The AM Forum
May 05, 2024, 03:54:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 3855 AM QSO - Sat Morning  (Read 20708 times)
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« on: October 06, 2007, 11:08:25 AM »

Just to test that it could be done.

I called CQ on 3855, which was open and clear at the time - around 10 AM Sat morning - for about 30 seconds. Went to make some oatmeal and tea. Got a call about 15 secs later by KN2DZY followed by W2DGB who came in as I was doing the tea!   Grin Grin Grin Grin

While I was somewhat surprised to get a response, I think it shows that sticking to the 3885 frequency is not necessary at all!

So, youze guyz can look for me to be calling CQ down the band more frequently.

Fwiw, I didn't even have to redip the finals... your rig may be higher Q, or not.

Hope if you are reading this, it will inspire you to VENTURE FORTH!!

_-_-bear

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2007, 11:41:16 AM »

I have been making a point of calling CQ on about 3705 in the evening, but apparently most AM'ers have already gone to bed when I make the calls.  I get responses maybe 40% of the time. And it is not that late when I usually call, right after I finish the evening meal - just an hour or so after dusk.  But I suppose Daylight Shifting Time has people going to bed about the same time the chickens go to roost.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
WBear2GCR

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2007, 12:23:06 PM »

I'll listen down there Don!

Of course only Advanced and Extras can go there...

_-_-bear

Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2007, 12:30:16 PM »

You would have received more calls if you were making oatmeal.

It's good to spread out. Gotta spin that receiver knob once in a while.\

Just to test that it could be done.

I called CQ on 3855, which was open and clear at the time - around 10 AM Sat morning - for about 30 seconds. Went to make some oatmeal and tea. Got a call about 15 secs later by KN2DZY followed by W2DGB who came in as I was doing the tea!   Grin Grin Grin Grin

While I was somewhat surprised to get a response, I think it shows that sticking to the 3885 frequency is not necessary at all!

So, youze guyz can look for me to be calling CQ down the band more frequently.

Fwiw, I didn't even have to redip the finals... your rig may be higher Q, or not.

Hope if you are reading this, it will inspire you to VENTURE FORTH!!

_-_-bear

KF1Z

Are FETs supposed to glow like that?

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2007, 12:35:33 PM »

well sure.....

plus there's the "am carrier net" on 3835 (or 3853) on sunday mornings at 830a.

Most nights there's activity on 3705, 3725, 3733(what's for dinner 'net', at 5p)

There are am stations on in other places than 3885.....
But I assume that most folks don't want to waste any precious radio time, rutuning, calling cq in different areas of the band, when they can *usually* call cq one time or two on 3885, and get an answer........

Don, over last week, I tried calling you on 3705, must have been the wrong time 'o day....\

I'll try again sometime.....

Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2007, 12:43:59 PM »

All the cool guys hang on 3733.
WBear2GCR

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2007, 12:59:15 PM »

well sure.....

Most nights there's activity on 3705, 3725, 3733(what's for dinner 'net', at 5p)

But I assume that most folks don't want to waste any precious radio time, rutuning, calling cq in different areas of the band, when they can *usually* call cq one time or two on 3885, and get an answer........

Waste of time to call CQ??

Say what?

It is never a waste of time to call CQ.
Hope you were kidding?   Shocked Roll Eyes

Anyhow, I'd never have met and talked to those two FB OMs, if I hadn't called CQ.

So VENTURE FORTH!!

I'll be calling CQ down the band, look for me, I'll look for you!!  Grin Cheesy Grin Cheesy

_-_-bear

KF1Z

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2007, 01:22:00 PM »

well sure.....

Waste of time to call CQ??

Say what?

It is never a waste of time to call CQ.
Hope you were kidding?   Shocked Roll Eyes

Anyhow, I'd never have met and talked to those two FB OMs, if I hadn't called CQ.

So VENTURE FORTH!!

I'll be calling CQ down the band, look for me, I'll look for you!!  Grin Cheesy Grin Cheesy

_-_-bear

No, I wasn't kidding......not at all!

There's a lot of people who just don't have much time at all to play radio......
Let's say, between jobs, kids, wife....whatever... you have one hour every other day or so  to get on the radio.....

Are you going to use up all that time, or even 1/4 to 1/2 of it searching for a clear spot, tuning, calling CQ in a part of a band that finding another station is questionable...??

I'm not....

If I have a lot of time to play, or the "usual" frequencies are busy with sideband, or a qso I'm not interested in.....sure.... then I'd go somewhere else.....

I am a great supporter of calling CQ to find a contact....Even though I was told several times, in no uncertain terms that "calling CQ on 75 meters is frowned upon..."
Of course, even then, I knew that was BS....

Anyhow, I am not in any way discouraging people from doing just that....yes, spread out... by all means.....
My comment was just a note of possibility as to WHY more folks aren't somewhere other than the ghetto....

That is all....

AF9J
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2007, 02:37:40 PM »

Don,

I've heard you a number of times down around 3705 & 3710.  One night you were having a good QSO with Jack, K9ACT. I tired calling you, and breaking into your QSO with Jack, with no luck.  It's the PW thing (of course like all Murphy's Law things, after I end my transmitter search, Skip, K7YOO lists a Viking 1 with the audio mods for sale, on the Midwest Classic Net at a great price this morning <sigh!>), and antenna issues I seem to be having lately on 75m.  It looks like my VF-1, VFO has been modded, and I'll have to undo the mods (the keying line seems to be disabled, and for some reason the guy who owned it before me, wired the Standby switch position to ON - dumb!), just to mute the VFO during receive.  I'm not looking forward to it, since the tuning dial it a major pain, to get engaged properly with the tuning knob.  Oh well, it has to be done. Besides, I have a big noise source in the vicinity of 3885, that's driving me nuts.  Below 3730, things are a bit quieter for me.

Ellen - AF9J
WBear2GCR

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2007, 04:25:46 PM »

Bruce,

I understand the issues your mentioned.
But I still disagree with your approach and perspective.

If you want to just stay on 3885, then by all means do so.
The point of my post was to encourage, not discourage nor to come up with reasons to stay parked in a narrow set of frequencies.

If you read Don's post about the IARU "bandplan" it would become all the more evident why it is a very very good idea to spread out, as soon as possible.

But in general, I still disagree with your perspective on it, beyond these points.

As a novice, dunno about you, I was rock bound and called CQ in CW, and scanned the band for a response. IF you never move your reciever, you never hear the rest of the band!! How long does it take to scan 100khz.?? Seconds. If everyone was scanning, the amount of time it takes to make a contact would be about the same.

So I disagree, and believe that making excuses or rationalizing why we as a group of operators should not or might not or are not willing to change or improve operating habits or use other frequencies is bad for AM, and short sighted.

My 2 cents worth. (hey where did the "cents" key go!!)  Wink

_-_-WBear2GCR

WA3VJB
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2007, 04:33:51 PM »

You got no cents ?

Here I will toss you a few.

(save them for a rainy day)
¢¢¢¢¢
¢¢¢¢¢
¢¢¢¢¢
¢¢¢¢¢
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2007, 05:18:23 PM »

And there's always the option of calling CQ on 3885 making contact and then moving off to a different frequency. That way, you get the best of both worlds - less waiting for a reply and you get to "move on up" out of the ghetto.
AF9J
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2007, 06:08:28 PM »

You know Steve,  that's a good idea.  In VHF/UHF weak signal, QRP, etc. freqs. like 3885 are used as calling freqs.  In other words, make the contact, and then QSY.  It's done all of the time on 144.2 MHz, for weak signal ragchews. 

Ellen - AF9J
KF1Z

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2007, 10:04:17 PM »

Bruce,

I understand the issues your mentioned.
But I still disagree with your approach and perspective.

If you want to just stay on 3885, then by all means do so.
The point of my post was to encourage, not discourage nor to come up with reasons to stay parked in a narrow set of frequencies.

Well, I guess re-reading my posts, I can see where you got the idea that I was trying to " come up with reasons to stay parked in a narrow set of frequencies."

Not the case.........

The comments I made were just one possible reason that a lot of  people are still clinging close to 3.885 .....

Wasn't trying to say that it was good practice, or otherwise......

Oh well, it wouldn't be the first time I've been misunderstood...  :-)

(And, wouldn't be the first time I wasn't misunderstood, and just plain wrong!)

And Steve,

>"...And there's always the option of calling CQ on 3885 making contact and then moving off to a different frequency..."<

You know, I'm actually suprised that there isn't a "calling frequency cop" out there to make sure that happens......

If you try to hold a conversation on say 146.520, there's  people just WAITING to tell you how wrong you are...

Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2007, 10:25:18 PM »

If you try to hold a conversation on say 146.520, there's  people just WAITING to tell you how wrong you are...

Just another way HF and VHF are different.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2007, 11:00:44 PM »

You know Steve,  that's a good idea.  In VHF/UHF weak signal, QRP, etc. freqs. like 3885 are used as calling freqs.  In other words, make the contact, and then QSY.  It's done all of the time on 144.2 MHz, for weak signal ragchews. 

Ellen - AF9J

Nothing new. There's been published AM Calling Frequencies listed for years on a number of band plans.
Here's one: http://www.arrl.org/FandES/field/regulations/bandplan.html

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
pe1mph

pe1mph AM from Holland

« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2007, 01:23:29 PM »

I have been making a point of calling CQ on about 3705 in the evening

Are you 'often' calling CQ on 3705?Huh
Last weeks totaly nothing from USA on 3705.....
Sometimes I receive AM on 3885, but very, very weak!!!!

During the weekend we (pe1mph and others) are talking with
Fortunato 9H1ES (Island Malta) on 3705.
But conditions are poor.... we can qso-ing, but is goes with up & downs!

Greetings and hope full I receive next AM from USA on 3705,

Henk, pe1mph Wink
Jim KF2SY

« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2007, 04:16:47 PM »

Bear,
You also might try next time, to turn your mic gain waaay up,
Eat the oatmeal so we can hear the spoon scrape the cereal bowl,
Call "CQ America listening for that little voice in the wilderness"
and please don't forget the chimes....

k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2007, 11:03:32 AM »

Didn't hear any activity down below last night (Thursday), so took a listen up in the Ghetto, and heard a rather large group in QSO on 3885 discussing link-coupled antenna tuners.  At first I answered KA5RHK on 3880 and we talked one-on-one for a while. The antenna tuner topic had perked up my interest so I QSY'ed up 5 and joined in, and the QSO lasted from before 0200 GMT until past 0500.  No long-winded old buzzard transmissions, and the antenna tuner topic dominated the conversation for the whole evening. 

Sometime about 0330 GMT some slopbuckets evidently wanted the frequency and began dropping short bursts of noise on the frequency.  They didn't disrupt anything, and everyone in the QSO kept their cool by ignoring them and not acknowledging their existence.

WA1HLR abruptly signed out when Marcy came in and let him know she had a different agenda for the rest of the evening.  That started the ball rolling and most of the others on the east coast signed out, leaving Jack K9ACT and myself, so the conversation topic turned to Jack's homebrew 8000 project.

When we were signing out, a new station called in (I forget his call) with a good signal. He said he had been monitoring all evening and noticed the slopbucket attempts at jamming, so he decided to "hold" the frequency a little longer for AM. Dean, WA1KNX in Tucson called in, and we continued the three-way for a while longer.

I hadn't noticed anything except carriers tuning up on top of us (the same thing had happened earlier during my QSO on 3880 with Ken), and the bursts of noise on 3885, but just as I was signing out, and while Dean was transmitting, some slopbucket zero'ed on the frequency and made a remark, something about "letting my amplifier cool down".  I happened to understand it because Dean's carrier demodulated the SSB well enough.

Apparently some slopbuckets wanted the frequency real bad, but I didn't hear any activity after we had all signed out.

Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
W1UJR
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2007, 11:08:17 AM »

Bear,

Gee, I miss that.
Ah, the good ole days...

Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2007, 01:07:10 PM »

And while you're at it be sure to insult someone by denigrating their parents, slander Jews, relish the death of 3000 people killed by terrorists, and read from racist rags whilst "casting abroad."

This will make it much more authentic.

Bear,

Gee, I miss that.
Ah, the good ole days...

k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2007, 01:12:38 PM »

And while you're at it be sure to insult someone by denigrating their parents, slander Jews, relish the death of 3000 people killed by terrorists, and read from racist rags whilst "casting abroad."

This will make it much more authentic.

You don't need the radio for that.  Just visit the "Ragchew" forum at QRZ.com.

- - -
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2007, 01:41:33 PM »

Didn't hear any activity down below last night (Thursday)

Joe WA2PJP, Dave K2DK, and myself were on 3710 sometime after 22:30 until around midnight, Don. You must've already moved up to the ghetto by then? We had a great chat with the occasional static crash and minor fades being the only issues.

Apparently some slopbuckets wanted the frequency real bad, but I didn't hear any activity after we had all signed out.

Same thing happened to me last evening down below 3800. If you don't get a frequency occupied by a group with some scrote, they'll just come in, zero-beat your carrier, and start talking. Happened to me with some VE3s last night on 3710 around 18:30, then 3715 and 25 when I called CQ there. Dead air or otherwise, if there's no one to talk to, the frequency becomes theirs.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2007, 02:21:37 PM »

Same thing happened to me last evening down below 3800. If you don't get a frequency occupied by a group with some scrote, they'll just come in, zero-beat your carrier, and start talking. Happened to me with some VE3s last night on 3710 around 18:30, then 3715 and 25 when I called CQ there. Dead air or otherwise, if there's no one to talk to, the frequency becomes theirs.

If you have a QSO going and at least one of the stations has some scrote, when that happens, it's time for the old Timtron "exit stage left" tactic.

- - -
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2007, 02:27:02 PM »

I must have just missed you guys Todd. I called CQ on 3725 at around 2130 ET. Got a call from KB4CWR running AM on his TS-850 for the first time. We had a nice QSO for about a half hour with no interference or jamming.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015