The AM Forum
May 04, 2024, 05:11:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Can One Have Too Much Stuff?  (Read 20987 times)
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2008, 10:49:57 AM »

" we should all self terminate today for the good of the earth.  "

Like Mack, I'm a friend of the Earth.  And his method of reducing carbon footprint by suicide will , in some small way, reduce said footprint. But should we do more?? Individual suicide only reduces the footprint by such a small, small amount. I've found a solution. Make a eco-friendly suicide pact with as many global warming, wright thinking  individuals as you can. Just be sure that they go first, and you don't go... I know, you'll be accused of being selfish, and a coward for not living up to your principals. But, its all OK, as your heart is pure, and they have made a sacrifice for the good of all Mother Earth's creatures (don't say Father Earth, as that would be a insensitive, sexist remark)...

What have YOU done today?

What? Me worry?
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2008, 11:09:20 AM »

Let's not go political in this otherwise-dying thread, guys. I'm confident there are topics more deserving of your talents.  Wink

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2008, 12:06:59 PM »

I must dumber than a box of rocks, read the posts several times and I ain't seen a political statement anywhere yet!?

Clue me in Todd?

Certainly, Mack:

The secret is to keep acquiring more storage space. Grin

That may be true, but would you not then be enlarging your "carbon footprint"?
Especially as we all know that the "the planet has a fever".
I'd hate to think that the polar ice sheets and polar bears are disappearing just because I wanted another R-390A.

With earth's fate in the balance, I think the choice is clear.  Wink

When my "carbon footprint" comes even close to equaling that of my fellow Tennessean, Al Gore, I'll start to worry about that.

Somewhere the leap was taken from 'more storage space' to 'global warming', with enough tongue-in-cheek references to "carbon footprint", Al Gore, and so on. It really shouldn't need explaining. We've seen more than enough threads recently that have gone off the tracks over little innuendos like the ones above. This just isn't the place for it, particularly when some involved are the first to complain about others.

When in doubt, think 'Benevolent Dictatorship', closely followed by 'AM Radio'.  That should help keep things civil and on point, cabin fever and all.  Smiley

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
WA1GFZ

« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2008, 12:34:04 PM »

Besides, outside of a bit of dust the earth is closed loop so junk in my basement is just less in yours
W1UJR
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2008, 12:45:17 PM »

Besides, outside of a bit of dust the earth is closed loop so junk in my basement is just less in yours

Actually Frank, you hit upon it!
It IS a closed loop, controlled by dynamic feedback of equipment exchange.

The 1GFZ Boatanchorage Control System

Since the number of boatanchors is now static, they are not making HROs and Valiants anymore, my loss is someone else's gain.
Of course, the reverse is also true, I would simply be doing my duty taking in gear that someone else no longer wants/needs.
What a elegant system of natural balance, almost as slick as carbon credits!  Wink

Wow, I feel much better, that was the answer I was seeking all along.
I can sleep much easier knowing that I'm just doing my part to keep the planet in balance.
Whew, that's a load off my shoulders.

Ok, we have the winner, no more calls please.  Grin
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2008, 01:08:33 PM »

The secret is to keep acquiring more storage space. Grin

That may be true, but would you not then be enlarging your "carbon footprint"?
Especially as we all know that the "the planet has a fever".
I'd hate to think that the polar ice sheets and polar bears are disappearing just because I wanted another R-390A.

With earth's fate in the balance, I think the choice is clear.  Wink

Seriously, our biggest concern in that department should be that someone might begin a lobbying effort to have AM outlawed on order to "save energy" and "contain the carbon footprint", by eliminating those energy-gobbling "wasteful carriers".  Frankly, I'm surprised the issue hasn't already been raised.

Of course this would be despite the fact that such action would have approximately the  same effect on energy consumption, carbon emission and  global warming as pissing into the Pacific ocean would have on global sea level.  But it would be typical of the kind of "feel good" legislation that makes politicians and "career civil servants" look like they are "doing something" - much in the manner of extending Daylight Shifting Time into the winter season and outlawing incandescent bulbs.  And chances are, it would be proposed by some  administrative type who commutes to work all alone every day in a gas-guzzler.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2008, 02:03:01 PM »

I was doing very good over the last several years of selling off, giving away, and throwing out "stuff" that has accumulated here over many years. Some "stuff" hadn't seen the light of day since I stored it away many years ago. Then last weekend I got a call to please come and help clean out a SK's accumulated 60 years pile of "stuff". When I left, the entire back of my mini-van (with the seats folded into the floor) was filled almost to the roof and also the front passenger area. Boxes of old caps, resistors, cables, and lots of other stuff went into the 45 gallon garbage trash bags. Now I have to start my disposal process all over again. Fortunately, this time the wife understood the motivation since the SK was a long-time friend.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
K5MO
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2008, 08:19:57 AM »

I HAVE TOO MUCH STUFF!

Roll Eyes

John K5MO
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2008, 10:16:01 AM »

I know that it was blessed by the craftsmanship of Howard and it sold for a ridiculously high $$. Would you be able to get your money back?
And someone may have hit on this.....Once it's gone...You'll never have another one like it. It was in better than factory condition after Howard did his thing.
The 20V was a really nice sounding TX. Great low end. I didn't like the hassle with the design and the 4-400's.

Fred

Fred KC4MOP
WA1HZK

« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2008, 12:59:09 PM »

You can never have enough stuff. But if a fellow stuff user says "Oh but for this one part and I would have a KW back on the line" you must set some of your stuff free. If it does not come back then the great god Ruben, the god of premature ejaculation will bless you.
So Let It Be Written
So Let it Be Done Wink

AM is Not A Hobby - It's a "Way of Life"!
Timmy, Sometime in 2007 on a Mountain Far Away..
www.criticalradio.com
www.criticalbattery.com
www.criticaltowers.com
www.criticalresponder.com
Official Registered "Old Buzzard"
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2008, 08:17:18 PM »

I have done the same thing with a last will and testament. No junk man to enter the property. I gave some phone numbers and email addresses of some folks here to dispose of the goodies when I depart this Earth and I'm in Radio Heaven with the best built transmitter known to Man.
As long as I can park my car in the garage and get out safely, I'm OK.

Fred

Fred KC4MOP
NE1S

"The Smallest Minority is the Individual"

« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2008, 05:26:06 PM »

As long as I can park my car in the garage and get out safely, I'm OK.

Fred

You can park your car in the garage? Really?

-'1S
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2008, 06:39:06 PM »

I can't remember when I last had room for a car in the garage.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
W4RON
« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2008, 08:05:36 PM »

I've got a 2 car garage that's never had a car parked in it.
It took 2 hours of moving stuff around to make room for my new
lawn tractor last year.

73, Ron
http://radioheaven.homestead.com/displayroom.html 

WA1HZK

« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2008, 08:35:29 PM »

Good!

AM is Not A Hobby - It's a "Way of Life"!
Timmy, Sometime in 2007 on a Mountain Far Away..
www.criticalradio.com
www.criticalbattery.com
www.criticaltowers.com
www.criticalresponder.com
Official Registered "Old Buzzard"
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015