The AM Forum
April 28, 2024, 10:41:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: am radio hookup  (Read 9791 times)
libertyrules
« on: September 24, 2007, 07:47:32 PM »

Hello.  This is my first time to post - a question - so here goes.  I live in the SE corner of Colorado, and am reception is extremely limited.  I also live in a trailer.  I'm trying to build an am system that will pull in am stations as far away as Dallas tx (about 530 mi).  I read somewhere that a car radio, with its built-in shielding would be better for a trailer.  I bought a car radio, but it is the pull-out type, with no wires showing in back.  I may have to buy a regular car radio (the kind that doesn't pull-out) - I've seen them on Ebay, and they have the wires sticking out in back.  Anyway, I also bought a Tripplite PR-3 (3amp) 12V power supply.  I can rig an antenna, but what I'm sure about is how to hook up the car radio & speakers to the power supply.

Can anybody help me?
KF1Z

Are FETs supposed to glow like that?

« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2007, 08:00:11 PM »

Your best bet is to let us know what the model number of the radio is....

Is there a bundle of colored wires hanging out the back of the radio?

Never heard of the car radio being better because of sheilding, but that's beside the point right now.....

I will say, that if all you're interested in is the AM broadcast band.... you're all set....

But, for very little $$ you could get ahold of a portable shortwave reciever, and have a whole BUNCH of AM, SSB and FM broadcast, and Amateur stations as well to listen to....

That would be MY suggetion anyway....

But, if you're bound to the car radio....

Tell me the model number, and I'll look up the wiring diagram for it......

Bruce

libertyrules
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2007, 09:31:16 PM »

The radio came out of a honda civic , radio manuf. by Mitsushita 39100-S01-A110.  Nope, there are no wires sticking out.

I think that will be a problem, so maybe I'll scrap it and look at your suggestion:

But, for very little $$ you could get ahold of a portable shortwave reciever, and have a whole BUNCH of AM, SSB and FM broadcast, and Amateur stations as well to listen to....

I don't own a TV, so I like to listen to all kinds of talks shows, & stuff.  I wouldn't mind being able to listen to a Yankee game, either Smiley.
Can you point me in the right direction to p/u a port. sw receiver?  Would the 12V PS that I just got from Ebay provide enough power?  Or is that a stupid question?

I'm all ears.

* IMG_0001.JPG (26.81 KB, 460x219 - viewed 463 times.)
KF1Z

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2007, 10:39:03 PM »

Well, not having wires hanging out of it, is only a small PITA...

But, I think you'd be much happier with MANY times more things to listen to....

As for exact brand, I don't know which is best bang for the buck....

A few brands to search for:

Grundig (Yacht boy rings a bell)
Sony
Panasonic

I don't know what your budget is, but if you look at ebay... see what's there in your price range...

The key features you want to look for are:
An External antenna connection, (absolute must in a trailer!)
Modes: AM, SSB, FM
Digital tuning (display)

That's about it to start with....

Maybe some others here will chime in with any particular models they are familiar with.

libertyrules
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2007, 07:44:10 PM »

Thanks, KF1Z -

I've been lost in Ebay for the last two days, trying to find the right sw radio - so many to choose from!

I appreciate your help.

-lr
KF1Z

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2007, 07:52:31 PM »

No problem.....

Don't loose too much sleep over it!

Any one of those models on ebay, that at LEAST have an external antenna jack...
Will give you MUCH more enjoyment than a plain old AM/FM car radio!

Pick out a cheap one to start with.....

Then, if you get into it.... look into something with a few more bells, and maybe a whistle.

Above all,
Have Fun!

Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2007, 08:31:30 PM »

Thanks, KF1Z -

I've been lost in Ebay for the last two days, trying to find the right sw radio - so many to choose from!

I appreciate your help.

-lr

I have had this model for 2 years and for the money is great. Outperformed my Sony 7600G
http://cgi.ebay.com/Kaito-KA1103-SSB-Super-Shortwave-Radio-Silver-1103_W0QQitemZ300153960491QQihZ020QQ

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
Ed-VA3ES

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2007, 10:09:43 PM »

I have had this model for 2 years and for the money is great. Outperformed my Sony 7600G
http://cgi.ebay.com/Kaito-KA1103-SSB-Super-Shortwave-Radio-Silver-1103_W0QQitemZ300153960491QQihZ020QQ   

I couldn't agree more I have one also, and it is  superb!   It's HOT, has an external antenna jack, and covers DC to Daylight   (100 Khz to 30 Mhz continuous).  Digital tuning in 1 Khz increments,  the FM has stereo output (to headphone jack), and has every bell and whistle you'll ever need.

Now, alternatively,  you can also try and find a GE Super Radio, on eBay or else where. It has an AM antenna connection and is also a hot radio with excellent sensitivity.

"There ain't a slaw-bukit inna worl, that kin jam me!!"
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2007, 10:38:52 PM »

Regardless of the radio you get, they're all relatively deaf without a good antenna.

You'll also hear different stuff depending on the antenna you put up.

So, you'll want to read a bit about antennas, especially basic "tuned" antennas like dipoles and things like "long wires" and "Beveridge" antennas...

Almost any general coverage tube radio will be a heck of a lot more fun than the typical solid state modern unit, but otoh the new solid state one will work for sure out of the box.

The connections on the back of the car radio require a special "car plug" (best to get out of the car that the radio came from, or a junk yard car) so that you can solder/splice up the power in, speakers out and the front panel light connections. One can just solder to the pins.

You'd have to also get a car type antenna plug... although you can just shove a singe banana plug into the center and use the chassis as ground.

Some car radios are quite good, others not so good, fwiw.

Shortwave listening is still good and fun... as is listening to Ham radio...

_-_-bear

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
libertyrules
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2007, 12:33:31 PM »

Thanks to all for the valuable info!  The only objection I can see to the Ka1103 is the "dumb charger", which apparently doesn't work so well, according to reviews I've seen.  Will it work with reg alkaline batteries?   

Also, I've been looking at the Ka2100, but can't find a review by knowledgeable user.  Anybody know why the Ka2100 would not be a better choice than the 1103?
W2JBL

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2007, 01:04:29 AM »

the old AM car radio idea still works very well, and on the cheap. go to your local junkyard and get a REAL car radio. any GM, Ford or Mopar radio that still has analog tuning (slide rule dial) will do. avoid the new age digital tuned stuff. best are from the mid 60's to early 80's. stop by the auto parts store on your way back and get a genuine car radio antenna. DO NOT ALTER THE CABLE. it's a special high Z cable made to match the radio. mount the antenna on the roof of the trailer and make sure it's got a good metal to metal ground at it's mounting point. if you must extend the cable use an extension cable designed for car radio service (like RG-62/u 92 ohm), not typical ham radio coax, and keep it as short as possible. most importantly do no mount it on the side of the trailer- it has to be in the clear. after that when you power it up look for a small hole in the case of the radio marked "antenna trim". using a 1/8" blade screwdriver and the radio tuned to a weak station near the top of the dial at 1500-1600 tune for the strongest signal.

after screwing around for a few years at my (rather remote) camp in New York's Adirondack Mountains with among other things a GE Super Radio this spring i installed the radio out of my first 1968 Ford with a similar antenna on the edge of the cabin roof. WSM 650 now is audible from sundown to sunup and it's a long way to Nashville from there. you purists and new age types can make fun of me if you like but the procedure i just outlined to Mr. Liberty is the way to do what he heard about, and it still works great. best of all as i fall asleep to the tunes the blue/green dial lamp of the Fairlane radio reminds me of all those good times i had in the back seat of the Ford with my "dates" and the WMCA Good Guys pumping out the tunes as the party went on...
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2007, 07:25:28 AM »

Chris has the right idea. I've been using an OLD Tenna AM/FM 8 track in the garage shop for years. A simple car antenna on an aluminum plate in the garage rafters and I listen to WJR Detroit (from Cleveland,OH) 24/7. When I want music in the evening it's everything from Pittsburg to Nashville.

W2JBL

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2007, 12:20:50 AM »

Bud- you are one up on me with that 8 track. when condx on AM are bad you can still shove that old George Jones/Tammy Wynette tape from the church rummage sale in there and dig that big Nashville sound... and if one is observant he will still see AM/FM car radio antennas perched precariously on trailer roofs all over rural America.
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2007, 07:27:16 AM »

Yup Chris - it still playing The Statlers, Alabama, Kingston Trio, Merle and the "Ol' Kentucky Plowboy" Eddie Arnold !!
'Course eveyonce in a while I gotto toss the 4 Tops in there too.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015