The AM Forum
April 26, 2024, 08:44:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hallicrafters S-19R consideration  (Read 7038 times)
David, K3TUE
Per-spiring AM'er
Contributing

« on: August 15, 2007, 11:28:24 PM »

For some reason lately after reading an article in ER about an S-19R resto I have been noticing it more.  I understand that these articles I have been reading are mostly written by people who had one or knew someone when they were young who had one.  Most of what I have read leads me to understand it is essentially a pre-WWII S-38 (the early one with the BFO) with a power transformer transformer (not an AC/DC shocker).

Because there were so many of them apparently made (not unlike the S-38) I get the impression that they are cheap, so it fits my needs on this criteria.  But so were Pintos.  And as my wife if fond of quoting, her mother used to say, "What is cheap becomes expensive".  So I don't want to bother with one if it is just a better doorstop than an S-38 because it has a power transformer.

Opinions?

David, K3TUE
K1MVP
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2007, 11:51:45 PM »

For some reason lately after reading an article in ER about an S-19R resto I have been noticing it more.  I understand that these articles I have been reading are mostly written by people who had one or knew someone when they were young who had one.  Most of what I have read leads me to understand it is essentially a pre-WWII S-38 (the early one with the BFO) with a power transformer transformer (not an AC/DC shocker).

Because there were so many of them apparently made (not unlike the S-38) I get the impression that they are cheap, so it fits my needs on this criteria.  But so were Pintos.  And as my wife if fond of quoting, her mother used to say, "What is cheap becomes expensive".  So I don't want to bother with one if it is just a better doorstop than an S-38 because it has a power transformer.

Opinions?

Hi Dave,
I have had an S-20 which I think is similar to an S-19, and I thought the selectivity was cr@p,--it
was "broad as a barn door", and the sensitivity was nothing to brag about either, as it was a 1938
single conversion.

I think they may be sought after nowadays more for collector value and not performance,IMO.
Have you considered an HQ-129x, as it is a heck of alot better single conversion receiver both
in sensitivity and selectivity, IMO, ya cant beat it(along with the HQ-140 or 150).

If you are "open" to military receivers, a BC-342 or 348 is a better buy IMO, although they can be a
bit broad, there are a lots of mods out there to improve selectivity, and they are also a lot
 of "bang for the buck".,--I am in the process of restoring one now,(recapping etc, etc).

73, K1MVP    Smiley
W2JBL

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2007, 12:11:59 AM »

it's better than a door stop, and better than an S38, but for a station receiver it's best used on 75 or 40 during the day or 160 at night. a bit more selective than a good S38, and not half bad on SSB. i have had a 1939 S19R for about 20 years. i use it as a casual monitoring receiver. it's cool! i recapped it in 1990 and finally replaced all the resisitors (all were way out of tolerance) two years ago. and by the way welcome to 75 Dave. was nice to meet you on the air a few weeks ago.
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2007, 08:31:27 AM »

Doorstop!! With today's crowded bands and qrm they are best used for a doorstop!! Or possibly a nice shelf decoration.

The Slab Bacon

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
K3ZS

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2007, 10:13:13 AM »

My first receiver as a Novice was the "Sky Buddy" S-19.  It brings back a lot of memories but it wasn't a very good receiver.  It had low audio and low sensitivity above 40M.   It was replaced by a 1947 NC-183 (not D), this was a dream receiver in comparison to the Sky Buddy.
WU2D
Contributing

CW is just a narrower version of AM

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2007, 01:39:04 PM »

I fixed a sky buddy for a "buddy" a year and a half ago. It was my first experience with a vintage Hallicrafters. It was a easy to work on with lots of room and came back very nicely. The BFO had been completely rewired for half of a 6SN7. I returned this to the original vintage tube socket and 75 tube.

My payment was being able to use it in the upcoming AWA 1941 CW contest that year and any time I needed it thereafter.

The radio has a neat accessory socket on the rear. I built a simple Q-Multiplier using a 6J5 that plugged in there. This made the radio sit up and beg and really helped the AM selectivity.
When I delivered it to the guy, I gave him the little helper.

Mike WU2D

These are the good old days of AM
K1MVP
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2007, 03:26:40 PM »

My first receiver as a Novice was the "Sky Buddy" S-19.  It brings back a lot of memories but it wasn't a very good receiver.  It had low audio and low sensitivity above 40M.   It was replaced by a 1947 NC-183 (not D), this was a dream receiver in comparison to the Sky Buddy.

My experience been has that the Hallicrafters "low end" receivers, S-38`s
and even some of the "mid grade",(S-40`s and SX-99`s) are not the
greatest in sensitivity or selectivity or stability.
Sure, you can add an RF preamp, and a Q multiplier but it is still
a "so-so" radio.
Now if you build a High frequency converter(for 10, 15 and 20) and
use a 3.5 mhz output, to feed into the S-40 or SX-99,--that could
really make a big difference on the higher bands.
The only receivers(hallicrafters) that make a good "stand alone" radio
are the higher end, such as the SX-100, SX-71 SX-96, or even better
the SX-115.--ya really need the sensitivity and selectivity on todays
ham bands, IMO.
                                    73`s, K1MVP

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015