The AM Forum
July 05, 2024, 03:01:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: BANDS WITH ELECTRONIC/RADIO ETC NAMES...  (Read 33409 times)
K3ZS

« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2007, 09:42:39 AM »

How about Manhatten Transfer "Baby Come Back to Me (The Morse Code of Love), you can hear it on Amazon.com sampled on the "Best of Manhatten Transfer" CD.   The background singing is "dit dah didit".
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2007, 10:49:02 AM »

Radio Waves and Radio K.A.O.S. by Roger Waters

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
WU2D
Contributing

CW is just a narrower version of AM

« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2007, 04:43:36 PM »

Very Good Jason - Methyl..

How about: Crystal Diode and the Loose Couplers?

Mike WU2D

These are the good old days of AM
kb1jcy
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2007, 06:29:38 PM »

Lots of references to radio/electronics in the world of ambient/downtempo electronica.

Band names:
Wilco, Telefunken, Global Communication

Songs:
Zed and Two LL's - Fila Brazilia
Morse Code - Roni Size
Walkie Talkie - Air
AF9J
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2007, 07:53:26 PM »

"Mister Radio"  (Linda Ronstadt)

Hey Glenn - Cool Icon!  A Frank Zappa album cover!

Ellen - AF9J

WU2D
Contributing

« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2007, 10:14:22 PM »

Ellen,

In 2003 I got to visit Vilnius Lithuania on a work trip and toured the KGB museum among other things. Anyway they used to have a big statue of Lenin outside but when I went out there what did I find?

Mike WU2D

* Sydney_Morning_Herald.gif (40.16 KB, 619x1292 - viewed 389 times.)

* zappa.jpg (66.68 KB, 600x262 - viewed 433 times.)

AF9J
« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2007, 11:23:27 PM »

Whoah!  He must have played there before he died in the late 90s.  BTW, Frank Zappa was a fantastic guitarist (as is his oldest son Dweezil).

Ellen - AF9J
Jim KF2SY

« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2007, 07:52:11 AM »

Who could forget "Make a Circuit With Me" by the 80's
British Rockabilly band "The Polecats"

google the lyrics

73 Jim
W1GFH
« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2007, 12:31:42 PM »

Who could forget "Make a Circuit With Me" by the 80's
British Rockabilly band "The Polecats

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GA4foTap-WQ

Never saw that one. Fascinating.
Glenn NY4NC
« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2007, 02:10:32 PM »

That's great!... Zappa was truly a genius..

On Youtube I recently found an old tonight show Jay Leno interview with Frank where he told a story about when he spoke to some European leaders about his plan to tear down the Berlin wall... COOL! Cool

Ellen,

In 2003 I got to visit Vilnius Lithuania on a work trip and toured the KGB museum among other things. Anyway they used to have a big statue of Lenin outside but when I went out there what did I find?

Mike WU2D
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2007, 02:18:40 PM »

When Frank went to pick up Connie at the Coneheads home, I thought I was gonna die. Beldar offered him a six pack and Frank opened up all the cans and drank like Beldar did, mass quantities of beer and edible foodstuffs flying everywhere...............  klc   

What? Me worry?
Glenn NY4NC
« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2007, 03:28:43 PM »

I remember that Saturday Night Live episode very well!! His band did a live version of "I Am The Slime"

".... I am the slime from your video oozing along on your living room floor.."

When Frank went to pick up Connie at the Coneheads home, I thought I was gonna die. Beldar offered him a six pack and Frank opened up all the cans and drank like Beldar did, mass quantities of beer and edible foodstuffs flying everywhere...............  klc   
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2007, 04:02:16 PM »

Don Pardo rocks.......

I am the Slime

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtAjotVrYpc

What? Me worry?
AF9J
« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2007, 04:23:59 PM »

I saw that episode in reruns.  From what I've read, in real life, Frank Zappa was not a drunk or a druggie. He married his wife Gail in the late 60s, and they remained married until the day he died (BTW, at the time they married, she was a school teacher).  He had 4 kids.  The only thing odd about him was the weird image he seemed to cultivate (he often said he acted weird in order to be sarcastic).

As I mentioned before, Frank was a fantastic guitar player.  I first got turned onto Frank in the early 80s, when a high school classmate of mine played me his album "Joe's Garage Act 1."  It sounded kind of different and cool in a goofy sort of way, but what really turned my ear (as a guitarist) on during those first listens, was the musical interlude  ("On The Bus") between  "Fembot In A Wet T-Shirt", and "Why Does It Hurt When I ...." (I'll leave the song title's ending for you to find [it's kind of vulgar - although the song is kind of funny, especially the sincere way that Ike Willis sings it]).  The interlude sounds like manic, heavy, acid jazz.  A few months afterword, I read an interview of Frank in "Guitar Player" magazine.  He was very knowledgeable musically.  Also, Frank Zappa released a 3 album set of his live musical concert interludes called "Shut Up and Play Yer Guitar."  I used to have it on LP.  Fantastic stuff.  

I'm not crazy about all of his stuff (most of the "Best of" album called "Strictly Commercial", bores me), but when Frank's music is cool, it's really cool.   BTW, before he died, Frank Zappa wrote a few symphonies that were played by some major philharmonic symphonies.  Also, some world class guitarists (such as Steve Vai)  played in Frank's band, before they were well known.  What else can you say about a guy, who released his albums on his own record company, and not only was weird about naming his kids, but named his record company "Barking Pumpkin Records.  Definitely one of a kind.

Ellen -AF9J
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #39 on: August 09, 2007, 09:40:19 AM »

Songs:

R.E.M.'s first big hit in the early 80s and my fav by them:  Radio Free Europe

"Calling all in transit, Calling all in transit
Radio Freeee Europe, Radio Freee Europe.."

ELO: Here is the News (maybe TV, doesn't really say)

Strange Advance: Sister Radio

John Denver: Late Night Radio

PIL: Radio 4

Tull: Radio Moscow

Harry Chapin: W.O.L.D. (love the reverb at the end)

Buzzcocks: Radio 9

Joni Mitchell: You turn me on, I'm a radio

Clash: Capital Radio

etc etc

Somewhere I have a list of radio/TV related songs I used to play at WGDR. Tron has a bunch that he sometimes plays on 'BCQ, too. Maybe he'll add a few.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
AF9J
« Reply #40 on: August 09, 2007, 10:13:26 AM »

You Like the Buzzcocks Todd?  Dude, you have taste.  R.E.M. and The Clash are also cool (I love the Clash's first album, and "English Civil War" off of the "Give 'em Enough Rope" album). 

Ellen - AF9J
A Buzzcocks listener since 1979
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #41 on: August 09, 2007, 03:16:35 PM »

Yep, them and the Dolls (NY and before), Stooges, Pistols, etc. Wasn't a lot to choose from in the 70s. Bubblegum music was too annoying and Disco was just so.... wrong.  Tongue  Boston became the 'corporate' poster child, same thing happened later to REM and U2. Probably the biggest change would go to the Pretenders, from late 70s punk to Easy Listening today. But half of the original group died, so there ya go. Most folks think punk started in the UK. But then, very few know that NY Dolls lead David JoHansen was also none other than Buster Poindexter in the 80s. Now THAT's funny!

IIRC, one of the asian car companies used the Buzzcock's "What Do I Get?" in an ad a few years back. Nissan mebbe? I know they used The Smiths "How Soon is Now?" at one point.

There were some interesting 80s groups too, but that's straying far from the original post.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
AF9J
« Reply #42 on: August 09, 2007, 04:23:34 PM »

OK, but on the line of the Buzzcocks, don't forget their song "Fast Cars".  It perfectly embodies why I find NASCAR such a turnoff.  The Stooges - "Raw Power" rules (I have the remastered version that Iggy Popp had a hand in remastering).  BTW the guitarist from that era (James Wilkerson - Ron Ashton played bass for that album), retired from music after the "Raw Power" album, and ever since then, has had a successful career in Silcon Valley!  Yep, all too often when I think of the 70s, I remember that there was too much bad music, bad hair, and bad clothing styles!  It must be due to being a Gen Xer.  I don't get the 70s nostalgia kick.  I lived through the 70s once, I don't want to live through them again.

Ellen - AF9J
WU2D
Contributing

« Reply #43 on: August 09, 2007, 05:33:17 PM »

Our favorite in Rochester in the late 70's was a jazz rock group called The Good Rats out of Jersey. They played all over the college circuit. I remember one of their songs - Tasty.

Mike WU2D

KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #44 on: August 10, 2007, 03:02:51 PM »

"The Radio Is Broken"     on The Man From Utopia

F Zappa

Well, it is a bit of a reach.....   klc

What? Me worry?
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #45 on: August 11, 2007, 01:18:42 PM »

"Video Killed the Radio Star" by the Buggles - the first video shown on MTV.
Glenn NY4NC
« Reply #46 on: August 13, 2007, 08:00:34 AM »

I'll have to disagree with that statement. In the 1970's, It all depended on what Radio stations were playing in your area. Growing up in the NYC area, we were fortunate to have a station like WNEW FM to listen to. Progressive Rock bands like King Crimson, Genesis, Gentle Giant, Yes, Zappa, Utopia and many others were producing lots of great music during this period.

My friends were all extreme anti disco. Tongue

Now the 80's? that's another story. Shocked

Wasn't a lot to choose from in the 70s. Bubblegum music was too annoying and Disco was just so.... wrong. 
AF9J
« Reply #47 on: August 13, 2007, 08:37:54 AM »

Prog was OK Glenn, but it seemed like after the mid 70s, it got so bloated.  I mean, c'mon "Thick as a Brick" by Jethro Tull - the entire album was basically one song with movements.  Yes' "Tales of Topographic Oceans" - each side was a song.  Now I'll be first one to admit that maybe they were treating the albums like symphonies, but as a woman who was classically trained in music (I played in Symphonic Band [my brass instrument, the Baritone Euphonium, wasn't considered a "proper" instrument for symphony - the snobs!] until I was a Sophomore in college), it just didn't seem right for rock. 6 minute songs - OK.  9 or 10 minute songs - once in a great while, no big deal.  But 17 minute plus songs - the energy just went bye-bye for me.  I dig Rush, but I don't care for "The Fountains of Lamneth" off of Caress of Steel, or everything after "Temples of Syrinx", on side 1 of 2112.

On the vein of radio & electronic song, album & band titles: The Buzzcocks - "Trade Test Transmissions" - both the album title and the song (also called TTT).  Trade test ransmissions are test transmissions made by radio & TV stations to check signal quality (which is also mentioned in the liner notes to this album).

Ellen - AF9J
Glenn NY4NC
« Reply #48 on: August 13, 2007, 10:26:44 AM »

Hi Ellen;

Like anything, it's whatever floats your boat.. Prog Rock is and has been hands down my favorite music since the 1970's. Besides playing guitar, I also write and record my own original music the majority of which is Prog. Thick As A Brick is pure genius as is the following Tull album "A Passion Play"... and what about Close To The Edge? These albums were all huge sellers and continue to sell to this day. Good music stands the test of time. Like i said, it's my kinda of stuff.. to each his/her own I guess. Besides that, I also love good ole R&R.... Deep Purple, James Gang, The Ramones, and other "toe tappers"  Grin  Grin  Grin

......"I am the morning DJ on WOLD.... "  (Harry Chapin)
AF9J
« Reply #49 on: August 13, 2007, 10:45:23 AM »

I agree Glenn.  Believe it or not I have an earworm running through my head as I write this (an earworm is a song that's kind of playing in your mind like a broken record) - Pat Travers Band - "Crash & Burn".  I saw him perform it live in 1984, while I was in college.  It's like Fusion on steriods - way cool.

Ellen - AF9J

P.S. -it'd be a blast to jam with you, but the distance you know.....
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015