The AM Forum
April 29, 2024, 11:59:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PTT on Heath Apache  (Read 3122 times)
WA2ONK
Contributing

« on: October 20, 2007, 11:01:02 AM »

I'm adding ptt to my Apache. I would to keep the front panel un-molested, here's the problem. I want to replace the original mic connector with 1/4" phone jack. The hole for the jack is 5/16" deep (chassis, front panel and accent panel), all the jacks I have are only good to mount on 1/8" panels, the threads are 1/4" in length.

Are there any tip, ring and sleeve 1/4" jacks that have at least 1/2" of threads?? Or do I have to use one of the more newer type of mic connector? Thanks.

Chuck.....wa2onk
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2007, 12:51:16 PM »

There are long phone jacks, including ones that are almost all threaded collar... they're about an inch long.

BUT, the front green panel on the TX-1 comes off! You can just mount the jack to the real panel and place the green panel back on in front, the nut should fit underneath and the front edge of the jack will just stick out the original hole.

_-_-bear

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2007, 01:02:38 PM »

You need one just like the key jack on the right side of the rig. Seems to me I remember RS had them, and if you're heading to the Sellersville, PA hamfest this Sunday, there should be at least two vendors there that carry them as new stock.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
WA2ONK
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2007, 12:59:31 PM »

Well I guess I cheated a bit. I ended up enlarging the mounting hole in the chassis and in the main panel. Left the "accent" panel as is and mounted standard 1/4" jack on it.

Audio mods done, solid stated the HV supply and the ptt is complete. Now I guess I'll have to use it!

Chuck...
WU2D
Contributing

CW is just a narrower version of AM

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2007, 03:25:35 PM »

It is just about time for me to get back on my Apache project too and I am right where you are - thinking about the PTT!
I am going to use the buzzardly and smaller PL-68 jack like the old military rigs use cause it fits in the existing hole with no mods. 

Mike WU2D

* PL-68.jpg (149.48 KB, 640x411 - viewed 362 times.)

These are the good old days of AM
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015