The AM Forum
May 01, 2024, 08:29:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: new station  (Read 8320 times)
WA3VJB
« on: August 17, 2007, 07:45:42 AM »

Please welcome Ron KC4YOY when u hear him on.
Although he's a longtime collector of antique radios and is a player in the Antique Wireless Association, the news (via the Southeastern AM Radio Club) is that he's on the air with the newly configured vintage AM setup shown below at his home near Charlotte, NC.
http://radioheaven.homestead.com/displayroom.html

* YOY.jpg (182.1 KB, 400x374 - viewed 490 times.)
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2007, 08:02:21 AM »

Yes !!!!! Another VIKER Brother !!!

Will do, Paul.
Mike/W8BAC
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2007, 08:20:01 AM »

Better warn this guy not to work Joe, N3IBX. One long old buzzard and that whole collection will be sucked into the vortex.  Grin

You might remember the movie Hellraiser? That little box that would open and spin and swallow everything in the room? Joe found one in a box under a table at Hoss Traders a few years back and has figured out how to make them now. He puts them inside of Viking II's and loans them to unsuspecting newbee's with large collections. Once Joe makes contact with his evil Viking II, it's all over.

I have heard Buddly is Joe's helper. Bud used to have 3 converted broadcast transmitters including a beautiful old Western Electric and a shack full of rare and historic equipment. NOW all that's left? Yup, your right! A Viking II.

Don't borrow anything from Joe!

* hellraiser.jpg (72.67 KB, 481x755 - viewed 403 times.)
N6WDR

N6WDR World Domination Radio

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2007, 09:27:45 AM »

That little box that would open and spin and swallow everything in the room?

That was Pandora's box, I wonder if that is the problem with my Valiant hummmm.  I'll have to look more deeply into it, to see if that is what is wrong with it lol.

Richard

PS  I almost forgot.... welcome KC4YOY Ron, I hope you enjoy the Johnson and the AM brother hood.

SSB is for Sissy's... AM Is For Real Men
Mike/W8BAC
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2007, 09:44:11 AM »

Here is a picture of Bud's station shortly after the accident. The "Box" Joe planted wasn't as powerful as the original and it didn't sweep everything away. Joe has upgraded the high voltage power supply and the box is very effective now. Just look at the damage.

* Bud.jpg (39.59 KB, 640x480 - viewed 463 times.)
AF9J
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2007, 10:07:50 AM »

Hi Ron,

Welcome to our little AM coffee klatsch.  BTW, Buddly, where did yousee the Vike II on his web page?  I couldn't find it.  But I did see the Clough-Brengle transmitter and National HRO and 1-10A receivers.  Really old school cool!

Ellen - AF9J
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2007, 10:29:57 AM »

Ellen, the YOY pix in the first post. Viker 2 on top of the receiver.

Mike: as u see some stuff was left after the vortex attack. I found BLUE CURTAINS to be a partial shield against the mayhem.
Mike/W8BAC
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2007, 10:41:19 AM »

I know your memory was wiped clean by the ordeal Bud and your working to find your way back.

I found some pictures of your stuff. Check out the grin on that kisser. Your old WE in the background and the rest of your stuff jammed in that garage. It's painful, I know.

Your family was sitting close and was sucked into the vortex as well. It's time you remember.

* Vortex.JPG (60.4 KB, 640x480 - viewed 442 times.)

* Buddly_Bunch.jpg (18.35 KB, 320x240 - viewed 400 times.)
k7yoo

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2007, 11:13:01 AM »

I recognize those faces from somewhere--Are you related to the Brady bunch? Strange resemblance.
Skip
WA3VJB
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2007, 11:14:17 AM »

I know which one is Buddly.
Actually, this guy may have Vortex Joe beat when it comes to collecting. I know, hard to believe, but check this little tidbit where Ron is describing his interests ...

One thing that got me interested in early amateur gear is that I found that most hams, especially new and younger hams had no idea what came before their pocket size HTs. The concept of have to have a desk full of radio equipment with tubes and wires was totally foreign to them. So I started trying to collect vintage ham gear  that would represent amateur radio through the decades. So far I've got enough stuff to show a early 20's station with a spark transmitter, a 1930's station with a 2 tube transmitter built from and article in a 1929 issue of QST with a  3 tube receiver with plug in coils. I have a mid 30's station with a first generation National HRO receiver and a transmitter that was built by Clough-Brengle in 1934 to be used by the Civilian Conservation Corps. I also have enough gear to set a 1950's station with a Globe transmitter, any of several National or Hammarlund receivers, and late 50's Gonset 2 & 6 meter rigs.

Over the years our local group has done many displays of antique radios at various hamfests, local events and also in local museums. I currently have radios displayed at the Discovery Place Science Museum and the Levine Museum of the New South, both in Charlotte, NC.

As you can see from the photos, my display room is full. I don't do much buying anymore since there's almost no where to put anything else. Most of my collecting effort now days is vintage tubes and paper related to early radio. I'm always on the look out for early home brewed amateur gear.

Mike/W8BAC
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2007, 11:28:17 AM »

That's interesting Paul and that is exactly why Joe is interested. Ron KC4YOY just emailed me. He opened the Viking II and found this.

The DYMO labels read, "If found please return to Joe, N3IBX" "address good @ QRZ.com, Thanks"

* Vortex Pandora's Box.jpg (8.11 KB, 276x297 - viewed 409 times.)
KL7OF

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2007, 11:39:12 AM »

flux capacitor?
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2007, 11:55:16 AM »

Stop Mike.... ur killin' me  Tongue

Yes... flux capacitors create the vortex. Controlling where the vortex leads (time, location ect...) is Joe's secret !!

Buddly Bunch ...... give me a break !!
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2007, 09:14:05 PM »

stay tuned for a fabulous VORTEX picture!!!!!!!!!!!
Fred

Fred KC4MOP
AF9J
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2007, 10:25:17 PM »

Ellen, the YOY pix in the first post. Viker 2 on top of the receiver.

Mike: as u see some stuff was left after the vortex attack. I found BLUE CURTAINS to be a partial shield against the mayhem.

Yeah, I just noticed it 3 seconds ago (right before I read your post).  Can you say "I'm stupid"?   Sure you can, I knew you could.  He has a nice setup.

Ellen - AF9J
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015