The AM Forum
April 27, 2024, 06:45:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My first AM station..  (Read 19502 times)
N1ESE
« on: November 01, 2007, 08:48:42 AM »

Hey guys, I've been wanting to get on AM for many years but never really did anything about it.  However, I am think I am finally ready to start putting together a station.  I want to keep the station as compact as possible but still have decent receive and transmit audio.  I've read Johnny's RX guide many times over the years but most of the rigs, with the exception of the Drake series, seemed huge compared to what I was wanting.  However, I recently discovered Slab Bacon's RX guide and intrigued by his comments on the Hammarlund HQ-110 (not discussed in Johnny's guide).

I've found an OM selling a clean and working HQ-110 along with a Knight T-150 transmitter.  Would this make a decent AM station for a newbie?  Ultimately, I'd like to build a Class-E transmitter.

Thanks

- JT
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2007, 09:14:04 AM »

Sure it would!  A great beginner station, but don't expect a rock crushing signal or broadcast quality audio.

I'm of the opinion that you should buy the best receiver you possibly can from the gitgo to avoid frustration, but OTOH there's nothing wrong with starting small either.

A compact station is one goal, to be sure, but I'll betchya sooner or later you're gonna be jonesing for an old broadcast xmitter  Grin

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
N1ESE
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2007, 09:28:46 AM »

I'm of the opinion that you should buy the best receiver you possibly can from the gitgo to avoid frustration, but OTOH there's nothing wrong with starting small either.
I agree, I'm just not sure what to buy for a receiver.. even after reading Johnny's and Slab Bacon's guides.  Although, the NC-183 that W4WSZ is selling here might be a good choice.

- JT

The Slab Bacon

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2007, 09:59:58 AM »

An HQ-110 isnt a bad receiver for a starter, they usually go fairly cheap and perform very well for a lower end receiver. the Q-multiplier gives good adjustable selectivity, and they have enough IF bandwidth to make pretty good audio with Larry's feedback mod.

An NC-183 can make very good audio, but is a little broad for crowded prime time band conditions. However they can kick butt and take names if you add an outboard Q-multiplier like one of the old Heathkit QF-1s (I think thats the model #)

However I would reconsider the T-150 for a transmitter. IIRC they are screen modded in the phone mode and only put out something like 25 or 30w in AM. A Johnson Viking 2 or Greafkit DX-100 or Apache would be a lot better choice, as they are relatively cheap and plentiful. And also put out 100w. T-150s are kind of wimpy.

FWIW, I will be adding another 5 or 6 receivers to the "Road Test" article sometime this winter, as soon as I get some time to type it up.

The Slab Bacon

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
N1ESE
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2007, 10:25:12 AM »

Thanks for the reply Slab Bacon.  I just made an offer on W4WSZ's NC-183 with speaker.  I'll pass on the Knight T-150 and look into a better TX for now until I build my own.

- JT

WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2007, 11:35:08 AM »

Welcome aboard JT !
w5omr

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2007, 11:41:53 AM »

Thanks for the reply Slab Bacon.  I just made an offer on W4WSZ's NC-183 with speaker.  I'll pass on the Knight T-150 and look into a better TX for now until I build my own.

The 150 wouldn't be bad - around 100w out into a good working antenna at a decent height will get you coast-to-coast.
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2007, 11:52:39 AM »

Geoff,
        IIRC the T-150 will only do 100w on CW, but does something like 25 or 30w in Am. I think they were scream modulated in the phone mode. (but I have been wrong in the past) You might want to check on that.

The Slab Bacon

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
N1ESE
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2007, 11:56:00 AM »

Well, I downloaded the manual from BAMA and it says 150W input power and doesn't really say there is any power difference between AM or CW.  It is, however, screen modulated.

- JT
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2007, 12:22:27 PM »

Best receiver (price/performance) for AM use is an old Hammarlund SuperPro - SP200, SP400, or the military BC-779/BC-1004.  The separate power supply is a pain, but beautiful audio, stout construction, and some really great features not found in other receivers.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
AF9J
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2007, 12:49:10 PM »

Hi JT, 

Welcome to AMFone. Smiley

Ellen - AF9J
N1ESE
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2007, 01:27:50 PM »

Thanks for the welcomes everyone.

It looks like I am going with an NC-183.. I just made the commitment to buy W4WSZ's rig.  I think it will work for my needs, not the best but the price seems decent.

Now I need to go research some transmitters.

- JT
w5omr

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2007, 04:54:32 PM »

Now I need to go research some transmitters.

GO find a carcass of a transmitter with the caps and coil(s) in it, still...

put some of your own tubes in it.  The grid circuit you'll have to build will depend on what you put in the final.  Triodes are easier to tune.  A Pair of 811's would yield around 180w, if you don't push 'em hard.  Another pair in the modulator would be a great rig!

Modulators are -much- easier to build than finals.

N1ESE
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2007, 07:55:51 PM »

Or just give Bob more money and go first class!

Bob got enough of my money this week already, thanks.  Grin   I've never spent $3K on a car and I'll never spend $3K on a rig or "turn-key" system.  No way, but I will spend way more than that cumulatively on various stuff in the shack.   Grin

- JT
Blaine N1GTU
Administrator

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2007, 01:40:57 PM »

Welcome to AM.
Just because you are planning on running AM does not mean you have to use a receiver that was designed before Christ was born.
check out http://www.amqrp.org/kits/softrock40/version5.html for information about the softrock converters.
they are neat and $$cheap little SDR receivers.
if you have a decent computer you will be amazed at how nice they perform.
I have the Flex here and I don't think i could ever go back to a tube receiver or even a late model ricebox.
again, welcome to AM and hope to hear you on soon.

Blaine
N1GTU
N1ESE
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2007, 02:20:16 PM »

Just because you are planning on running AM does not mean you have to use a receiver that was designed before Christ was born. check out http://www.amqrp.org/kits/softrock40/version5.html for information about the softrock converters.
You won't meet a bigger computer geek than I, but I really like turning big knobs.  I wonder if that's why I always seem to date girls with big.. oh nevermind, I'll just get in trouble.   Grin

- JT

w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2007, 10:03:47 PM »

Welcome to AM.
Just because you are planning on running AM does not mean you have to use a receiver that was designed before Christ was born.

What's the fun in that  Huh Huh

David, K3TUE
Per-spiring AM'er
Contributing

« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2007, 10:44:20 PM »

I agree, I'm just not sure what to buy for a receiver.. even after reading Johnny's and Slab Bacon's guides.  Although, the NC-183 that W4WSZ is selling here might be a good choice.

Mind you, my opinions are based on the opinions of using other people's receivers.

I think if you can find one you can afford, you could not go wrong with a National NC-183D, though I believe an NC-183 is almost as good, especially if you like the light through the dials.  I almost got one.

But in the same price range it seems a Hammarlund HQ-129x/HQ-140/HQ-150/HQ-160 would server you well as well.

I'm looking for an early Hallicrafters SX-28, but I do not find them affordable.

I also believe, as well many seem to, that a Hammarlund SP-10/200/400 is a fabulous choice for an AM receiver.  While they are a little more expensive, they are actually an under appreciated value.

Welcome to AM.  I only recently have been able to get on the air after a lot of reading and questions myself.

David, K3TUE
KA1ZGC
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2007, 03:33:29 PM »

I think if you can find one you can afford, you could not go wrong with a National NC-183D, though I believe an NC-183 is almost as good, especially if you like the light through the dials.  I almost got one.

I've always been under the impression that the NC-183D is crap compared to the NC-183. I've got both a 183 and a 173, but I've honestly never fired either one up. I'm quite fond of my HQ-129X, but I would love to have an HQ-170A.

Don't automatically rule out a screen-modulated transmitter, either. With a small amount of tweaking, some of them can be made to sound pretty good. Nobody's going to shun you for running something other than high-level plate modulation. It's not that everything else sounds like unmitigated garbage, it's just that plate modulation is the most effective in terms of fidelity.

Along those lines, if you want to start small and simple, a Drake TR-4 is a good place to start. They're screen-modulated, and they don't need a whole lot of work to sound good on AM. Chris W2JBL uses a TR-3, IIRC, and sounds good on it. 3 6JB6s are probably good for 15-20W of AM comfortably.

Some things to consider, anyway. Welcome to AM!

--Thom
Killer Agony One Zipper Got Caught
N1ESE
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2007, 06:46:45 PM »

Thanks for the comments Thom.

I've purchased an NC-183 already for a RX, hopefully it will arrive here sometime late next week. 

- JT
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2007, 10:37:00 AM »

I prefer recievers with skirts!

Grin

Ya, that's the ticket! A dame with a sharp skirt!!

The older boxes are very nice things, but the selectivity is not what I prefer to listen to. My TS-440 with the +/-4.5kHz. Ceramic Filter mod runs rings around my R-388, unless the band is clean and clear... I can listen to the guys out west of here (8,9,0 land) on 3880 while there is a QSO on 3885 here in the NE! Can't do that with the R-388. I doubt that the older venerable receivers have better selectivity than the R-388, which has a Crystal filter, albiet not a good one...

Otoh, if you have a rig with a 455kHz. IF than you can "drop in" a Mechanical or Creamic (read: cheap but effective) filter as a mod. I would.  Grin

_-_-bear

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
N1ESE
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2007, 11:01:21 AM »

I'm now officially obsessed.  I'm driving down to Massachusetts tomorrow to pick up some gear.  I'll be coming back with the following:

• Heathkit KL-1 Chippewa with KS-1 HV supply
  • Some type of mod iron with a stripped Warrior chassis for building a modulator in
  • 6' Rack Cabinet that the Chippewa, KS-1, and Warrior is mounted in
  • Knight T-150
  • Knight T-60
  • Heathkit DX-60 with matching VFO

I'll have pictures tomorrow night.

- JT
Ed-VA3ES

« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2007, 01:51:26 PM »

Oooooohhh!  That Chippewa is a cool amp.  Runs a  pair of 4-400's, and is grid driven.    Sort of a poor-man's Desk Kilowatt. 

"There ain't a slaw-bukit inna worl, that kin jam me!!"
N1ESE
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2007, 02:01:14 PM »

Oooooohhh!  That Chippewa is a cool amp.  Runs a  pair of 4-400's, and is grid driven.    Sort of a poor-man's Desk Kilowatt. 
Now I need a matching Apache for it.  Send me one of yours.  Grin

- JT
Ed-VA3ES

« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2007, 10:51:31 PM »

Now I need a matching Apache for it.  Send me one of yours.  Grin - JT
An Apache would over drive it, even in the "tune" mode.   Besides, the frieght costs of shipping would exceed the value of the unit.  And, I'd insist on being paid in Canadian dollars,  not your  dollarettes!  Tongue Cheesy

"There ain't a slaw-bukit inna worl, that kin jam me!!"
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015