The AM Forum
May 03, 2024, 08:27:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Station Takes a Bath  (Read 18426 times)
WA1GFZ

« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2007, 04:04:02 PM »

I wonder if ridex helps sounds pretty often. I wonde if you could clean the filter and hold off pumping the tank??
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2007, 06:37:08 PM »

That's a good question.  Not sure though.  Judging from the look of the baffle design and the way the filter is configured in the system there probably wouldn't be any long term benefit. I think with the amount of sludge that would be in there, it would be just a matter of short time before it would clog up again. I almost think the tank is design this way by intention.

I can't say that I'd be willing to dig up the tank opening and deal with the smell and mess to clean the filter.  It's not a pleasant thing to do.  Once the tank accesses were open, it was probably 30 seconds and there were flies all over the place.  I don't do bugs to well. I have no problem paying someone to clean the filter and pump the tank. And I'm fortunate enough that the openings are around 8 inches below the surface so it's not difficult at all to dig up so I'll do it again in 3 years and write a check.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2007, 07:33:32 PM »

we had 5 kids in our family and my Dad would have it pumped every 5 years or so. Souds like a design scam....or we didn't crap much. (3 sisters, I don't remember Dad saying anything about paper)
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2007, 07:55:07 PM »

If the filter does indeed protect the drainage field for the long term, I guess I don't have a problem with it.  On the other hand, my folks raised three boys and the septic system took some pretty heavy abuse and it lasted 30+ years before they disconnected it and went to municipal sewer so who knows.  It would be interesting to know how long these modern engineered systems will last.  I wonder if there is any data showing their long term performance when compared to the ole "stick it in the ground and hope it drains and works properly" type of system.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2007, 10:26:57 PM »

I've been told that one of the big killers for the system is fat buildup in the leach field. The goo eases out of the pipes and sits there, coating everything....  fat does not biodgrade well .  klc

What? Me worry?
WA1GFZ

« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2007, 03:45:12 PM »

Dish washing soap doesn't help either. You don't want to upset the bio action going on. Yeast helps too. Fat floats above outlet. The solids that drift down to the output port level is the stuff that goes into the leach field. My system the output port was about a foot below the surface  of the stew. I had to JS a homebrew baffle when mine broke and fell to the bottom. It hung in for over 15 years after that. The leach field wants to drain off excessive water below the surface subs and above the bottom sludge. you get into trouble when the bottom sludge builds up to the exit port. I guess the new design adds more protection. BTW how much is a honey wagon run these days. It used to be $100 if you dug the hole.
gee my yuppie sister in law put in a new tank about 4 years ago and they don't know which end of a shovel is the handle....I know they will think I'm nuts if I warn them. Sounds like a perfect subject for Thanksgiving. 
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2007, 04:58:40 PM »

In my case it cost $285.00 with a new filter and no sales tax.  The one place the state of CT has not caught onto yet.  I saved 10% by digging the holes myself.  Took me 20 minutes to dig the openings.  I'm sure I could have found something less expensive if I shopped around.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2007, 07:50:49 PM »

Wow you have to replace the filter? I figured it a stainless screen.
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2007, 03:54:51 PM »

I opted to have it replaced even though it wasn't necessary.  Probably next time I will have him clean it and shove it back into place. 

The filter is nothing more than a plastic screen.  They basically recycle the filters.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015