The AM Forum
May 03, 2024, 07:31:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Machined Feedline Spreaders  (Read 10109 times)
W1EUJ
« on: December 10, 2007, 10:01:43 PM »

On the related topic of feedline spreaders - there is a dealer that sells nice, machined fiberglass/plastic spreaders. Anybody know the name of the manufacturer? I am building a doublet antenna, and 600 ohms seems to give me nice numbers.

David Goncalves
W1EUJ
KA1ZGC
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2007, 10:16:55 AM »

Don't know who that would be, but you could always go to Home Cheapo and buy some fiberglass garden posts, cut them to length, drill 'em out, and whammo, fiberglass spreaders, probably much cheaper!

It's always worked for me.

--Thom
King Abraham One Zebraham George Charlie
W1EUJ
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2007, 12:20:53 PM »

Nice circular ones? I'll have to check that out on my next trip to Big Orange.

Tnx OM.
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2007, 12:31:29 PM »

Yea. The ones used to support tomato plants or similar are pretty nice.
Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2007, 09:34:17 PM »

This time of year, they sell 1/4 inch diameter "Driveway Markers" that are just fiberglass rod with a bit of reflective tape at one end.  They are handy little guys.  Just watch out for slivers when cutting them up.

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
Happiness is Hot Tubes, Cold 807's, and warm room filling AM Sound.
 "I've spent three quarters of my life trying to figure out how to do a $50 job for $.50, the rest I spent trying to come up with the $0.50" - D. Gingery
WA1GFZ

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2007, 09:46:41 PM »

those driveway markers make quick and dirty curtin rods at the new QTH. A pair of #6 nails and XYL is good to go.
W1ATR
Resident HVAC junkie

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2007, 09:55:09 PM »

Yeah, nice. I saw Bob Vila do that once on a show called "This Old Shanty"

Me, I'm too lazy, I just staple some old bedsheets up over the windows and call it a day. Tongue

Don't start nuthin, there won't be nuthin.

Jared W1ATR

Click for radio pix
W2XR
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2007, 10:07:18 PM »

This time of year, they sell 1/4 inch diameter "Driveway Markers" that are just fiberglass rod with a bit of reflective tape at one end.  They are handy little guys.  Just watch out for slivers when cutting them up.

I use these by each of the guy wire anchors (total of 6 places for the two towers here at W2XR) and they work great.

Bruce

Real transmitters are homebrewed with a ratchet wrench, and you have to stand up to tune them!

Arthur C. Clarke's Third Law: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic".
W2XR
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2007, 10:14:19 PM »

On the related topic of feedline spreaders - there is a dealer that sells nice, machined fiberglass/plastic spreaders. Anybody know the name of the manufacturer? I am building a doublet antenna, and 600 ohms seems to give me nice numbers.

David Goncalves
W1EUJ

Dave,

Buy the pre-made 600 ohm feedline from W7FG, and call it a day. As has been posted on these pages quite recently in the past, this stuff is cheap, well-made, reliable, lightweight, etc. In short, it does everything well that 600 ohm open wire feeders are supposed to do.

I use it here, and like so many other hams before me, swear by it.

Why go to the trouble of reinventing the wheel? Yes, using better, more robust materials for the spacers is certainly more sexier than the pre-cut sections of black PVC tubing that W7FG uses, but in my book form follows function.

Bruce

Real transmitters are homebrewed with a ratchet wrench, and you have to stand up to tune them!

Arthur C. Clarke's Third Law: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic".
WU2D
Contributing

CW is just a narrower version of AM

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2007, 10:26:57 PM »

This is how Frank makes Ladder Line...

Mike WU2D

* FranksLadderLine.jpg (180.83 KB, 943x1408 - viewed 497 times.)

These are the good old days of AM
W1EUJ
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2007, 12:09:32 AM »

>Buy the pre-made 600 ohm feedline from W7FG, and call it a day. As has been >posted on these pages quite recently in the past, this stuff is cheap, well->made, reliable, lightweight, etc. In short, it does everything well that 600 ohm >open wire feeders are supposed to do.

It offends my asthetic sensibilities :-)  I've got the wire from an estate sale, just need the spacers to transform the doublet antenna into its transmision line. I'll ask a friend to turn some rods to spacers.

Dave Goncalves
W1EUJ
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2007, 12:14:38 PM »

Considering the time and PITA factor, you'll never be able to make it for less than W7FG charges.  That is Fine Business Schtuff indeed.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
WA1GFZ

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2007, 12:19:47 PM »

I only use Johnson spreaders. A good day's work and they last for ever.
KA1ZGC
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2007, 02:01:53 PM »

Considering the time and PITA factor

Huh

Five minutes with a reasonably-sharp saw and a drill? Where's the PITA come in?
K8WBL
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2007, 02:24:39 PM »

If your talking about the green garden steaks that Home Depot has, they are plastic covered metal, not sure if aluminum or what...didnt know until I cut one in half....

73, Tim K8WBL
KA1ZGC
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2007, 01:04:47 PM »

If your talking about the green garden steaks that Home Depot has, they are plastic covered metal, not sure if aluminum or what...didnt know until I cut one in half....

They must have changed them recently, then. For years they were just solid fiberglass.

I'll bet someone still has fiberglass ones, though.

--Thom
Killer Album One Zappa's Greatest Compositions
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2007, 02:54:18 PM »

Huh

Going to Home Depot and purchasing a bunch of lengths of PVC
Purchase wire
Cutting 'em and notching 'em
Stringing out 2 parallel lengths of wire, making sure to tension them just enough on each end
Attaching said spreaders at regular intervals

Cost = materials + a couple hours + a mess-o-four letter words when the wire breaks, notched a spreader too much so it falls off, wire gets tangled, etc.

W7FG:  cost I would guess about the same less all the hassles

There's a lot of homebrew and manual labor type stuff associated with ham radio I enjoy.  This would not be one of them.  To anyone else, knock yerself out - to each his/her own Grin

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
W1EUJ
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2007, 05:50:55 PM »

But I already have the wire!

I'm only making a 50 ft. run - nothing that long. If I had need for a longer run, than the cost of the time and material to roll my own would exceed the 'FG feedline, and I'd buy some.

David Goncalves
W1EUJ
KA1ZGC
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2007, 07:50:11 PM »

Huh

Going to Home Depot and purchasing a bunch of lengths of PVC

Where did I say "PVC"? I went back and read it again, and I don't see it.

Purchase wire

He's got wire already.

Cutting 'em and notching 'em

Notching? I've always drilled my fiberglass spacers. Takes mere seconds, even with a hand drill!

Stringing out 2 parallel lengths of wire, making sure to tension them just enough on each end
Attaching said spreaders at regular intervals

That's far more complicated than my method, but c'est la vie.

Cost = materials + a couple hours + a mess-o-four letter words when the wire breaks, notched a spreader too much so it falls off, wire gets tangled, etc.

...again...

W7FG:  cost I would guess about the same less all the hassles

I'm not guessing when I say the way you build open-wire line is a genuine PITA! A few dollars for a dozen or more spacers doesn't sound too exorbinant to me.

There's a lot of homebrew and manual labor type stuff associated with ham radio I enjoy.  This would not be one of them.  To anyone else, knock yerself out - to each his/her own Grin

I'd say that pretty well sums it up.

--Thom
Keep Away One Zorched Ground Conductor
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2007, 05:55:00 AM »

I've homebrewed original spacers of porcelain and glass, but I'm with Johnny Novice on this one. Making feedline out of stuff you get at Home Depot just aint right. I'll take the w7fg stuff anyday.

When glo gets her glass making setup going, I'm going to ask her if she can make some old buzzardly pyrex insulators in kewl colors like blue and red. Maybe put their call signs on them.
KA1ZGC
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2007, 12:36:16 PM »

I've homebrewed original spacers of porcelain and glass, but I'm with Johnny Novice on this one. Making feedline out of stuff you get at Home Depot just aint right. I'll take the w7fg stuff anyday.

Dont get me wrong, I'm not saying homebrewed open-wire line is any better than the w7fg stuff, just that it's a pretty simple and quick job to lash one together yourself.

Hey, if'n it hold the wires apart and don't conduct, that's all the "right" you be need'n.

Caw mawn.

--Thom
Killer Appetizer One Zesty Green Cannabis
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2007, 10:50:22 PM »

yeh, it's just how you wanna spend your time. With the w7fg stuff available and so cheap, it's just not worth i for me. Now, if I had 50 or so johnson spreaders, somethin to make the interest factor go up. I'd do it. At one time I did have a open wire line with mil surplus porcelain spreaders.

Glo is interested in making spreaders and insulators with Pyrex glass in cool colors like cobalt blue. She'll be able to do it too. She's getting handy at the glassmaking.

I'm down here at my dad's place for a few days. So no radio wok until I get back.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015