The AM Forum
April 29, 2024, 09:20:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 3870 came and went!  (Read 3889 times)
K7NCR
« on: December 09, 2007, 10:38:02 PM »

Hi!
Sunday, 5:30 PM Mountain Time. I got all the gear warmed up and waited on the NW spot, 3870. Suddenly, signals came booming in! I pounced between QSO's, hoping to be heard. Them guys know how to "old buzzard" back-to-back! Then, as soon as it came, it went. I swear, some day soon my voice will be heard on AM somewhere else beside my own headphones! Hope you all are having a GREAT holiday season!
Norm K7NCR
W1IA

« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2007, 11:03:41 PM »

On the air now Norm and the band has just made a huge change (10:45 Est)
Was chatting with VE3UPZ Randy and he was 20 over and within a few minute went down into the noise. Welcome to winter conditions.

Talking with KC8VOW, WA1QIX, WB2GCR, N1AMF, W0ZR and WB2GCR.

Brent W1IA

Run What Ya Brung!
W1IA

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2007, 12:22:29 AM »

Hmmmmm, short post but on a big page? Must be part of this newfound 'BandMaster Image' status thing that you now enjoy from the new antennas.  Wink I can see the headlines now "Massive Frostbite Suffered by AM Hams", all out there in blizzards trying to raise phased dipoles and K9AY loops! Shocked

The antennas are working great but I'm not sure the administrators are going to like the big page thing. Grin

Mack

HA ...Mack my brain went into vapor lock. I edited the spacing. Interent Explorer suks...I am using Mozilla now and was trying to figure out if the problem was fixed.

Brent

Run What Ya Brung!
ka2zni
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2007, 12:30:05 AM »

Brent,

You sounded big into Western Pa tonight, Like how you handled the guys on 3878, I couldn't hear them after you politely ask them to move, good job and well handled on your part.

I was going to jump in but you had enough stations bombarding ya, so I just hung out on the sidelines and listened for a change.

Catch ya all next time around the dial...

Jason did seem excited didn't he?!  Grin Ha Ha.....

73's,
Kevin
W7XXX
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2007, 11:05:53 AM »

Norm, Yes as one of the "old timers" on NW 3870, I will say it wasn't because they didn't hear you, it was because the flood of newcomers mostly appliance operators never listen after a transmission, just key up and start talking. Many never take notes, have no idea whose turn it is, and never keep time on their transmissions and taylor them to the group size. I have seen it as large as 25 and if each operator talks 10 minutes (usually much more), that is 250 minutes before you get to transmit and then some have signed and others joined so your comments maybe of no interest. It is a good bunch of guys, but somewhere in the last few years basic AM roundtable courtesy has been forgotten. I have long advocated using more frequencies with smaller groups, one on ones, etc., but most are afraid to battle the sidebanders as they have been brainwashed into this AM window nonsense. Email me and I will set up a sked with you, prehaps we can get some other freqs used on AM. We have a small homebrew group that uses a lower freq below the General 3850 and don't have much sideband problem. I have a 2 second delay for in rush current on my big rig and the only reason the 3870 bunch knows I broke in is they hear me over the guy with the quick finger and push to squawk.
W1IA

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2007, 07:57:54 PM »

Brent,

You sounded big into Western Pa tonight, Like how you handled the guys on 3878, I couldn't hear them after you politely ask them to move, good job and well handled on your part.

I was going to jump in but you had enough stations bombarding ya, so I just hung out on the sidelines and listened for a change.

Catch ya all next time around the dial...

Jason did seem excited didn't he?!  Grin Ha Ha.....

73's,
Kevin
Ya Kevin Jason did seem rather excited? I spent too much time with a ham that insisted he could run 700 watts carrier with an SB220..ARRGH! Oh well...back to the bench.

Brent

Run What Ya Brung!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015