The AM Forum
April 27, 2024, 07:50:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help with Hammond RE12232 transformer  (Read 3829 times)
K8WBL
« on: November 18, 2007, 09:08:20 AM »

Hello group, trying to find out some specifications on a Hammond RE12232 plate transformer, have had no luck trying to google it...maybe some of the elmers here can help me...

73, Tim K8WBL
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2007, 09:53:30 AM »

If it is current production/nomenclature, did you check the Hammond website?

Short of that, you can determine the turns ratio using a low voltage xfmr on the primary, and a voltmeter to test the rest. That will get you "in the park". Then the core size will pretty much tell you the power range by comparison to other Hammond or similar transformers.

_-_-bear

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
VE7 Kilohertz

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2007, 11:12:53 AM »

Those are OEM numbers Hammond put on for their end customer (RCA, Gates etc)

You can call Hammond in Ontario and give them the number. They have files going WAY back in their archive and should be able to give you the spec's.

Good luck.

Paul

Women. Ya can't live with them......pass the beer nuts!
K8WBL
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2007, 09:31:44 PM »

Thanks guys....I will have to call Hammond or just experiment with low voltages on the primary/secondary..it is old and I did check the current Hammond transformer numbers...nothing like this number on current productions.    I suspect it is a higher voltage output for the 4-400 he stuffed in the RF section of the GK500A...read old posts that seem to indicate that the plate voltage on the original 4-250 was lower than it should be for the tube to run linearly or efficiently.  Don't honestly know if that is true but that would explain why its been changed out...and the 866A's were solid stated.

73, Tim K8WBL
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2007, 03:53:05 PM »

Too bad Fred Hammond is SK.  If he were still around he probably would look up the information himself and send it to you.  I knew him personally, and I can vouch that he was one hell of a nice guy, with an unexpected level of integrity and class.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2007, 01:58:15 PM »

Boy, you've got that right Don. Didn't know him personally but worked him on the air several times when I was Wa3ypi. He was a very gracious man and fun to work.

Back before the great 4D32 dump, he offered me a 4D32 gratis over the air when he heard I was running a 32V2 thinking they might becoming somewhat scarce.  So that had to be after '94 sometime.  Ought to look it up.

RICK  *W3RSW*
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015