The AM Forum
May 01, 2024, 10:58:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 3892 idiots at it again  (Read 7500 times)
kb9edm
« on: December 06, 2007, 10:18:24 AM »

Hi all. Well,they're at it again. These so called hams with their intentional QRM. Did I miss something? I'm a realitive babe(17 yrs.) in the hobby,and thought Ham Radio was to "foster good will." This behavior just escapes me. Are these morons just disgruntled? Has someone pissed in their Cheerios? Are they mad because their wives had to go to work and they can't beat them,and take it out on the air? Are they mad because their kids (or grandkids) went off to school and they can't molest them? It's funny that the frequencies up there are clear as a bell until they hear a carrier. Then they fire up,balls to the walls and brag how they are "turning everything up." And callsigns are rarely given. I know it's hard to police the bands,and as hams we are "self policing." But this is just out of hand. I heard of these squirmishes on 75 and 20 meters,but never really experienced it first hand until the last year or so. When I first got into the hobby,these incidents were rare. But now they seem commonplace. Is this the way Ham Radio is headed? Is the dumbing down of the hobby also include the dumbing down the operators too? Well,I've ranted and raved enough. You all have a great day  73  Jerry/KB9EDM
WA3VJB
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2007, 11:42:43 AM »

Just move the dial Jerry, swing it down low.
A lot cheaper than meds ...
K9ACT
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2007, 12:30:14 PM »

In my crusade to expand our horizons, I called CQ for what seemed like hours on 3705 last night.  I eventually hooked up with a VE3 who didn't seem to comprehend what I was doing but eventually, he found an AM button and we had a real fine QSO.

However, prior to connecting with him, there was this idiot who would respond to every CQ with a quack or two but I could never get him to identify or say enough to get him tuned in.  He just kept on doing this in spite of my suggestions on how we could possibly have a nice QSO.  The only thing I was ever able to copy was "you must be a caveman".

Now I had something concrete to develop a dialog upon and I explained how this caveman built his radio from scratch, using other people's junk.  From the VFO to the finals, speech amp to the modulator... all home made.

So then I turned it over to him asking what part of his station he built and I never heard another peep.

js
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2007, 02:31:10 PM »

Just move the dial Jerry, swing it down low.
A lot cheaper than meds ...

I'll do that if it is causing a serious problem carrying on a QSO.  If the signals are strapping in both directions, I tend to simply ignore.  Let the idiots use their vfo's for a change.  If I'm operating in the Ghetto, inevitably any new frequency is "in use" as soon as I QSY to it.

I overheard a bunch on 3889 a week or so ago bragging about how they chase the AM'ers off 3885 every evening.  If we tuck and run every time, they will continue to squeeze AM operation into smaller and smaller segments of the band.

Things are much better below 3750, and better still, below 3700.  I prefer to operate there, especially in early evening during "prime time".  Later in the evening I generally QSY back to the Ghetto, because there is so little AM activity down below, and activity in the Ghetto thins out so that QSO's are manageable.  However, the idiot factor is not totally non-existent on the lower frequencies, but not nearly so significant as it is on 3879-90.

Another alternative, particularly attractive during this low portion of the sunspot cycle, is 160m (not totally devoid of idiots either, but generally better than 75).

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2007, 03:32:28 PM »

Things are much better below 3750, and better still, below 3700.  I prefer to operate there, especially in early evening during "prime time".  Later in the evening I generally QSY back to the Ghetto, because there is so little AM activity down below, and activity in the Ghetto thins out so that QSO's are manageable.  However, the idiot factor is not totally non-existent on the lower frequencies, but not nearly so significant as it is on 3879-90.

Idiot factor exists everywhere, one of the reasons why we are being a bit more vague about posting specific frequencies. Giving the general range is more than enough. The 'idiot to norm' ratio is definitely a lot better below 3800. The lower you go, the more it improves.

Problem is, no one seems to stay down there for long. When head off for dinner and come back, nobody is left: long band, short band, or otherwise. You and Brent should be able to hear each other fine once the band stretches out and really be able to attract a group down there. Brent talks with G, myself, and a few others on occasion, then heads back up the band once we leave.

The only way we'll have any regular activity down there at night is if we create it, like earlier this past year. Things do quiet down up in the ghetto eventually, but it's generally midnight EDT or after. Okay on the weekends, but tough on a work night.

BTW, was the CCA First Wednesday AM net even on last night? I listened up there and heard nothing but noise from 3875 up to 90. Jamming, heterodyning, etc. Couldn't tell and didn't stick around to try. I have to believe that other parts of the country don't have this garbage, at least not to the same level.

So then I turned it over to him asking what part of his station he built and I never heard another peep.

He was in there earlier too, Jack. Dave W9AD returned my CQ sometime around 6:45 East coast time and we chatted for a bit. This nitwit was in there trying to interfere, but was so pissweak that whatever he was trying to do sounded more like a faint 60 or 120cy buzz. Some suspect he's one of the SSTV weenies who are trying to claim the frequencies from 3710-3720, if you get near there someone will attempt to jam you with all kinds of weird noises (SSTV, facsimilie, whatever). Dave got to laughing so hard he could barely talk. Seems the guy was trying to talk really looow hoping to sound like a bad ass. I couldn't make out enough to tell.

We appear to have an issue of the band going long before folks further west and south are home or done with dinner. Northeast Group is lucky to get in an hour before the band shifts. Then you have to wait or come back in a couple hours, throw out a CQ and hope everyone isn't gone for the night or clustered on 3885 trying to make out someone's call.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
pe1mph

pe1mph AM from Holland

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2007, 03:58:02 PM »

In my crusade to expand our horizons, I called CQ for what seemed like hours on 3705 last night.  I eventually hooked up with a VE3 who didn't seem to comprehend what I was doing but eventually, he found an AM button and we had a real fine QSO.

Hello!
No problem to use 3705 the AM freq. from Europa!
You are all welcome....
If conditions are good, we can make a qso on 3705 in AM.

Till soon,

Henk pe1mph
kb9edm
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2007, 04:21:50 PM »

Hi again guys. Lots of good responses. Just needed to vent,and I thank all of you for listening.  Guess I'll have to pack up and head down the road out of the idiot factor infested ghetto. Have to see if I can bring the rest of our rat pack with too. I also like the post about asking that idiot what he built around his shack. Many of these so called hams even have trouble tuning in stations on their no tune rice boxes. Maybe that's the reason for using frequencies ending in "8's". But I do know that along with the idiots,there are a lot of good operaters out there. Ones I enjoy a QSO with,and are willing to pass on their knowledge of AM as I'm still learning. I do know if I stoop or dumb down to the idiots level it wouldn't make me any better than them. But I do think of ways. How about a key down hetrodyne at high noon with nationwide participation. lol  But thanks again and 73,  Jerry/KB9EDM
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2007, 06:38:27 PM »

Quote from: Todd, KA1KAQ link=topic=12855.msg95356#msg95356

Idiot factor exists everywhere, one of the reasons why we are being a bit more vague about posting specific frequencies. Giving the general range is more than enough. The 'idiot to norm' ratio is definitely a lot better below 3800. The lower you go, the more it improves.

It's self-defeating to claim "ownership" of any frequency, whether it's 3885, 3685, 3705, 15, 25 or 30, etc.  To claim that any certain frequency is an "AM frequency" is to stoop to the same level as the SSB idiots who are too lazy and/or stupid to touch the VFO dial on their hi-tech synthesised appliance.  All frequencies are available on a first-come, first-served basis.

We need to get rid of the notion that the so-called "AM Window" is a place where we voluntarily segregate ourselves for the convenience of the SSB community.  No, for what it is, it's there for OUR convenience, where we might listen first,  where chances are improved that we might find another AM station.  No-one should feel any obligation to remain there if it appears to be more convenient to transmit on a clear frequency elsewhere.

Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
n2bix
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2007, 07:06:41 PM »

I took apart my Hammarlund HQ 145 today and blew out the dust and sprayed all the controls ,ran new coax to it and started listening around on the bands.I ended up on 75 meters and heard some really nice AM signals being put out by W1IA ,solid s-7 down here in south jersey. I went a little farther up the band and tuned in some SSB signals and listened to 30 minutes of nothing but complaints about the horrible AMer's and how they had an agenda and were cavemen using that mode etc etc. They talked about splattering the band and overmodulating the whole time. I found no splattering on the band.They sounded like they went from CB to Multiple guess ham exam and got their ticket and nice store bought equipment and bought all their crappy habits with them. Its time that the FCC included common courtesy questions on the exam that are not included in any study guide. Its called proper UP bringing ! If these people are so worried about bandwidth , why don't they run CW ?What a shame ! Randy 
W4EWH

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2007, 07:11:44 PM »

I usually just cut to the chase: I ask QRM'ers how they got so fat and impotent. Works every time.

73, Bill W1AC

Life's too short for plastic radios.  Wallow in the hollow! - KD1SH
K9ACT
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2007, 07:19:27 PM »

Hello!
No problem to use 3705 the AM freq. from Europa!
You are all welcome....
If conditions are good, we can make a qso on 3705 in AM.

Till soon,

Henk pe1mph

Aw schucks!  I was hoping you were going to say I was rocking your receiver off the bench.

js
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2007, 08:22:13 PM »

...there has continued to be a small group of dedicated anti-AM SSBers on 3878 & 3888/9. I've listened downward from 3878 when this bunch would start up on top of an existing AM QSO on 3880 and there was plenty of 'dead air' there that they could have used, same with the bunch on 3888/9. There's just a certain type of personality at work with these guys that I don't understand. Surprisingly, several of these guys are old time hams who readily admit that they used AM when it was the only thing available. I've never been able to grasp the rationale that because they changed over to SSB use that all amateurs should/must do likewise.

I have found those to be the worst cases, the veterans of the AM/SSB wars of the 60's who never got over it.  It pisses them off that AM still exists.  Kind of like some people down south who were still fighting the Civil War as late as the 50's and 60's and who would readily and openly express vehement hatred for "yankees" (and often, blacks).

I rarely hear that mentality amongst newer hams, except for maybe a few ex-CB'ers who operated "sideband" on 11m and looked down their noses at anyone who used AM, as a member of the unwashed masses, and who brought that chip on their shoulder with them when they "got into HAM".  Most newer hams just think of AM as one of the modes available with no strong feeling one way or another, along with SSB, CW and FM.  After all, there is an "AM" mode on their ricebox, so why wouldn't anyone not want to use it?

- - -
ka2zni
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2007, 09:35:02 AM »

Well, Since these guys are in my backyard basically, we invested in some recording equipment, and will be taking some recordings, dates, times, voice "duplication" on other frequencies that match the so-called un-identifier etc etc etc ....

Riley will be hearing from me quite often from here on out with hard core recorded evidence... Someone will finally get tired of it after a while.

Until than.... I guess the Ghetto is Big Strapper country.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015