The AM Forum
May 06, 2024, 04:29:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: capacitor terms and specs confusion  (Read 2907 times)
David, K3TUE
Per-spiring AM'er
Contributing

« on: September 11, 2007, 06:46:58 PM »

I have been looking at cap's and have seen what looks like a voltage potential followed by WV.  Can anyone shed any light on what/why this is?

David, K3TUE
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2007, 06:56:42 PM »

WV ="working voltage". This is the maximum voltage at which the capacitor operates without leaking excessively or arcing through. This working voltage is expressed in terms of DC but the AC equivalent is about only one half of that DC rating. As the AC frequency increases the working voltage rating decreases further still.

http://www.electronics-tutorials.com/basics/working-voltage-capacitance.htm

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
Rick K5IAR
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2007, 08:55:44 PM »

Capacitors will generally take considerably more voltage for an instant than they will for extended periods of time.  So, the WV or working voltage should not be exceeded or even reached as far as I'm concerned, during normal operation.  However, you may get a surge voltage for an instant that surpasses this WV voltage that will not damage the capacitor.

Rick/K5IAR
Tom WA3KLR
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2007, 03:36:29 PM »

Aluminum electrolytics are very good at handling voltage surges over the working voltage rating.

Tantalum electrolytics are very poor at handling transients above the working voltage.  You should not put tantalum capacitors in the rectifier filters of a.c. line-powered transformer power supplies.  They are o.k. to use AFTER the voltage regulator i.c.s.

73 de Tom WA3KLR  AMI # 77   Amplitude Modulation - a force Now and for the Future!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015