The AM Forum
May 05, 2024, 11:29:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A Simple Clamp circuit for a Classic Tetrode Transmitter  (Read 15213 times)
AB2EZ

"Season's Greetings" looks okay to me...

« on: January 06, 2008, 06:57:55 PM »

Attached is the schematic for a simple, solid state clamp circuit... for grounding the screen of a tetrode (e.g. a 6146) r.f. output tube if the grid drive (and therefore grid bias) is lost. It is the solid state equivalent of the clamp tube protection circuit used in rigs like the Johnson Ranger.

The FQA11N90 is the high voltage FET that many of us use to build Class E transmitters. They cost just a few dollars. They need to be mounted to the chassis using an insulating pad, because the drain of the FET is in contact with the metal on the back of the FET package. They can handle 900 volts from drain to source, and 11 amps of drain current. For this application, the drain current will be, at most, a few 10s of milliamps... so heating will not be a problem.

The purpose of the Zener diode at the input of the FET is to protect it from having an excessive voltage (more than 15 volts) applied to its gate. Excessive voltage on the gate will kill the FET instantly.

The positive voltage shown at the lower left of the schematic can be any voltage that is large enough to turn on the FET when the grid drive to the r.f. tube is not present. Assuming that the grid voltage, in that situation, will be essentially zero, the gate will rise to 1/2 of the positive voltage... which, in this case, will be 6 volts. The turn-on voltage for the FET is 4 volts (or less).

The current flowing from the positive voltage supply is just 10s of microamps, so a simple half wave rectifier working off of the 12 volt filament supply, with a 1N4007 rectifier and 1 uF capacitor across its output should do the job of providing this voltage.

* Solid State Clamp Circuit.jpg (37.95 KB, 960x720 - viewed 940 times.)

Stewart ("Stu") Personick. Pictured: (from The New Yorker) "Season's Greetings" looks OK to me. Let's run it by the legal department
K1DEU
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2008, 09:02:56 PM »

Very Nice Stu; I hope you add this to your home page along with your FET direct coupled audio driver circuit that eliminates any thoughts for using audio driver transformers. Perhaps the Dirkatron will use this in his Biking 2.    73  John
WA1GFZ

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2008, 09:03:49 AM »

Stu,
The top 330 K will load the bias circuit when it is negative due to the reverse diode through the zener. It may be ok at the 330K value. The two values can be adjusted for the right clamp action. maybe one should be a pot???.
AB2EZ

"Season's Greetings" looks okay to me...

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2008, 11:24:43 AM »

Frank

Typically, the existing grid self biasing resistor (grid-to-ground) is less than 33k ohms (it's 27k on the Ranger, 22k on the Ranger II, and 27.5k on the DX-20)... so I selected 330k as a compromise between having a small effect on the accuracy of the grid current reading vs. worrying a lot about the value of the reverse leakage current of the Zener diode at voltages below the turn-on voltage of the FET.

Stu

Stewart ("Stu") Personick. Pictured: (from The New Yorker) "Season's Greetings" looks OK to me. Let's run it by the legal department
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2008, 12:09:39 PM »

I have a mid-50's vintage amateur radio slopbucket handbook published by CQ magazine.  It contains an article about "class-C"  linears.  It is basically a class-C amplifier with clamp tube, with careful attention to component values, connected in such a way that the clamp tube controls the PA plate current well enough to make it function as a linear.  The author claimed he accidentally discovered it while converting a DX-100 to slopbucket, then found some articles by a ZL using the same basic idea.  There are a couple of circuits using 813's in the final.  According to the article, the amplifier is just as linear as a class-B amplifier.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2008, 02:26:14 PM »

G4DAF. The systems has rather poor IMD characteristics.

I have a mid-50's vintage amateur radio slopbucket handbook published by CQ magazine.  It contains an article about "class-C"  linears.  It is basically a class-C amplifier with clamp tube, with careful attention to component values, connected in such a way that the clamp tube controls the PA plate current well enough to make it function as a linear.  The author claimed he accidentally discovered it while converting a DX-100 to slopbucket, then found some articles by a ZL using the same basic idea.  There are a couple of circuits using 813's in the final.  According to the article, the amplifier is just as linear as a class-B amplifier.
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2008, 02:44:11 PM »

G4DAF. The systems has rather poor IMD characteristics.

I thought it was the G2DAF...  Same thing your talking about, or was their another G series amateur making crazy amps?

And the DAF I thought was one that actually derived it's screen voltage from the drive signal?

--Shane
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2008, 02:56:00 PM »

2, 4 what's the difference? Grin  Yea, I know, 2!

I think we're thinking/talking about the same thing.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2008, 05:16:40 PM »

Hey Huz, How did you get your dog to look so smart in that picture?
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2008, 07:24:33 PM »

That's the way she looks - smarter than her owner.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2008, 11:34:43 AM »

Pets are smarter...we go to work, they are on vacation
W4EWH

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2008, 07:06:23 PM »

Pets are smarter...we go to work, they are on vacation

The difference between cats and dogs:

A dog thinks -

• These kind being feed me
  • They take care of my health
  • I have a warm, comfortable place to sleep

... and the dog concludes "They must be gods"!

A cat thinks -

• These kind being feed me
  • They take care of my health
  • I have a warm, comfortable place to sleep

... and the cat concludes "I must be god"!

Life's too short for plastic radios.  Wallow in the hollow! - KD1SH
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2008, 07:27:35 PM »

Good one.  Wink

Never heard of a cat scaring away an intruder, or pulling a child from a burning house. Dogs just seem like they are vacation.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2008, 08:18:53 PM »

Gotto used to walk with my wife when my daughter was a baby. Whenever a dog ran out to the street it met Gotto ready to protect little Donna who use to treat him like a rag doll. He was a tuff loving cat.
I love both cats and dogs.
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2008, 09:56:26 PM »

Cats rarely fart.... ..                klc

What? Me worry?
W3DBB

« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2008, 11:03:22 AM »

Doug

beautiful downtown Strodes Mills, Pennsylvania
K1DEU
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2008, 06:54:03 AM »

Seems off topic but in the 60's my Three tube 813 Linear? was swamped G1 input with a 100 watt non-inductive 300 ohm resistor fed by a 1:4 balun. G2, Screen grid voltage was developed by rectifying this G1 RF with a voltage doubler using two 6AU4 Television Damper Diodes. This was developed from an article by G2DAF. Oh yes lotsa output when driven by my Drake T4X or Johnson Ranger but very dirty on SSB. It constituted a  SBE (Frequency cleaner/eraser) Transmitter. Very efficient with 2700 EP under load, 3200 no load, zero bias. John, K1DEU
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2008, 10:20:02 AM »

Similar to the one posted by NU2B some time ago.

* Shunt Screen Reg Modulator using FETKiss.jpg (55.26 KB, 581x484 - viewed 808 times.)
WA1GFZ

« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2008, 10:37:05 AM »

Gee,
Take a viking 2 and convert it to screen modulation. That sounds like a good source for an afterburner...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015