The AM Forum
May 02, 2024, 12:49:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: AM "Where all the CQs are !"  (Read 8116 times)
WA3VJB
« on: November 12, 2007, 07:18:25 PM »

I called CQ around 4PM this afternoon on 3725 and had an excellent chat with Will, N4WN at Annandale, VA, retired from NASA Goddard 28 years ago. He has been licensed 60 years, and said he's been getting on AM more and more because
"That's where the CQs are !! " noting they're seldom heard on sideband these days.

By the time he signed out, we had him talking about all his old Hallicrafters rigs he had years ago, and he said he'd be back. Todd, KA1KAQ later remarked that Will sounded like he was maybe in his 70s, but it turns out this past Nov 5, he turned 91.

* N4WN.mp3 (603.75 KB - downloaded 316 times.)
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2007, 09:42:13 AM »

Quite a group down there last night, thanks for throwing out your CQ earlier and getting things rolling, Paul. At one point, the group got so large that we could've (and should've) split off into another QSO somewhere else. Then some folks bailed out for dinner etc., and things slowed down a bit. Ended up talking with Joe 'GMS for a good while about old ops, old gear, and the history involved. Signed with him and Ralph 'GL came back in, he'd been listening to me abut lost Joe as the band went long.

Ended the night with Brian WA5AM jumping in for a quick exchange with Ralph and I. The band was still in a state of flux, but his signal continued to build. A taste of things to come.

Was good hearing your signal down on 80 again, Paul. Looking forward to better, more stable conditions to come. Lately the band goes out by 7PM or so, sometimes earlier.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2007, 09:55:46 AM »

Hi Todd..... storms all nite here in Northern Ohio kept noise above S9+20. I tried to listen in but the cratic stashes were just too much.
We'll try again tonite.
K9ACT
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2007, 10:14:03 AM »

Called CQ for 15 mins on 3720 at 9:30 CST and gave up.

js
Ed-VA3ES

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2007, 10:15:10 AM »

My local  S9+30 QRM put the kybosh on hearing any weaker signals.     But I heard you guys and was very tempted to drop in.   

I must do something about that vile QRM.  I believe its  a damnable plasma TV  my neighbors own.  It's trash travels along the coax shield of the cable, which is strung along my fence posts.   Cable co. won't bury it 'til the spring.  I suppose I could just cut it.  Or burn their house down?

"There ain't a slaw-bukit inna worl, that kin jam me!!"
AF9J
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2007, 10:48:35 AM »

Called CQ for 15 mins on 3720 at 9:30 CST and gave up.

js

Hi Jack,

I think I'm in the same situation propogationwise as you.  The band starts to go long after 6 or 7 PM, and we're too close to for the East Coast and a large part of the South, and not quite long enough for the West Coast.  I guess it means getting on really early (say 4 PM) or (and I REALLY need to get something for this) 160m.

Ellen - AF9J
K3ZS

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2007, 11:00:35 AM »

Paul- Heard your qso (not the cq), and was going to join but the crowd got too big and I had to leave for dinner.   However I went down to around 3680 and answered a CQ from K2VXV.   Shortly after signing off about 10 minutes late for dinner, a few other hams called in.   I was mentioning about hearing the ham with 60 years talking to you.   All the hams that popped in said they had over 50 years as hams.   I noticed another AM qso at around 3685 at the same time.   It is encouraging to see more activity at the low end of the band rather than in the "ghetto".   I plan on calling CQ more often, there are AM'ers out there looking for contacts.
WA3VJB
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2007, 01:43:43 PM »

I plan on calling CQ more often, there are AM'ers out there looking for contacts.

Ya, fer shure!

here's a sampler of condx ystdy afternoon

I don't have any of mine, and I needed it the most since I have some kind of rumbly spur I need to fix

* Nov12-3725cEdit (2).mp3 (906.28 KB - downloaded 374 times.)
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2007, 03:24:46 PM »

Nice recording. That HUZ Station sounds hnyellowee.
ve6pg

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2007, 03:38:08 PM »

...band is going long abt 6pm est.
  160 has been great, after that.....tim...sk...

...Yes, my name is Tim Smith...sk..
AF9J
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2007, 08:56:47 PM »

My Scout 680 is still out of service, but I switched on the SX-96 to see what was happening tonight, after I finished my laundry.  The time was 0110z.  I heard Todd, KA1KAQ; Paul, WA3VJB;  and Brent, W1IA, all in a nice, big roundtable on 3725.  It also sounded like you guys had a couple of 5-landers in the mix.  The band was starting to go long. with signals occasionally dropping out.  But, when you guys were strong, you were really strong here in Wisconsin, with full quieting in some cases.   

73 & way to go,
Ellen - AF9J
ve6pg

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2007, 11:59:27 PM »

..ellen, there is a group west of me here, in minnesota, es Wisconsin on 3725 most mornings...gud sigs this way. if u find urself at home during the week, listen on 3725 at abt 8-9am, est...tim...sk..

...Yes, my name is Tim Smith...sk..
WA3VJB
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2007, 04:51:45 AM »

Nice recording. That HUZ Station sounds hnyellowee.

You were banging 140% positive dood, hurting my diode thang.

Fixed the rumbly by the way, confirmed by DUQ and GL last evening.

Operator error. When you reminded me that you had mentioned the same problem last year, it clued me.  Iffen I want the 3700s clean, I have to retune the oscillator stage as well as the RF tank. I am not in the habit of doing that in my typical dog run around 3885Kc. Same oversight last year when running down low.
AF9J
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2007, 06:51:05 AM »

..ellen, there is a group west of me here, in minnesota, es Wisconsin on 3725 most mornings...gud sigs this way. if u find urself at home during the week, listen on 3725 at abt 8-9am, est...tim...sk..

Hi Tim,

I took off this Friday from work.  If the new driver tube for the Scout arrives by then, I'll try to check it out on Friday.  Thanks for the info. Smiley

Ellen - AF9J
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015