The AM Forum
May 19, 2024, 01:22:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A Hopeful Sign - ARRL and MFJ Team Up to Offer 40 Meter Transceiver Kits  (Read 3982 times)
W1UJR
« on: November 04, 2007, 07:19:43 AM »

I'd say a very a solid start.
Now, if it was Elecraft, I'd really be impressed!
-W1UJR

Lifted from --> http://www.arrl.org/?artid=7817

ARRL and MFJ Team Up to Offer 40 Meter Transceiver Kits 

Earlier this fall, ARRL introduced the third edition of its Low Power Communication book, authored by Rich Arland, W3OSS. This new edition includes the complete assembly manual for a 40 meter transceiver kit produced by MFJ Enterprises. "ARRL has also bundled the book with the kit, giving readers a firsthand experience at project-building and operating," said ARRL Sales and Marketing Manager Bob Inderbitzen, NQ1R.

This is the first time ARRL has offered a publication bundled with a radio kit. Inderbitzen said orders for the kit have been brisk. "We're delighted that MFJ agreed to collaborate with us on this unique publication and product undertaking. The initial surge of interest exceeded our expectation, and we've already gone back to MFJ a couple of times for more units." With such a high demand for these kits, the ARRL has experienced a large number of orders and the League regrets any inconvenience with order delays.

The kit selected for this offering is the MFJ 40 Meter CW Cub Transceiver Kit. The project includes some pre-assembled parts such as surface mounted components. Kit builders get to solder on connectors, inductors, trimmer capacitors and potentiometers. It takes only a few hours to complete the kit and get it on the air. "Building the kit is a natural application for someone enjoying this book," said Inderbitzen. "ARRL is committed to developing active radio amateurs. I can't think of a better way to encourage more hams to experience low-power operating and building, as well as helping to grow the community of active QRPers."

Visit the ARRL on-line catalog for more information about ARRL's Low Power Communication--third edition, the Cub Transceiver Kit and other new publications. --> http://www.arrl.org/catalog/

Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2007, 09:13:03 AM »

Must have been some good interest. It is already out of stock
Carl/KPDi

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
WA3VJB
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2007, 11:42:04 AM »

Anyone see a price anywhere ? Found it, $100.

I'd like to know how these have been selling briskly when they have just been announced.

Maybe it's a buyback thing, where subscription revenue buys a gross of these from MFJ so's they can "sell" really well.

And / or, I wonder if the club is subsidizing these in any way.
W1UJR
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2007, 11:53:20 AM »

Hi Paul,

I think MFJ sells just the kit for $99, so seems that with the ARRL book to be a pretty good deal.

As for me, I don't care who subsidizes it, I'm excited that our League is offering this!
I'm hoping for the best, especially if other kit companies, Ten-Tec, Elecraft, Sierra, etc. jumped on board.

Kit from MFJ --> http://www.mfjenterprises.com/products.php?prodid=MFJ-9340K

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2007, 02:35:54 PM »

The ARRL should also partner with Radio Shack, or maybe even MFJ, to develop a line of ham/radio related educational type kits.

Likewise, partnering with a large parts distributor like Mouser, the "ARRL team" could develop kit projects around the large volume of parts that the distributor carries. And, ARRL members would get a 10& discount off any parts ordered from the distributor.

In the 21st century, in business and probably even ham radio, partnering with other businesses, groups, and even country organizations, is a wise decision. The "old days" of standing alone, while it might be perceived as "noble", is a poor choice for future survival and growth.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015