The AM Forum
April 27, 2024, 04:15:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Alas, I finally had a transmitter failure :-) :-)  (Read 7157 times)
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« on: November 19, 2007, 06:15:19 PM »

WAAYYYYY back in 2002 (no, not as far back as the days of vacuum tubes  Wink  [I had a college professor back in '73 who used to constantly say "Back in the days of vacuum tube, we did it like this ..... but of course ...... (etc.)]

Anyway, back in 2002, I built my "main" class E rig, and it's been flawless - until A FEW DAYS AGO !!!  I was taking to the Dirk-a-tron (WA2CYT), and had just signed out - and went back to make some quippy comment when - ALAS - the transmitter WOULDN'T TRANSMIT !!!!  Huh

Not be be daunted, I looked at the overload indicators, and found one of the modules was indeed causing an overload and shutting the transmitter down.  Really.  I was indignant.  But, taking out my trusty Simpson 260 (analog meters RULE !), and measuring the DC resistance of the drain bus to ground, I found about 0 ohms.  Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm..... Looks like a blown FET - and after all these years, too..

So, I dutifully unsoldered the drains of the MOSFETs, one at a time and waited for the short to clear.... Got to the last one, unsoldered it, and the short was STILL THERE !!!  Well, it WASN'T a FET...  Maybe a TransZorb?  I unsoldered the drain protection transzorbs - the short was *still* there.   Hmmmmmm, now what?  There were only 2 components left - the output RF transformer and the RF bypass capacitor (a .15uF, 250 Volt unit).

Well, I unsoldered the bypass cap and VIOLLIA !  That was the problem.  A shorted RF bypass cap.  Replaced it with a nice orange drop and was back in business  Cool Cool

Oh well, it was nice to get some of the dust off the RF output heatsink.  I haven't touched it in a LONG LONG time   Wink

Have a very happy and safe Thanksgiving (watch out for that high voltage !  Cheesy

Regards,

Steve

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
WA1GFZ

« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2007, 07:00:03 PM »

11N90s Rock, not like the good old days trying to jam RF through a TO3
KF1Z

Are FETs supposed to glow like that?

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2007, 10:00:19 PM »

Tried to  get in this morning to comment on your cap failure... alas, didn't get through the masses.......

My orange drops only get very slightly warm to the touch..... (0.15uF  600V)
(The output transformers stay cool)

Someday, I was planning on taking Frank's advice, and putting in several smaller value caps...
But, it's been working FB, so why mess with it?

There's "no" RF on the DC lines outsid the transmitter... so I assume they are doing what they're supposed to..

WA1GFZ

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2007, 09:33:01 AM »

orange drops have a lot of ESL above 1 MHz. That is why they run warm. I blew the foil caps in my 160 meter rig one by one. I had 5 in parallel. They really need low Z caps in parallel to do the complete job. 
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2007, 10:59:01 AM »

I think there's a jinx involved, Steve. You were using that transmitter in March when we were talking and my mod tranny went west. Wouldn't surprise me if the Spirit of T.O.M. was involved somehow!  Shocked

At least you got it repaired a whole lot faster than I did!

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2007, 05:40:16 PM »

I think there's a jinx involved, Steve. You were using that transmitter in March when we were talking and my mod tranny went west. Wouldn't surprise me if the Spirit of T.O.M. was involved somehow!  Shocked

At least you got it repaired a whole lot faster than I did!

Hi Todd,

I forgot about that :-)  Hey, what's T.O.M.  ?  I probably should know, but I'm not making a connection.

Happy Thanksgiving !

Steve

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2007, 06:13:24 PM »

I forgot about that :-)  Hey, what's T.O.M.  ?  I probably should know, but I'm not making a connection.

Happy Thanksgiving !

Steve

T.O.M.   =  The Old Man, the Father of American Amature Radio.

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
Happiness is Hot Tubes, Cold 807's, and warm room filling AM Sound.
 "I've spent three quarters of my life trying to figure out how to do a $50 job for $.50, the rest I spent trying to come up with the $0.50" - D. Gingery
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2007, 07:30:22 PM »

[/quote]

Hi Todd,

Happy Thanksgiving !

Steve

[/quote]

You should be verry, verry carrfull...

* wh.gif (23.24 KB, 600x183 - viewed 340 times.)

What? Me worry?
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2007, 10:11:20 AM »

T.O.M.   =  The Old Man, the Father of American Amature Radio.

Also inventor of the silencer for guns. And son of Hiram Stevens Maxim who invented the Maxim Machine gun.
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2007, 10:58:12 AM »

He's haunting Steve's transmitter because it's Class E, instead of Class E-Z.  Wink

Happy Thanksgiving to you also Steve, Steve, and anyone else who dares to celebrate the holiday honoring pilgrims, injuns, and turkey sacrifice. I get hungry just thinking about it.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
k7yoo

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2007, 04:41:00 PM »

Machine guns and amateur radio......All from a guy in New England.

Where has all of our culture gone?
K6JEK
Contributing

RF in the shack

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2007, 07:32:32 PM »

Are you believing this stuff?   Not me.  I figure an alligator clip fell off and shorted something.   Steve's just covering, blaming it on a defenseless capacitor.

Jon
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2007, 08:09:47 PM »

Nah, I don't believe any of that malarky!!
Not for a second.

Obviously it happened because he was in QSO with Crappy Yellowy & Tinny the DIRK-A-TRON - PHASE POLICE!!

Grin Grin Grin Shocked Shocked

_-_-WBear2GCR

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
K6JEK
Contributing

RF in the shack

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2007, 02:11:39 PM »

Machine guns and amateur radio......All from a guy in New England.

Where has all of our culture gone?
Yesterday we were chiding my son, home for Thanksgiving, about his school and football.   Well do you know what MIT is big in? Shooting.  They compete with the military academies and do well.   They beat the US Coast Guard last month and lost narrowly to West Point just this week.    So, I guess, hell yes,  Guns and Volts and New England.

http://mitathletics.cstv.com/sports/c-pistol/recaps/111907aaa.html

Jon
WU2D
Contributing

CW is just a narrower version of AM

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2007, 09:46:49 AM »

Hi Steve,

I had a cap crap out on my 1928 breadboard - main coupling cap off the feed choke. Turned it into a yodeler. One of those painted micamolds of yore. I guess it couldn't take the 350 VDC and awesome RF level that the 45 tube was dishing.

Mike WU2D

* StupidCAP.jpg (345.99 KB, 2032x1591 - viewed 354 times.)

These are the good old days of AM
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015