The AM Forum
May 05, 2024, 12:18:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: CHU getting QRM'd  (Read 4090 times)
WA3VJB
« on: July 25, 2007, 10:34:02 AM »

Anyone else catching the QRM against CHU on 7335 Kc?

And what is that, Phil's Brother Stair ?

They probably got chased up there by Ashtabula Bill.

Blaine N1GTU
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2007, 11:01:32 AM »

i thought CHU canada was loosing the 7335 frequency.
they have been broadcasting it for a while.

this is the info i found,  seems like they are ok to stay there but have to deal with interference maybe?

The transmissions have long been licensed as "fixed service" within the band allocations of the International Telecommunications Union. Allocation changes threatened CHU's use of 7.335 MHz. CHU was faced with either discontinuing the use of this frequency or relicensing it as a "broadcast" by April 2007. CHU user input was sought with the following message transmitted each minute, alternating between English and French:

"On April 1, 2007, CHU needs to stop operating, change frequencies, or relicense. Contact radio.chu@nrc.gc.ca or mail CHU Canada K1A 0R6."

On February 24, 2007, it was observed that the announcement had been updated to "CHU has been licensed to continue broadcasting on 7.335 MHz." This announcement altenated between English and French. (RJN)

On February 26, 2007, it was observed that all announcements regarding relicensing had been discontinued. (RJN)
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2007, 12:37:42 PM »

Even though CHU was first licensed as fixed service and now broadcast, it shouldn't change very much.  Until the recent reallocations, broadcasting was restricted by the ITU to 7100-7300 in region 1, and  if I recall correctly, 7200-7300 in region 3, with no broadcasting allowed at all in region 2.  All the broadcasters above 7300 were "outbanders" using spectrum allocated to the "fixed" service, even ones like WBCQ and WHRI, licensed by the FCC, and the BBC when they used to transmit on 7325.  So apparently the governments of nations round the world, even the US and FCC, don't strictly conform to the ITU regs.  Therefore, CHU has been subject to broadcast QRM all along. I have often heard weak broadcast signals beneath CHU during the evening hours.

The same is true with the 60m CB amateur band.  This is not an internationally sanctioned allocation for amateurs.  So this band, as well as the real ham band that was originally proposed, is "outband" as far as the ITU was concerned.  So was the original 11m ham band that we had before the creation of class D CB.

The FCC has been a  lot more gung-ho about conforming to ITU allocations regarding amateur spectrum than with privately-owned, mostly religious, broadcast stations.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
KC4HGH

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2007, 01:59:52 PM »

"The same is true with the 60m CB amateur band.  This is not an internationally sanctioned allocation for amateurs.  So this band, as well as the real ham band that was originally proposed, is "outband" as far as the ITU was concerned.  So was the original 11m ham band that we had before the creation of class D CB."

Sorry you don't like the 60m band, Don...it's been enjoyable operating there while mobile without someone snuggling up 1.5 kc away with a Kalifornia Kilowatt screaming, "CQ contest"....
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2007, 04:23:50 PM »

I didn't say I didn't "like" it.  I simply  have no interest in channelised SSB chat on prescribed frequencies using a prescribed sideband at prescribed bandwidth, with limited e.r.p. and limited antenna gain.  I want a REAL ham band where you can run real power on any frequency and put up real antennas, with AM, (and yes,SSB), CW and all the other modes you hear on 160, 75 and 40.

That said, I don't operate mobile.  It might be OK for that, and maybe for emergency communications during some kind of regional disaster.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
wb1aij
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2007, 08:31:42 AM »

Why would you want to listen to CHU anyway when we have WWV on so many "easy to remember" frequencies, not to mention having to convert the Canadian time. They use METRIC time, RIGHT?HuhHuhHuhHuh??
Ed-VA3ES

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2007, 10:29:18 PM »

Why would you want to listen to CHU anyway when we have WWV on so many "easy to remember" frequencies, not to mention having to convert the Canadian time. They use METRIC time, RIGHT?HuhHuhHuhHuh?? 
Not only is it metric,   but you have to factor in the exchange rate.     Tongue

"There ain't a slaw-bukit inna worl, that kin jam me!!"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015