The AM Forum
May 13, 2024, 06:11:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: AC Filter  (Read 3830 times)
flintstone mop
Contributing

« on: December 25, 2007, 07:44:03 PM »

Hello my friends
Is there any source for a known good AC RFI filter for switching power supplies? I see mentioned Corcom. What would fill the bill for a 75W supply? We miss our "under cabinet lights" and the 1 Amp supply I dug up can't cut it for the current draw. The switching supply wrecks Ham radio from 160M to 40M every 30khz with a buzz. I know there will be cool ideas here. And some to get a chuckle or two.
I hope Christmas was a good one for all. Did Santa bring anybody that big B'cast transmitter? Or that nice sounding Raytheon from N3WWL???

Fred

Fred KC4MOP
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2007, 08:14:41 PM »

eBay is your friend.  Here's a lot of eleven 10A filters for ten bux

http://cgi.ebay.com/11-NOS-CDE-APF-10311-EMI-Line-Filter-10A-250VAC_W0QQitemZ180199383129QQihZ008QQcategoryZ7288QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2007, 11:01:15 AM »

Thanks John
I wonder if those filters will take care of switching power supply noise?? They look a little dated in the ebay pic
Fred

Fred KC4MOP
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2007, 11:23:56 AM »

Similar ones have a common mode atten of about 30 dB at 500 KHz and 45 dB at 30 MHz.  Mount a couple in a project box, put a fuse on it, and cascade them for more attenuation.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
WA1GFZ

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2007, 11:29:16 AM »

They will need a good ground for best performance
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2008, 07:56:01 PM »

This particular thread is like a cow chewing her cud.
Anyway, I received some very nice AC line filters to play with the "under counter lighting switching power supply"
I'm either doing something outta wack BUT it seems to me that it's a radiated signal on the DC side. The wires leading to the lights make the antenna and you got to have a load, so the P.S. will start. I thought I was getting somewhere running the P.S. unloaded and heard no noise on 160M. I took the P.S. to the load and my test radio and the noise is there no matter how many AC line filters I put in series.
I think there was something in Q street for another switching supply for "driveway lgihts" and auto sprinkler controls to water the grass. The solution may have been running the leads to and from the P.S. through some cores. Does any one remember that as being a solution?

Fred
Fred

Fred KC4MOP
WA1GFZ

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2008, 08:40:04 PM »

Download the reference put in by W2DU a couple days ago great read. There are plenty of common mode filter ideas in it
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2008, 02:06:27 AM »

Wouldn't just tossing the switching power supply and replacing it with a small step-down transformer and feeding the lamps with a.c. do the trick?

We have under-the-cabinet lights in the kitchen that use small fluorescent tubes, and they don't cause any more rfi than CFL light bulbs.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2008, 11:17:11 AM »

YUP Don,
The mod has been done .A great deal on some big AC 12v transformers from EPay. $9
I just thought I would investigate a conquer...........ha

Fred

Fred KC4MOP
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015