The AM Forum
April 19, 2024, 07:25:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Collins 32v series  (Read 7626 times)
WB8BEM
« on: July 02, 2007, 10:22:37 AM »

Can anyone enlighten me as to the differences between the 32v-1, 32v-2 and 32v-3?Huh

I've obtained a 32v-1 serial 386 maybe early??

I has no v305, v306 sockets near the 5R4 sockets as is shown on all the schematics and layouts I can find. Makes me think it was an early one before they were added?

Also, mine has been disassembled. The front panel was put back on, but nothing lined up. Can't get to some parts to tighten, ie Emission selector switch may be cross threaded. Does anyone have any breakdowns of this assembly? The pointer that moves with band isn't connected to anything?

Help?
Gary now K4XK

WA3VJB
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2007, 11:20:24 AM »

Hello to Shinbone !!
Do you still have the MVO transmitter?

Actually, the deleted tubes in your 32V mean it's the other way around, Gary.

With the 32V3, the final version of the senior Collins AM tabletop transmitter, the company deleted the 6SL7 oscillator tube, 6SN7 amplifier tube, and a volume control pot, which had provided a CW sidetone.

So, you've got the latest model.

It's also distinguished from the earlier versions by an AC line cord that is detachable, and  is mounted on two studs which actually are bypass capacitors.

The front panel is distinguished by two black rack handles, not found on any previous models in the 32V series.

Hope helpful.

Good luck on the other problems. Basket cases are tough to take.  The factory manual does not, in my recollection, include an exploded assembly diagram.
WB8BEM
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2007, 11:55:22 AM »

Hi Paul,

That's great except mine doesn't have handles, or removeable power cord, just the "screen voltage limiter" 0A2's are missing.

And the "old" looking tag says 32v-1 serial 386.

So I wish it was a -3 but still suspect it's not. Thanks for the info. however. Do you know the dofference between the 1 and the 2???

I no longer have the BC500gy. It's now residing in Mich. I've talked to it, so it's gone to a good home. Also sold the BC-1. It went back to Alabama. Now all I have is a 250C and BC500G both in Ala. I'm lightening the load, getting ready to move back, now with the 32v-?
I'm not sure I've lightened it any. It's sure heavy.

I've also got a heavy Mod. Transformer- RCA Broadcast labeled -rated 2KVA?

Ever hear of such? I guess I'll move it but it's heavy.

Gary now K4XK

WA3VJB
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2007, 12:13:12 PM »

Yep, didn't pay close attention to where you said they were located.
Okay, let's try again.
The V-1 and V-2 were supposedly distinguished by an improved RF tank with the V-2.
I have a V-2, and the front controls are Plate Tune and Load, perhaps like the V-1.

However, the V-1 is apparently not set up for a coax output, and does not have the chassis mounted SO-239 on the back to receive the PL-259 coax connector.

In addition, there is another adjustment control in the RF tank area of the 32V-1, according to what I've heard over the years, now seen on the internet.

These two links are among the descriptions.

http://www.radioing.com/collins/tx06.html

http://www.wa3key.com/32v3.html
N8ZSX
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2007, 12:18:19 PM »

Hi Gary,

Didn't realize you'd be working on it so soon!  I just looked at the same manuals, you're right it doesn't quite match, but it is a 32V1.  It seems like there are sockets back there for regulator tubes tho, just no shields, but I could be mistaken.  

Sorry about the front panel, I had forgotten that it was off and had to put it back on quickly to get it down to you.  The emission switch nut is loose but not cross-threaded, there was goo on the threads though.  The bandswitch pointer on the VFO is pushed up and down by that long spring in the parts jar I gave you, there's also a small metal piece in there that acts as a guide for the spring.  I'll try to get a few pictures of that area on my 32V2, it should be the same at least there.

The front panel isn't hard to remove, btw, there are screws behind the front chrome trim, and other philips head screws on the front which have to be removed, and the spring clips for the front trim pop out with pressure from a screwdriver shaft or other round rod.  

Dylan N8ZSX
WB8BEM
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2007, 04:50:52 PM »

Didn't realize you were on this list Dylan, was going to call you this evening.

I've so far figured out the pointer, I think. Reglued the meters glass.
tightened the sw. after removing the front panel but have yet to understand the lamp socket and where it mounts. It's shown as green on the schematic, power on, but no hole for green lens?Huh
Must illuminate the dial somehow? Any help appreciated. Also the tune switch is in pieces, need to find a replacement.

Getting close to applying power! Mech. stuff is always a problem for me. Hope the electrical goes smoother.

The difference I've noted is the -2 has a VR tubes regulated supply for the PTO, mine  doesn't and even though the schematic shows a screen grid limiter (two more VR tubes) mine doesn't have them.

Acts as a screen clamp in CW, so I won't miss that!

It does have coax out! Its missing the 6sn7 and 6sl7? that mount sideways along with an octal plug. I can't figure out which socket belongs to the plug??? No markings.

Still plugging along,
Gary
WA5VGO

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2007, 06:13:31 PM »

The most obvious difference between the 32V1 and the others is that the coarse loading switch is located inside the cabinet and you must lift the lid to adjust it.

Darrell, WA5VGO
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2007, 02:09:19 PM »

watch the fixed mica coupling caps in the output circuit. (coarse loading) They are scroteless and weak, and will break under full power with a high mismatch, or when you overcouple the coarse caps for the band you are on and try for a dip which will never happen. You got about 3 secs to unkey before you blow the cap. The rig will then load up to the cap you have blown and stop.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015