The AM Forum
April 28, 2024, 07:16:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Local RFI (From me)  (Read 14700 times)
ka3zlr
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2008, 06:39:02 PM »

We had them here boys, with all three kids...I used to tear them apart rebuild them, Those things are signal hunterz. Period...J.U.N.K.

I have a story about RFI, I have a neighbor too, right across the hayfield behind the house.. I CAN AIM MY SIX METER ARRAY RIGHT AT HIM.....and nothing....Put up a doublet and Bang the phone rings off the hook...He's a no compromise Pisano...he see's an antenna he complains...Oh well....my six array must be for the TV set it's on the chimney...it'sa a ok...LOL.....He's a funny fellow....

That's why i want to build my 30 foot 160 vertical...put a flag on it and call a flag pole...it'll be in the front yard...

Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2008, 10:55:07 PM »

It's amazing how a visible antenna can generate RFI, even if it's never been connected.  Roll Eyes

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
Happiness is Hot Tubes, Cold 807's, and warm room filling AM Sound.
 "I've spent three quarters of my life trying to figure out how to do a $50 job for $.50, the rest I spent trying to come up with the $0.50" - D. Gingery
W4EWH

« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2008, 11:41:15 PM »

It's amazing how a visible antenna can generate RFI, even if it's never been connected.  Roll Eyes

The "rule of thumb" when I was a kid was that a new antenna should be up for at least a week before it was used, so as to draw out complainers and enable the ham to deliver a preemptive strike by showing the coax unconnected.

I never bothered myself, since I was always too eager to get a new skyhook on the air. TV designs have changed, but I think six meter AM rigs did more to sell high-pass filters and FM rigs than any other single mode. I know a ham who was getting so many complaints that he built a varacter modulator into a Clegg 66'er, and drove it with a Turner +2 amplified mic. He used to burn out one varacter a month, because the +2 would put 9 volts on the mic lead when it was unkeyed, thus forward biasing the varacter for a very brief time. I think he figured it was a small price to pay to keep his neighbors happy. Angry

73, Bill W1AC

Life's too short for plastic radios.  Wallow in the hollow! - KD1SH
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015