The AM Forum
May 01, 2024, 08:29:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How much is this stuff worth?  (Read 8020 times)
N1ESE
« on: November 03, 2007, 01:30:23 PM »

Now that I've purchased a receiver, I'm now shopping around for a transmitter.  Something in the area of a Apache, DX-100, Viking II.  Could someone tell me what prices are like on these rigs so I don't end up paying too much?  I see prices all over the map on AM gear.  For example, one rig I am looking at, there's a rusty Viking II on ePay currently, the current bid is ~$160 with 20 hours left.  Is this price already beyond what it is worth in this condition, what would be a good price on something in this condition?

Here is the link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130168029245

Thanks

- JT
N1ESE
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2007, 01:48:35 PM »

What about an Apache for $250?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250183022396

- JT
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2007, 02:01:53 PM »

You can generally do much better at hamfests.  There were 3 Apaches and a NC-300 available as a package deal - $200/all - at the recent Westminster, MD hamfest.  2 of the Apaches were pretty much parts units but you could probably make 2 good ones out of the three.

You're farther ahead if you can find one on eBay close enough to pick up though.  A fully working ready-to-play Apache for $250 isn't too far out of line.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
N1ESE
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2007, 02:15:02 PM »

Thanks Johnny.

I just missed NEAR-fest where all the big AM crew was so chances of finding a transmitter at one of the local, smaller, hamfests may prove difficult, although not impossible if I am patient, until next Spring when NEAR-fest returns.

FWIW, I paid $250 plus $50 shipping for a clean and working NC-183.

- JT
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2007, 02:49:29 PM »

FORTUNATELY Hamfests are still worth the trip. You do not have to worry about a higher bidder for something that's not worth the pumped up prices of eBay. Even though, during my rich days I missed a chance for a Collins 32V2 for $600 un-touched. No mods or extra holes. Original owner. It was an SK sale.
Fred

Fred KC4MOP
N1ESE
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2007, 02:57:22 PM »

Yeah, I agree, but some of the hamfests up here are truly not worth the trip.  With winter approaching, hamfest season is pretty much over until late Feb./ early March.  I don't want to wait this long to buy a TX.  There was a local hamfest here today but no AM stuff.   There are only two hamfest left this year and both are pretty small.  I'll drive pretty far for a good hamfest but won't go south of NYC.  That's too far IMO with gas expected to exceed $3/gal soon.

- JT
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2007, 09:48:31 PM »

Well keep in mind two things:

- you never know what you will find at a hamfest
- you never know what someone else will get to first at a hamfest that you wanted!
- and there is no shipping at a hamfest, so all things being equal you save that over an internet purchase - that and the grief of badly packed stuff arriving looking like a wheel chock for a 747!  Grin Shocked Shocked Shocked

Ok, three things...

The other thing is that there are some relatively cheeeep SSB rigs (soylent state) that can be converted to FB sounding AM "exciters" that then can be used to drive a Lyn-ee-are. Quite a few folks do just this and sound very good on the air. That's possibly one way to go in the interim.

_-_-Wooly Bully Two Great Cheeze Rustlers

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2007, 10:16:28 PM »

"   That's too far IMO with gas expected to exceed $3/gal soon.  "

Paid $$3.099 in sorrycuze to day........ wheerrrss buckweat???  klc

What? Me worry?
N1ESE
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2007, 10:42:54 PM »

Nice Mack, thanks for sharing.

- JT
AF9J
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2007, 10:59:11 PM »

Mack, that Ranger looks like a million bucks!

Ellen - AF9J
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2007, 12:27:36 AM »

I'm to used the days when I could go on the local 2 meter cb swapmeet lookin for "boatanchors" and come back in my 1963 ford fair lane station wagon with 6 transmitters and 4 recievers in it for free, week after week.

the prices of "collectable" gear is what drove me to build my HB rig. I'm spoiled by time I guess. I wuz raised on cheap radios, when they stopped being cheap,
I stopped buying em.
ve6pg

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2007, 07:51:56 AM »

..dx100b was on the ontario swap shop last week...went fer 150.00
   ...sk..

...Yes, my name is Tim Smith...sk..
ve6pg

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2007, 11:54:24 AM »

www.ontarioswapshop.com

...Yes, my name is Tim Smith...sk..
Ed-VA3ES

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2007, 01:47:17 PM »

..dx100b was on the ontario swap shop last week...went fer 150.00  
Yup, I bought it. That makes #4.  Soon I'm going to be like Irb, with a collection of 'em!  Grin

Just like my Apaches,  I fix 'em up, do up the mods for fun, then get rid of them.  Still have three left to do.  I'll probably keep two DX-100's, and two Rangers.  One each Apache and a Ranger are already spoken for.

"There ain't a slaw-bukit inna worl, that kin jam me!!"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015