The AM Forum
April 24, 2024, 07:12:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ARRL AM Station  (Read 14186 times)
W1QWT

« on: October 27, 2007, 07:25:18 PM »

Here is Bruce, K1CWS, operating the AM station at the ARRL on Friday October27.
He reports that Joe told him that he had to fix it after somebody mistuned it.
Seems to be working ok fine now and Bruce reported a QSO with Guy, FRM.

Regards
Q, W1QWT

Regards, Q, W1QWT
K1MVP
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2007, 08:34:30 PM »

Good deal,--Finally after being "offline" for over nine months, they got someone to fix the
"old Valiant".

They(ARRL) will now  probably want "proof" that a guy knows how to properly "dip and load"
before they will let another guy touch it again.

Of course,--they could offer classes to guys that have never used a tube rig, and then give
out a "certificate of achievement" as "proof" so that the rig does not get mistuned again.

73, K1MVP 
WA1GFZ

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2007, 09:14:13 PM »

I gave Cousin Joe a bit of crap a few months ago about the station being off the air. Some slop bucket moron rice box idiot must have tried to use it.
glad he fixed it
W1QWT

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2007, 09:57:03 PM »

MY friend, K1CWS, has been a ham since the 1950's and has built and operated
many a tube rigs. He said Joe interrogated him about the fine art of swinging the
monkey before he let him sit at the controls.
I guess he is making sure the driver knows how to shift gears with a clutch before he lets people  play so he doesn't have to keep fixing it.
Ain't no automatic (appliance) after all.
Regards
Q

Regards, Q, W1QWT
WA3VJB
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2007, 10:07:45 PM »

EXCEL-YEN-TAY

Was he on 40 meters or 75 ?

That place is only open during weekday business hours, too bad, because most of the action is weekends and at night.
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2007, 11:00:15 PM »

isnt it funny how knowing how to make the valiant munky swing and not blow up has nothing to do with morse code, but rather the knowledge of the operator of radio and tubes in specific? Guy could know 50wpm but it neither teaches him about radio or how to operate a transmitter.

K1MVP
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2007, 10:18:41 AM »

Knowing cw may not have anything to do with knowing how to tune a tube rig,--but I find it
interesting the ol Valiant got fixed by an "OT"(a visitor) who was licensed back in the 50`s and am sure
he knew BOTH cw and basic radio theory.

It took over nine months, and a "visitor" finally fixed it,--am sure when Doug Demaw, and
Lew McCoy were there it would not have taken that long to fix it.
Makes one wonder how many "newbies" at the League know anything other than "riceboxes".

73, K1MVP

The Slab Bacon

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2007, 10:56:56 AM »

Hmm......... dip the grid and peak the plate, watch your finals disssssapate.................. Wink

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2007, 11:57:13 AM »

I've heard the Valiant can only be tuned properly using a J-38 and an operator licensed in the 50's. All other need not apply.
K1MVP
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2007, 12:26:10 PM »

I've heard the Valiant can only be tuned properly using a J-38 and an operator licensed in the 50's. All other need not apply.

You "got it",--at least  NOVICE`s back then knew how to "dip and load" a cw rig, so an AM rig
was a "cinch" once they got their General.
                                                      73, K1MVP

KB1OKL
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2007, 12:28:19 PM »

I gave Cousin Joe a bit of crap a few months ago about the station being off the air. Some slop bucket moron rice box idiot must have tried to use it.
glad he fixed it

Don't hold back now. I like that, would be a good bumper sticker. Don't be a slop bucket moron rice box idiot.  Grin
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2007, 01:00:05 PM »

Yes, but the Novice license was a dumbed down offering that wasn't available previously. Those who held it were undeserving and to be looked down on, to use your logic. 

You "got it",--at least  NOVICE`s back then knew how to "dip and load" a cw rig, so an AM rig
                                                      73, K1MVP

AF9J
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2007, 01:55:13 PM »

People be cool.  Rememeber, not everybody likes the same things. It would be boring if we all only did one thing.  For instance, some up us find doing AM on 15 & above a blast (I had fun doing 10 & 6m AM this last E-skip season).  Others prefer to go no higher than 7290, even at the peak of the solar cycle - more power to them.  By the same token, some of us also dig CW (there are times where 100W of CW will get through better than 375W of carrier, AM), and some of us exclusively do nothing but AM (since it allows a more natural & better flow of conversation than CW).  Both are cool.  Me - I'm not a purist by a long shot.  For instance, I love QRP, but I realize there are times where it just doesn't cut it.  So, as long as I cause no RFI to my neighbors, I'm not averse to turning up the wick, if conditions warrant it.  Being a purist, who disses everybody elses thing is a pain.

Ellen - AF9J
K1MVP
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2007, 02:21:17 PM »

Yes, but the Novice license was a dumbed down offering that wasn't available previously. Those who held it were undeserving and to be looked down on, to use your logic. 

73, K1MVP

"dumbed down offering"-- really??-- most of us who started with the novice back then did not feel that
way as I recall,--we were just beginners and felt fortunate to get a novice ticket as I recall.

Dont know where you get your "info",--from old issues of QST??

73, MVP

P.S,--ask our mutual friend W3SCC and see what he says about the "old" novice ticket, maybe he can
"clarify" my logic for you.

Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2007, 02:52:51 PM »

Well, of course you wouldn't think it was dumbed down. That's my point. Everything that came after that apparently was, according to you. But history didn't start when you got your ticket. There was no Novice ticket prior to 1951. It was harder to get into Amateur radio before 1951, so using your logic, the Novice ticket was a dumbing down of Amateur Radio.
W1QWT

« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2007, 03:14:02 PM »

ol Valiant got fixed by an "OT"(a visitor)
The W1AW station manager, Joe Carcia, NJ1Q, fixed it. K1CWS (the visitor) just used it.
I was there the day it was installed and I am just glad to see
it still available for use.

Regards
Q, W1QWT

Regards, Q, W1QWT
Rick K5IAR
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2007, 03:33:05 PM »

I don't know about "dumbed down", but I do know the Novice test in 1962 was almost equivalent to the General exam of today with exception of the frequency allocations.  Of course, we had to know more about the technical aspects of our equipment in those days since there was more to operating than just attaching an antenna, a microphone and pressing the "on/off" button.  I suppose everything is relative to the era in which we live or were licensed.  Being an old coot, I love the old stuff from the old days, but I can see how someone would also like the new stuff if they had no interest in the technical side of Amateur Radio.

Rick/K5IAR
K1MVP
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2007, 05:35:49 PM »

Well, of course you wouldn't think it was dumbed down. That's my point. Everything that came after that apparently was, according to you. But history didn't start when you got your ticket. There was no Novice ticket prior to 1951. It was harder to get into Amateur radio before 1951, so using your logic, the Novice ticket was a dumbing down of Amateur Radio.

Why is it so "difficult to grasp"?--The novice ticket WAS a BEGINNERS way to get into ham radio,
as a "step" get a "taste" of HF(it was non-renewable) so one had to either upgrade or get off the air,
AND one had severe restrictions,(xtal control, 75 watts max input and cw only on HF)
It was meant as a "learner`s permit", as far as getting on the air experience, but one did have to
pass a "basic written" test where one at least knew ohms law.

Thing is nowadays,--with the exam system what it is,--not only is cw not required(even 5wpm)
one can become an "instant extra" with the answer recognition system and not even "have a clue"
as to what ohms law is(to say nothing of reactive circuits).--Now THAT IS ""dumbing down",IMO
and after one passes this "exam",--one has ALL amateur privileges.--where is the logic in that?
                                                   73, MVP

P.S., You STILL have not responded to my querrie about asking W3SCC his opinion as to how things
       were back in the 50`s,--must be the second or third time I have asked.   
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2007, 06:36:56 PM »

Yes, it was a dumbed down way if getting into amateur radio.

Tests today require knowledge of Ohms law, reactive circuits and more. Your claim that they don't is incorrect.

I've talked to many who were around back in the 60's. Opinions and memories vary. But none of them claim it was all wine and roses and that everything was perfect. Most have moved on.
K1MVP
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2007, 07:24:11 PM »

Yes, it was a dumbed down way if getting into amateur radio.

Tests today require knowledge of Ohms law, reactive circuits and more. Your claim that they don't is incorrect.

I've talked to many who were around back in the 60's. Opinions and memories vary. But none of them claim it was all wine and roses and that everything was perfect. Most have moved on.

Yes Steve, YOU are right, AMEN

The "Dick Bash" exam system is FAR superior to the days when only sample questions were in the
license manuals for both amateur and commercial exams.
Lets "move on" to the "better future" for HR,--lets do away with the written altogether.--Sure.
                                                73, MVP

P.S.,Thats why when I mention "reactance" to many new hams nowadays,-- I get a "blank stare".

Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2007, 07:46:44 PM »

When did I say the Bash method was better? I said Ohms law and reactance is currently on the test.

I get blank stares on a lot of technical topics, from both old and new hams. So what? You miniscule sampling and anecdotal evidence proves nothing.

K1MVP
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2007, 09:30:19 PM »

When did I say the Bash method was better? I said Ohms law and reactance is currently on the test.

I get blank stares on a lot of technical topics, from both old and new hams. So what? You miniscule sampling and anecdotal evidence proves nothing.

We are talking about something "real basic"--ohms law, and basic reactive circuits,--NOT "high
powered" calculus or super "hi tech" complex circuits.
I could say more,--but I will let you have the "last word" since that is what you must have.
                                          73, MVP

Still cannot understand why you won`t ask W3SCC for his opinion.(but then maybe I do)

KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2007, 10:42:41 PM »

"NOT "high
powered" calculus or super "hi tech" complex circuits."

Many hams that I know of are very familiar with the Calculus.... ..    klc

* rCalculus.jpg (15.7 KB, 350x174 - viewed 394 times.)

What? Me worry?
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2007, 01:44:42 AM »

Thing is nowadays,--with the exam system what it is,--not only is cw not required(even 5wpm)
one can become an "instant extra" with the answer recognition system and not even "have a clue" as to what ohms law is(to say nothing of reactive circuits).--Now THAT IS ""dumbing down",IMO and after one passes this "exam",--one has ALL amateur privileges.--where is the logic in that? 

Here's documented proof: http://www.qrz.com/detail/W8NB

Callsign   W8NB   Class: Extra   Codes:  HVIE   USA
Name   KENNETH E KEIFER
Addr1   133 N SECOND AVE
Addr2   PADEN CITY, WV 26159
Country   USA
Effective   12 Jun 2007   Expires: 12 Jun 2017
FRN   0013793799  What's this?
FCC   ULS Listing
Lookups   465

Previously   K8RXW

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2007, 11:38:35 AM »

you could pass a test on Ohms Law or reactive circuits all you wanted ang still not understand how to tune up a valiant.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015