The AM Forum
May 17, 2024, 10:00:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ARRL AM Station  (Read 14336 times)
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2007, 11:42:35 AM »

you could pass a test on Ohms Law or reactive circuits all you wanted ang still not understand how to tune up a valiant.

But can you tuna fish!! Grin Grin

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2007, 12:10:27 PM »

Considering it's taught in high school, it could hardly be considered "high powered." But when you have no legtimate argument, you will resort to hyperbole.

"NOT "high
powered" calculus or super "hi tech" complex circuits."

Many hams that I know of are very familiar with the Calculus.... ..    klc

Bacon, WA3WDR

« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2007, 12:32:55 PM »

I'm glad that the ARRL has an AM station at all.

CW - it's a shame that it seems to have been such a barrier, because it is darn useful to be able to communicate in that mode.  A person could build a primitive emergency station out of junk lying around and send a distress call on CW.  I had to send CW with a toggle switch at one radio equipment site, and my boss was able to read it at the other end.  That saved one customer visit.  It could have saved lives.

But amateur radio is dying for all of the reasons we know - computers, satellite TV, cellphones, video games, etc, are more interesting to kids.  The population dumbed down, and the service followed.  Hopefully people like us can encourage hams new and old to keep learning.

When I am at an Amsat setup at the Smithsonian or the Udvar-Hazy center, I acknowledge that the little hand-held that I bring is very primitive compared to any cellphone.  But I then point out that when Katrina comes, the hand-held still works, while the cellphone is dead.  People hear this message.  And I go further to point out that radio hams are the first to get back in touch because they can throw a wire in a tree and get on the air, while the commercial guys wait for the rain to stop, etc.  And some satellite stuff has to wait for the rain to stop, too.

Let's not fight among ourselves, let's teach the curious about radio and electronics.

Truth can be stranger than fiction.  But fiction can be pretty strange, too!
K1MVP
« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2007, 01:40:33 PM »

you could pass a test on Ohms Law or reactive circuits all you wanted ang still not understand how to tune up a valiant.

But at least you would have "starting point" to be able to explain WHY one tunes a parallel tuned
circuit for a dip, and adjust the loading for "max" current, to say nothing of how the driver circuits work.
Try to explain it without a basic knowledge of reactive circuits.--Good luck.

w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2007, 01:51:23 PM »

Back in the 80s my employer used Collins KWM-2s to maintain an overseas HF E&E net.  The communicators were instructed on how to tune the thing up, and with few exceptions, did so successfully without having any knowledge of reactance or ohm's law.  Nor did they need to learn CW... if the mike broke they just drew another one from their spare stock.

But, as with ham radio, time marches on, and the KWM-2s were replaced with solid-state no-tune radios.  Grab the mike and talk.  Curiously, I don't see our old buzzard communicators looking down on their younger colleagues because they don't know how to tune a KWM-2 or punch tape on a Model 28 teletype  Wink

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2007, 02:10:36 PM »

Back in the 80s my employer used Collins KWM-2s to maintain an overseas HF E&E net.  The communicators were instructed on how to tune the thing up, and with few exceptions, did so successfully without having any knowledge of reactance or ohm's law.  Nor did they need to learn CW... if the mike broke they just drew another one from their spare stock.

Interestingly, any military manual I've read seems geared to the 'lowest common denominator' (average GI without technical training) for things like this, John. Outside of the actual techs responsible for maintaining the gear, the attitude seemed to be 'you need to know how to operate it, not how to design it or even how it works'. Basic troubleshooting tips include things like 'check to see if unit is plugged in', check fuse, etc. Nothing terribly in depth. The 'destruct' portion had more detailed information.

But amateur radio is dying for all of the reasons we know - computers, satellite TV, cellphones, video games, etc, are more interesting to kids.  The population dumbed down, and the service followed.  Hopefully people like us can encourage hams new and old to keep learning.

Some do, Bacon, but too many seem unwilling to either acknowledge new hams due to a 'lesser' testing standard or because they are too self-absorbed with their collecting, nets, contests, whatever. Collectively we hold the future to amateur radio, but many are either unable to comprehend this or unwilling to make the least little contribution if it doesn't immediately benefit them somehow. Never realizing that helping others now will benefit us all in the future.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2007, 06:25:09 PM »

Try to explain it without a basic knowledge of reactive circuits.--Good luck.

it will be a lot easier to each them not to blow the finals out of the rig without all that bullshit. That would only confuse them. FOR THE PURPOSES, the objective is NOT to give them a degree in electrical engineering,the objective is to teach them how to tune up a Valiant without making the 6146 plates white hot.

They will absorb the info in due time when they understand enough about what is is they just did that makes them know more than 99% of their friends, and damn proud of it. FROM THAT, you get a desire to learn whats behind the knobs.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015