The AM Forum
April 28, 2024, 04:40:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need A Little Help  (Read 2827 times)
Mac
« on: October 14, 2007, 04:04:59 PM »

Hello all,,

I "think" I rescued this McMartin ba-1k. LOL. It looks to be in good shape on the inside. The outside,,, er,,, well,,, the outside dosent make it work right ? Well one problem I have to start with is the tubes are 4-500a's. I was wondering if I can interchange them with 4-400a's without problems??  Second of many I fear,,, the pictures I saw didnt have the "extra" transformer just sitting on top of another one. Picture 2 on the left side. This thing was a little heavy ha ha ha,, about 1000lbs but we got it moved.

Any help and starting directions on this one?  ALL help is appreciated.....

Thanks Mac  Huh

* receiver 001.jpg (54.8 KB, 640x480 - viewed 350 times.)

* receiver 002.jpg (69.16 KB, 640x480 - viewed 393 times.)

* receiver 004.jpg (49.79 KB, 640x480 - viewed 392 times.)
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2007, 09:28:14 PM »

that left hand bluish looking wire coming off it goes up to the unit in the first picture sitting on that shelf near the tank coil. still dont know what it does. Thats heavy guage wire though. looks like something related to the filaments to me. Knowing the JS'ing that goes on in BCL stations it could be anything weird just to have gotten the rig back on air in a hurry. Does that tx have tube rectumfiers or were they at hollow state by then?

Mac
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2007, 10:21:08 PM »

Well I tell ya,,,,

I have downloaded the book for this tx. And trying to follow the schematic,, I sure cant tell what that "extra" transformer is for. I do have all 4 of the 500a's. True about the voltage filaments,, but I  think that that can be change without to much problems. if need be  Lips sealed  What you see in the pic's is what I got. I think that I will have to print the matics out and go out and try and follow the thing. Its that extra trans that has me going. LOL  It's a stancor,,P-5002,,, and on that wire, it's locked into the chassis. Yea, there are 2 org and 1 org/wht, going up to what looks like might be to the tubes and one I think going to another transformer. Hell this thing has more trans than carters got pills. Whew!!!!!!

Thanks Mac
Mac
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2007, 12:07:00 AM »

Thanks Mack,,,

I guess I'm gonna have to try and call the engineer and see if he remembers what the heck the thing is for. I noticed that one of the orange wires was going to another trans mounted up under the ledge of the top board. So as you pointed out,, going to just one glass dosent make to much sense then. Hope he remembers what he did.... Im not about to just plug it up to see it work,,,,
Thanks,,,

Mac
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015