The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 06:13:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Radio Handbook and Radiotron Designers Handbook  (Read 19495 times)
W2INR
Radio Syracuse
Founding

Syracuse Radio W2INR

« on: August 29, 2007, 09:14:11 PM »

I have found these two books the most valuable to me when I was getting into building and home brewing and I find myself going back to these books from time to time. They are a great addition to any collection.

Bill Orr's - W6SAI -  Radio Handbook, 15th edition ( sometimes refered to as The West Coast Handbook) and the RCA Radiotron Designers Handbook,  Fourth Edition .

G

G - The INR

Amateur Weather Station KNYSYRAC64
Creator - owner - AMfone.net - 2001 - 2010
Founding Member - NEAR-Fest
SWLR-RNŲ54
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2007, 10:02:43 PM »

... and  you can get 'em online fer free

http://www.pmillett.com/tecnical_books_online.htm

What? Me worry?
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2007, 10:55:14 AM »

I have found these two books the most valuable to me when I was getting into building and home brewing and I find myself going back to these books from time to time. They are a great addition to any collection.

Bill Orr's - W6SAI -  Radio Handbook, 15th edition and the RCA Radiotron Designers Handbook,  Fourth Edition .

Both red, IIRC. The ARRL handbooks were always great for their catalog sections, the Radio Handbook was known more for its content. G is right - if you're building a big rig, both of these are 'must have's.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
k7yoo

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2007, 11:55:21 AM »

I have found the left coast RADIO handbooks  to be the best source for vintage design and construction data. They nearly always were a bit more "adventuresome" regarding the use of tubes and power levels that the ARRL shunned for whatever reason. The nicely constructed 4-1000 pa in the 14th or 15th edition (I can't remember which) is a fine example of this.
I love the caption (paraphrased here)
"this amp is an engineering exercise capable of power in excess of legal limits, but the design principles can be used for the design of amateur level equipment"

OK

W1EUJ
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2007, 12:51:45 PM »

I just bought a 8th Edition of the RADIO Handbook. Compared to the ARRL designs, the RADIO designs use less components, depending on the characteristic properties of the designed-for-the-amatuer tubes, transformers and chokes. It really is neat looking - the final amplifier section looks actually finger-liftable!

One final amp has only 4-5 components under the chassis - a couple of Taylor tubes, cap and coil on the topside. Everything else is hardware.

Here are some titles from the Handbook:

Simple 15 Watt Two Band Exciter or Transmitter
5 Watt 160 Meter VFO
25 Watt V.F.O For 80, 40, and 20 Meters
807 Utility Unit
100-Watt Bandswitching Exciter or Transmitter
Push-Pull 8005 Amplifier
200 Watt R.F. Amplifer or Modulator
150 Watt C.W. Transmitter
400 Watt 10-160 Meter Plate Molulated 'Phone

Out in the West, it is all about the Watts!

David Goncalves
Ian VK3KRI
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2007, 09:51:15 PM »

Bill Orr's - W6SAI -  Radio Handbook, 15th edition ( sometimes refered to as The West Coast Handbook) and the RCA Radiotron Designers Handbook,  Fourth Edition .

G

That would be the Amalgamated Wireless Valve Company Radiotron Designers Handbook  Grin .  Just a note to anyone looking at picking up a copy, the 4th edition is THE one to get . The 3rd edition is 352 pages, the 4th is 1482 pages!  Thats not to say that there is anything wrong with the 3rd Ed, Its just that the 4th is one of the most complete references I have ever seen. It would have been an almost complete coverage of the design of domestic electronic equipment when it was published in 1952. 

There was a reprint some time in the 90s(?) from Newnes due to demand from tube audio amp builders.

Ian VK3KRI
W1RC
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2007, 07:41:21 PM »

My personal favorite for learning how radio works is ELECTRONIC COMUNICATION by Robert SHRADER.  It is not focused on amateur radio but covers all different forms, broadcasting, communications, etc.  I used this text to prepare for my Amateur Extra exam in 1980-81 before the question pools (and answers) were available.

Worked for me.

MisterMike

"It is a good thing we don't get the government we pay for."  Will Rogers.
KA2QFX

Mark

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2011, 11:41:33 AM »

Page has moved and become broader in scope.  Same sponsor.
http://www.tubebooks.org/
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015