The AM Forum
May 04, 2024, 11:14:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The End Result of a WZ1M Transformer Rewind  (Read 7649 times)
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« on: July 02, 2007, 02:25:26 PM »

Gary finished up the rewind, put the old girl back together (of course it's a girl, it's the part that talks), tested it fully and sent a couple of pics.

If there's any doubt of Gary's talents or that he takes pride in his work, see the 1952 Chicago Transformer decal affixed to the end bell. I asked Gary if he could skip the repaint and take care of the decal, he said 'sure!'. Picky I know, but it's part of the history of the transmitter. Some folks blow these off in the dishwasher, or bead blasting to repaint. Other than the cleaned laminations, this one looks as it did then it came out of the transmitter last May for the first time in 55 years. Even the insulators are stock, Gary took care not to break them.

I'll post once it's back on the air later this month. In the meantime, it sure looks good. Thanks to Gary for offering a service so few others do.

* Finished_Iron1.JPG (38.93 KB, 640x480 - viewed 569 times.)

* Finished_Iron2.JPG (35.81 KB, 640x480 - viewed 517 times.)

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
WA3VJB
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2007, 02:41:01 PM »

That's so cool.

I feel the same way cleaning up old tubes. Most of the ones I use are with painted-on logos, not etched.

So I have this vast collection of tubes that are 99 percent clean and shiny, with this oval of authentic vintage dust around the brand names.

Can't wait to hear the results of Gary's craftsmanship there Todd, hi hi FB OM.

AB2EZ

"Season's Greetings" looks okay to me...

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2007, 02:51:02 PM »

Todd

It looks beautiful!  Looking forward to hearing you on the air with it installed in your KW-1. I hope I don't need his services, but it's nice to know that Gary does such nice work.

Stu

Stewart ("Stu") Personick. Pictured: (from The New Yorker) "Season's Greetings" looks OK to me. Let's run it by the legal department
Rick K5IAR
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2007, 02:58:16 PM »

Todd,
It's been a pleasure following the progress of this beauty.  Thanks for sharing the photos and story.  Gary is the man!
Rick/K5IAR
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2007, 09:40:23 AM »

It's been a pleasure following the progress of this beauty.  Thanks for sharing the photos and story.  Gary is the man!
Rick/K5IAR

It's been great being able to show others the rather involved rebuilding process, along with the results of whacking the mod iron. Important also for those with a need to know what's available and see the quality put into the product.

Gary's prices are very good indeed, but it's still a pricey breakdown to fix. No getting around it. I'm as reluctant as the next guy to drop big bucks on something without being sure or at least feeling comfortable with the situation. Having several deals with Gary previously as well as hearing the kudos from others made a big difference, and knowing him personally no doubt helps. Hopefully my experience will put anyone else at ease who has doubts or might be on the fence.

Disclaimer: Despite his workmanship, Gary's rewind job won't make me sound any better. I lack the 'VJB 3rd BA for audio. But at least those familiar with my voice, either personally or via the mp3 files from Paul and others will get a good idea of the results once the transformer is back in the transmitter and on the air.

k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2007, 12:27:40 PM »

I would advise you to remove the stock splatter filter from the circuit entirely, to avoid a repetition of the fate with the rewound transformer.  I would probably mount the transformer on insulating material and install a set of spark gaps across the primary.  There should be a gap from the midtap to each end of the primary winding, set just far enough apart that they don't discharge under normal operation.

Never install a spark gap across the secondary, without a set across the primary as well.  The discharge across the secondary may induce an inductive kick back to the primary that will break down the insulation, just like running the transformer without any load on the secondary.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2007, 12:38:55 PM »

Got it covered, Don. The spark gap is sitting here on a table in the radio room, where 'PJP removed it. All it needs is to be reinstalled and gapped. And yes, one of the first things I did was to bypass the clipper and splatter filter back in '90. The filter is still in place, but nothing is hooked to it. I still lost the iron, but age as much as anything else was no doubt in play.

Hopefully it will outlast me and make someone else equally happy.

wb1aij
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2007, 12:45:59 PM »

The last time I rewound a transformer it was the high voltage winding that was open. I spent a couple of weeks doing about an hour or 2 per night meticulously hand winding each turn of wire, papering and lacquering each layer. I was soooo proud when I finished it because it looked beautiful. Then disaster struk; I realized I had completly forgotton the add the center tap. Beautiful....just f-----g beautiful. Still have the transformer sitting on the shelf as worthless as tits on a bull.
W4EWH

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2007, 02:01:13 PM »

The last time I rewound a transformer it was the high voltage winding that was open. I spent a couple of weeks doing about an hour or 2 per night meticulously hand winding each turn of wire, papering and lacquering each layer. I was soooo proud when I finished it because it looked beautiful. Then disaster struk; I realized I had completly forgotton the add the center tap. Beautiful....just f-----g beautiful. Still have the transformer sitting on the shelf as worthless as tits on a bull.

Why worthless?

Bill

Life's too short for plastic radios.  Wallow in the hollow! - KD1SH
KA2PYQ
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2007, 08:21:07 PM »

For anyone who doesn`t care how much electricity they use
during their dutiful half of a QSO, try connecting primary and
secondary in series and standing it on porcelains. You can
get a minimal step up ratio. Use a 3X2500F3 triode as a Heising
modulator and an 813 or 803 or 311-CH as an RF final. Also be
sure to use a simple resistive divider to the screen of the driver
tube to apply modulation there, or you can plate modulate a low-
gas high resistance driver. Sounds like that transformer`s a bit
too big for me to pack home from the next Near- Fest.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015