The AM Forum
May 19, 2024, 11:37:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Arrgh... it's broke AGAIN!  (Read 4419 times)
Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« on: January 05, 2008, 05:33:19 PM »

You know, there are some days that I just want to toss that Valiant out the window...  Angry

Last week, I missed out on the Heavy metal rally due to a modulator problem, got that fixed. This week, I fire her up, and see some Bizare stuff on the scope.  Heavy distortion on the RF side of things, (Hey I DID fix the modulator/audio)...  seems that when the grid is peaked using the exciter, there is some a serious mess coming out, but when off peak it's a nice sine wave.

Anyway, She's up ended on the bench Again, and I'll be spending the weekend diggin' and fixin' Again...  Thankfully I've got both the BAMA and an original manual.  Sometimes I cant read the numbers off of the bama copy.

Ah well, that's why I like these old rigs, cause you CAN fix them.   

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
Happiness is Hot Tubes, Cold 807's, and warm room filling AM Sound.
 "I've spent three quarters of my life trying to figure out how to do a $50 job for $.50, the rest I spent trying to come up with the $0.50" - D. Gingery
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2008, 06:42:41 PM »

Ed, dump the Junkston and pick up a DX 100 or B&W 5100.  Johnson has troubles with the rear wafer of the band switch among other things.  I would get it going and sell as quickly as possible.
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2008, 07:06:55 PM »

Ed I know what you mean. this amp I'm working on had so many JS's it's amazing it worked at all. But it's a labor of love.

I have named her Jenny Gonset. The next one I get will be Johnny Gonset. Yes, I am giving my LINYARS names.
They will squish slop-buckets like bugs when I am done.

All day and night. The pay off will be coming round the bend soon now. Then it's - HAMMER TIME!  Cool

Keep workin and learnin. Someday, there wont be a radio in North America you cant fix for good.
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2008, 08:47:30 PM »

OH no Tim,
Does this mean that there will be a little DERB with the mating of your leanyears??
It's a good thing you do not have JOHNSON linears. "Johnny's Johnson"

Phred

Fred KC4MOP
Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2008, 09:07:26 PM »

Yea Derb, you're right, I am Learning a lot on this rig.  I just wish I could get on the air a little more often.
This rig wasn't JS'd much (well, the mains power running to TWO fuse holders drilled into the front panel kind of stinks. BIG holes to fix not to mention all the other holes drilled in for 'easy access' to all the bias pots, neutralizing cap and such  Undecided  )  it was ABUSED...  I think the reasons it is in such rough shape is that some 11m or hammy hambone type really rode it hard and put it away wet, and things are just failing as they become the weakest link.

Well, back to the bench.

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
 "I've spent three quarters of my life trying to figure out how to do a $50 job for $.50, the rest I spent trying to come up with the $0.50" - D. Gingery
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2008, 07:53:28 AM »

jenny hasnt met Johnny yet. I'll pick up Johnny later this year. I'm in the same shape as you. I wanna get on more then working on the gear, but I know if I dont fix it all now I'll just have a crapout later on. Better to get it all done at once and button it up.

yes, thats probably exactly what happened. CB abuse.
kc2ifr
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2008, 05:19:59 PM »

Ed,
The Valiant was possibility  the worst rig Johnson ever produced .......figure on doing repairs a lot!!!!
W7SOE
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2008, 12:41:35 PM »

I love my JVII, that's just me....

Rich
Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2008, 04:31:58 PM »

Well, the good thing is, with the panel and the case both drilled out like they are, and the innards futzed up, I can do all the drilling and blasting I want, and not feel guilty about wrecking something that could have been restored to look like new.   
  I changed out that crystal holder that they used as a plug for the ant relay with some pin jacks that fit the existing holes perfectly. The original isn't even going to be able to be used for a crystal, as the contacts have been bent out by some one shoving something a little too large in there... it never made reliable contact, and I did end up transmitting into my receiver a couple times.

One thing I find amazing about the Valiant, is the amount of RF filtering on just about EVERY thing that went through the case, even the accessory socket in the back.

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015