The AM Forum
May 02, 2024, 09:11:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 80/40M Full Wave Loops -- "Chevron" or "ZZ" Style  (Read 4149 times)
W9GT

Nipper - Manager of K9 Affairs

« on: November 02, 2007, 08:05:52 AM »

Has anyone tried this design for a full wave loop?  I thought I might try this and see if any appreciable improvement over an inverted vee. I plan to feed it with open wire and a tuner.  I have previously had really great success with a diamond configuration 40 M loop (single element quad), but I don't know how this will work when "scrunching together" the top and bottom.  Sort of like two inverted vees tied together.

http://www.ideascreateideas.com/zzwavenet.html

73,  Jack, W9GT

Tubes and Black Wrinkle Rule!!
73, Jack, W9GT
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2007, 10:37:55 PM »

Jack,

What little I know about antennas says that there is no way to make a small antenna perform like a large/high one.

But having said that, IF the thing actually looks like the impedance claimed, and you can feed it with balanced line - DEFINITELY NOT A BALUN or two(!!) - it may look fairly broadbanded.

If you get it up in the air, it will almost certainly act very differently than it does as shown, near the ground.

I'd try to model it in EZNEC or something like that, before I tried to put one up myself - there are a number of folks here who understand how to drive that software, I'm a novice with it, perhaps someone will volunteer or can help you make it fly??

It might be a good compromise ant for a small lot - dunno.

_-_-WBear2GCR

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
ab3al
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2007, 11:08:09 PM »

try this

http://www.dxzone.com/cgi-bin/dir/jump2.cgi?ID=12940

worked good for me until the wind brougt my supports down..
inverted l now
ve6pg

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2007, 04:10:04 AM »

...they both look too complicated, meaning, the tuner is doing all the werk, therefore likely dont werk very well...with the dims of wire used, it would be best to put up the longest vee possible, feed with open wire line, and forget the balun...or, put up 4 poles in ur yard,or use trees, make a horizontal loop, fed with open wire to a tuner..
 i put up a horizontal loop fer a friend. small lot, and fed it near his window...werks great. total wire length is maybe 260ft, and it werks 160-6 metres....the beauty of the loop, is that you can feed it anywhere you want....tim...sk..

...Yes, my name is Tim Smith...sk..
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2007, 09:20:56 AM »

I did a full wave loop for 160M and fed it with coax. The first one went through the trees and in a zig-zag fashion. The other was a nice pentagon style type of loop. The both worked great. The nice thing about them is you don't have the problem of static build up since it is in essence a dead short to ground. I can't put one up now because the supports (trees) are too far away from the shack. I would need close to a mile-of-wire to put up a loop now.

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
KF1Z

Are FETs supposed to glow like that?

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2007, 10:52:46 AM »

If you already have an inverted V..... keep it.....

While this "ZZ"  design might have the advantage of being a slightly quieter ant... (closed loop).....

It brings your feedpoint down by at least 25 feet....

If your going to use balance line and a tuner anyway (would not be needed with the "ZZ" loops)

Then why not just keep one dipole, as long as you can make it, as high as you can get it, use the balanced line and tuna....and you'll be happy.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015