The AM Forum
May 04, 2024, 08:49:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Frequency Dial Cleaning  (Read 2651 times)
W1QWT

« on: July 19, 2007, 08:50:00 AM »

Hi,
I am building a Navy WW2 vintage operating display for a local museum and need to clean up an old Navy receiver. The frequency dial is dirty and I was wondering if anyone knows a safe cleaning method?
The last time I tried to clean a frequency dial on an old receiver I used 409 and it cleaned all the printing off too and then I had to spend a month on my computer with photoshop making a new one. Never did look right!

Regards
Q
W1QWT

Regards, Q, W1QWT
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2007, 09:04:14 AM »

I seldom use 409 or Fantastik for anything because they are just too strong in most cases. I've seen them remove paint from cabinets, panels, and so on. Dials would be no match.

Some recommend you don't even try to clean them. I've had good luck using just Windex and gently wiping the dial with a damp (not soaked) paper towel. The trick is to let the surface dry between wipes, so the lettering doesn't get wet and rub off. If it's a translucent dial, you can clean the back more aggressively to let more light through. But be very careful with the face. Try a small area first, and don't expect to remove as much crud as you did from the back. Even Windex will remove lettering if you use too much or scrub too hard.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
W1VD
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2007, 11:08:33 AM »

Have had good luck with warm, watered down windex...approx. 2-3 parts water to 1 part windex. Dry immediately after washing. Haven't had it attack anything yet...but it's always a good idea to try it in an inconspicuous area first.

'Tnx Fer the Dope OM'.
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2007, 03:21:10 PM »

A mild cleaning solution, cotton swabs and lots of time. 

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015