bed, too sleepy and drugged up to work on HV radio gear.
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2008, 08:59:30 PM »

Yup Tim,
You just chips away at the project when you're in the mood and before you know it it's finished and rarein to go. I cannot remember all of your rebuild. Are you planning to have something up for 160 before the end of the season??
And Jay, we'll find out what the others think as I get more air time. With the warm WX, I bet it's noisy out there tonight.
I'ts fun to see the needles shaking around a little as the modulator pumps out the good sounds.
Phred

Fred KC4MOP
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2008, 06:41:59 AM »

Fred, were you on the Raytheon night before last, talking to Don KYV?  Whatever it was it sounded FB.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2008, 07:44:41 AM »

phred,

I would like to find a nicely done home brew amp that I can turn into a 160 meter monoband amp. Richmond hamfester had a few good examples, but we are snowed under $$$-wise right now. Glo is back working again so we will shovel ourselves out quicker than not.

If I can find a good foundation unit with all the hard metal work done that's right, I'll mod/resto it and drive with Yeasu #2. I'm going to add 160 to the matchbox the right way since I have some extra front panel holes that I cant fill. It's better to make them useful than try to JS hide them, and I'm not going to 'restore' it.

I want it to stay modified, just not butchered and looking like a radio miscarriage, inside and outside.  Grin
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2008, 03:24:45 PM »

No John the Raytheon was not on the air. That's the magic with the modified Kenwood / Titan linear and the addition of the Harris limiter that gave it the BA sound........VERY loud....MORE pos peaks............hi
Last night Ma Nature was making a lot of noise and I didn't want to have a maiden voyage with her in the soup.
Fred

Fred KC4MOP
AF9J
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2008, 04:53:05 PM »

Hi Fred,

Just out of curiosity , what Kenwood were you using?

Ellen - AF9J
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2008, 06:02:42 PM »

Hi Ellen
It's the Kenwood TS440. It was modified for broadcast quality audio by Dave Calhoun W2WV a couple of years ago.

Fred

Fred KC4MOP
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2008, 11:15:39 AM »

Hi Gang
Here are some pics of the finished product. Not really great condx last night, but those that had arm chair copy said it had the BA's of Jay in the audio.............hi
It was fun to get this going and a great reward with the TX audio.

Fred

* RA finish.jpg (24.44 KB, 320x426 - viewed 687 times.)

* RA DRVR Final.jpg (31.74 KB, 320x426 - viewed 657 times.)

* RA IRON.jpg (22.08 KB, 320x240 - viewed 691 times.)

Fred KC4MOP
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2008, 05:15:10 PM »

Gorgeous rig.  810's will "Swing" and what a beautiful job of cabling. Bet your proud of 'er.
I'll be delighted to work ya on 160 when I get my lil' pw 813 jobbie finished.
Was hoping to beat the static season but looks like it's starting early.
-  Poor buggers in Tennessee last night.

RICK  *W3RSW*
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2008, 07:13:26 AM »

Phred,

It's great to see. I don't think I have a 160 xtal in Yeasu #1, but Yeasu #2 does. When I install the 160 mod in the flashbox I'll test it out and we should make a schedule.
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2008, 11:06:49 AM »

Still don't have the ant set up for 160, so I'll have to settle for listening for you on 160, Fred. Glad to hear you've gotten the ol' girl back on the air, she deserves nothing less. Jay obviously did a great job preserving this transmitter, it looks like new inside and out. Makes you realize just how serious Raytheon was about 'quality'. Wink

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2008, 07:41:47 AM »

I'm not working today to drive school bus.....woopie.....no money made for yesterday or today (some P&M) It's not easy to get back into the swing of things after retirement!!!
I might get the time to attempt to move the RA250 to 75M. It all depends on the temp in the garage. I have a Kerosene heater out there, but it only gets to the middle 30's. Not warm enough to "patiently" move the old girl to another band. I don't want any crap outs.
Fred

Fred KC4MOP
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015