The AM Forum
May 17, 2024, 06:01:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Book: The World of Ham Radio, 1901-1950: A Social History  (Read 2067 times)
Ed-VA3ES

« on: August 21, 2007, 04:00:35 PM »

A new academic book is being released  shortly,  "The World of Ham Radio, 1901-1950: A Social History"

I ordered this book last June, from Amazon. They say they will ship end of September. Obviously I haven't read it yet.
It covers the era we all love, so I look forward to reading it.

Description
During the first fifty years of the twentieth century, ham radio went from being an experiment to virtually an art form. Because of the few government restrictions and the low monetary investment required, the concept of ham radio appealed to various people. More than just a simple hobby, however, ham radio required its operators to understand radio theory, be able to trace a schematic and know how to build a transmitter and receiver with whatever material they might have available. With the advent of World War II and the increased need for cutting-edge communications, the United States government drew upon the considerable knowledge and skill of these amateur ham radio operators, validating the fact that ham radio was here to stay.

This book explores the history of ham radio operators, emphasizing their social history and their many contributions to the technological development of worldwide communications. It traces the concept of relays, including the American Radio Relay League, from contacts as close as 25 miles apart to operators anywhere in the world. The book highlights the part played by ham radio in many of the headlined events of the half century, especially exploration and aviation "firsts". The ways in which these primarily amateur operators assisted in times of disaster including such events as the sinking of the Titanic and the 1937 Ohio River flood, are also examined.

About the Author
Richard A. Bartlett, professor emeritus of Florida State University, lives in Tallahassee.

Details
Hardcover: 292 pages
Publisher: McFarland (August 13, 2007)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 0786429666
ISBN-13: 978-0786429660
Product Dimensions: 10 x 7.3 x 0.9 inches
Shipping Weight: 1.5 pounds (View shipping rates and policies)

More info on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0786429666/ref=pe_snp_666

"There ain't a slaw-bukit inna worl, that kin jam me!!"
W2XR
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2007, 09:59:57 PM »

Ed,

This looks like it may be an interesting book, and I plan on ordering it form Amazon.com once they have it available.

There may have been another book, very similar in context, that was released a few months ago. I seem to recall the author being a non-ham female, and I believe it explored the social/cultural aspects of our hobby. Has anyone read this book (which may have been advertised in ER)? Comments would be appreciated; if this book is considered worthwhile reading, I may order it as well, assuming it is still available.

Thanks & 73,

Bruce

Real transmitters are homebrewed with a ratchet wrench, and you have to stand up to tune them!

Arthur C. Clarke's Third Law: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic".
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015