The AM Forum
May 03, 2024, 06:33:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HV Power Supply Sources?  (Read 5148 times)
K3ZS

« on: December 24, 2007, 10:31:31 AM »

After reading about the various amplifier posts, I realized that I have many parts myself to build a power amp.   However, the HV power supply needed, around 1500V or more always stops me.    Are there reasonable sources for HV transformers, caps and filter chokes out there?    What about microwave ovens?   You can by a 1KW oven for much less than a new HV transformer.   Seems like a good source, anyone try using them?
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2007, 10:40:33 AM »

Several people have used microwave oven transformers with sucess. But.............
Most of them have one leg of the secondary tied to ground and were designed to be used with a single diode (half wave) rectifier. There are some issues with the transformers insulation not being able to take it if you lift that leg (if you can even get to it) and use a bridge rectifier.  We have even had a few discussions on the air about it.

The Slab Bacon

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
WQ9E

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2007, 10:46:59 AM »

Another reasonable source for transformers and RF parts is MFJ, they make available the parts used in their Ameritron amps at quite reasonable prices.  Go to http://www.mfjenterprises.com/catalog/Pages%2045%20through%2066.pdf and look at pages 62-64.  Hopefully there is enough demand that Martin will continue making these available.

Rodger WQ9E

Rodger WQ9E
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2007, 10:51:42 AM »

Regarding Microwave ovens as a source.

There's no need to buy them!
People throw them out!
The transformers are perfectly good.
Usually it is the Magnetron that has worn out or the controller that has died.

They're also good for the high voltage diodes, and usually a relay and some microswitches and a fuse...

The problem with microwave iron is that it may be too high a voltage, and it doesn't usually have a center tap. They're also not really very high current. Probably not rated for continuous service...

One might be able to take two and run the primaries in series and the secondaries in parallel and get the voltage down to a reasonable range... not sure it would make enough current though.

The best thing is to just check ebay or better still get thee to a hamfest...
put a "want" up here on AM fone and or the other ham oriented websites.

HV iron is pretty easy to come by.

Fwiw, Hammond sells new.

_-_-bear

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2007, 11:10:21 AM »

Bear's right. Plate iron is fairly easy to find, quite often it can be had pretty cheaply at hamfests, as it is heavy and the vendors are usually willing to cut a deal rather than having to "lug it back home". Mod iron is however another story!!

The Slab Bacon

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2007, 11:12:28 AM »

The way to use Microwave Iron in your power supply is to take 2 units that are electically similar (easier to do since most of the innards are made by a few suppliers so you can use the part numbers right off the trannie) and bolt them together.  The frames of the single ended transformers then become your center tap. and keeps the winding to frame voltages at the recomended levels to prevent breakdowns.

You also have to remove the magnetic shunts, else your regulation will be really bad.  The Filament windings can be pulled out or left in place (I'd remove them).

To be really sure of a good electrical connection, I take the two frame connections and move them to a common point on one frame and clean the mating surfaces abit on the frames, pull the center tap wire direct from the common point. You can leave it open though it looks ugly as sin, or put it in a small box and bring out your wires.

Since most MOT's are 1-1.5kv you can get 2-3kv out at around 0.2-0.5 Amps depending on the trannies. Use Variac to power them up to a known LOW voltage and you can figure the final outpoot pretty close.

They are also very easy to rewind as low voltage-High current filament transformers.  Just remove the secondary(unfortunately you have to use a wood chisel or similar, I don't know how you could unwind it to save the copper Undecided ) That leaves plenty of room for a few turns of thick wire for filaments on bigger tubes like 4-250s and 4-400's.

I get mine from the Appliance reclaim at the dump, always free, and with some patients you can get some good Iron plus HV diodes, interlock switches, etc.  the Caps are very low uf values (aournd 1) so their usefullness in a HV supply is limited, but they are HV oil caps so they could be handy for other stuff....

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
Happiness is Hot Tubes, Cold 807's, and warm room filling AM Sound.
 "I've spent three quarters of my life trying to figure out how to do a $50 job for $.50, the rest I spent trying to come up with the $0.50" - D. Gingery
Ian VK3KRI
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2007, 05:33:49 PM »

Some modern microwaves use switch mode inverters. You can tell by the weight of them! 

A local ham VK3XU proposed running  two transformers with primaries in series. This is because the uWave transformers are designed with minimum iron and get quite warm on extended transmissions. His analysis was that design is about right for continuous duty with 50% voltage applied.  Of course that does drop your secondary voltage as well , but hey you can get them for free which is my preferred price point ....
                                                                             Ian VK3KRI

flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2007, 09:02:47 AM »

Look for an old oven. The newer ones use our favorite switching supplies.
Fred

Fred KC4MOP
K3ZS

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2007, 03:02:46 PM »

Thanks all for the info.    Looks like the hamfest circuit is the best way to get parts.    I threw out a couple of old microwaves a few years ago, they were heavy and probably had some real transformers.   At the time I didn't think there was anything worth salvaging.
KB5MD
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2007, 03:54:48 PM »

Don't make the mistake I did by trying to improve the looks of the
microwave oven transformer by spray painting it.  Turns out the paint was quite conductive.  That sucker sparkled like the fourth of July when it was energized, what a light show!
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2007, 05:32:04 PM »

There's a company in NJ that sells nice toroid xformers, complete with fil windings.  Very reasonable.  I think their largest is 1600 V (2 800 V windings, can be series connected) at 800 VA + 20% for 60 hz operation.

http://www.toroid-transformer.com/

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015