The AM Forum
May 18, 2024, 10:21:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Learning to send CW with a bug  (Read 19866 times)
David, K3TUE
Per-spiring AM'er
Contributing

« on: June 25, 2007, 10:33:42 PM »

It's not AM, but is is kind of buzzardly.  I am considering learning how to send CW with a bug.

I am not brilliant with a straight key.  But I would rather learn to send with a bug than a keyer.  And I was wondering if anyone here could provide any guidance on a good way to do so.

And if you have a good reason to not bother, I'd be happy to hear that as well.

David, K3TUE
AF9J
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2007, 12:01:50 AM »

Hi Dave,

I've been using a bug (although not as much as I used to years ago), for 25 years.  Start off at the lowest speed setting (about 18 WPM, although if you add a counterweight, you can go slower).  Keep the contact spacing relatively wide, on the Dah side of the lever, until you get the hang of it.  Then all you can do is practice, practice, practice. You WILL screw up a lot a first.  I did, and there's no way around it.  But once you get the hang of it, it's a blast. My original bug, was a Vibroplex Lightning Bug, that I had for 24 years.  I foolishly sold it last year.  I now have an old Vibroplex Champion Bug.

Ellen - AF9J
W4EWH

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2007, 12:16:46 AM »

OM,

I think the best technique is to practice sending "Farnsworth" characters, i.e., rather than try to slow the bug down to a slow speed, just let it do what it does best, and concentrate on sending complete characters at the bug's "native" speed, with added spacing between them to get the speed you're comfortable with.

You'll have a better fist, and I think you'll pick it up faster.

Oh, and lots of practice  Wink

Good luck!

73, Bill

Life's too short for plastic radios.  Wallow in the hollow! - KD1SH
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2007, 01:07:26 AM »

I learnt how to use a bug by simple trial and error with an old WW2 surplus Lional J-36.  The thing was terrible, with contact bounce and didn't like to run under about 30 wpm.  Later on, picked up a 1947 vintage Vibroplex original.  It also had contact bounce, and a very stiff feel.  Then a  few years ago I came across a 1929 vintage Vibroplex original at Dayton.  The thing looked like it might have been picked up off the street in Dresden right after the war.  I had to re-form bent parts (evidently it had been dropped), replace the broken bakelite finger paddles, and it was almost completely black, covered with what looked like soot.  I cleaned it up, made the necessary repairs and  got everything working again. 

That bug is velvet smooth, with almost no detectable contact bounce.  It is such a pleasure to send with that my electronic keyer began collecting dust on the shelf where it has remained for the last 7 years or so since I acquired the bug.

At one time I could send with both a bug and iambic keyer.  I had both hooked up, and could switch over in the middle of a word and the person on the other end wouldn't notice.  But I never had the control over the electronic keyer that I do the bug.  After a few minutes of sending with the keyer, I would start making mistakes, with an error every other word.  That never happened with the bug.  Now, I  doubt that I could even send with an iambic keyer without a lot of practice first.

Over the air, I work about 95% AM and 5% CW. 

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
AF9J
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2007, 07:13:51 AM »

I can't even use dual lever iambic paddles, due to decades of using a bug.  So my keyer paddle is a single lever Bencher (which of course I can use like a bug).  CW for me, is more of a change of pace thing.  As much as I like CW (and run run a fair amount of high speed CW [25-30 WPM]), I will admit, that if I seriously want to shoot the breeze, I prefer phone.  One of my most interesting QSOs (which took place on Xmas Eve '96 on 160m), was with an OT, who flew B-29s during WW2.  I don't think we would have had half the discussion we had, if it had been done via CW.

Ellen - AF9J
W1UJR
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2007, 07:34:47 AM »

Congratulations David, sending with a bug is indeed one of the more interesting and buzzardly aspects of the art of radio! As a mechanical guy, the entire design and operation of the Vibroplex has fascinated me since I was first licensed. Not to mention the historical aspect of sending with a bug which might be 50, 70, or 100 years old.

I am working on that very same skill myself, and happy to share what I have learned.
Right now I send only with a straight key on air, but have been practicing off the air with a Vibroplex.

The skill set for sending with a bug, as you mentioned, is a akin to using a keyer, at least for the dits. The dahs still need to be made by hand, and the ratio of dits to dahs serves to adds an element of personalization. Operation with a bug allows a more personalized sending skill, and clearer delineation of one's "fist". One hears terms like the "Lake Erie swing", and "Banana Boat swing", describing a style of sending first popularized by marine operators on cargo vessels.

One trick which was mentioned to me, and I find very helpful, is to pick up one of the MFJ code readers and send to it off the air. Using the sidetone oscillator of your rig, its a quick way to verify your sending is proficient. Sending with a bug has a somewhat steeper learning curve than sending with a hand key, I tend to drag ou the "dahs", making for poor code. The MFJ unit is very unforgiving, and if you can send clearly to that, you'll do well on the air!

Another trick which an old timer once showed me, was to wrap a ball of solder around the weight at the end of the bug, this slows down the action of the pendulum, and can be later removed when you want to speed up. I believe that Vibroplex and others now sell something called a "Bug Tamer" that does this very thing, but I find the solder works just as well, and its free!

Do you know about Bill Pierpont's N0HFF SK great book "The Art and Skill of Telegraphy"? A most though and wonderful treatment of CW, skills sending/receiving, and the history of the mode. You can find it for free download here --> http://www.qsl.net/n9bor/n0hff.htm

If you really get into it, you might enjoy Bill Holly K1BH's excellent book, "The Vibroplex Company", linked at --> http://universal-radio.com/catalog/books/0428.html

A key thing on using a bug is the proper set up, a great resource to set up the spacing here --> http://www.vibroplex.com/original_bug_adjustments.pdf
Also here --> http://members.iquest.net/~mjmanship/bugadj.htm

Finally, here is cool video and demo about sending with a bug --> http://www.vibroplex.com/1946_deluxe_n8ux.mov

I'm interested how things go for you, so keep us updated, and you are welcome to try your fist on the air with me any time Old Man.
I'm in the same learning phase as yourself.

73 Bruce W1UJR

PS - Forgot to mention that should you really get into bugs, Vibroplex has a sweet deal right now on their 100th anniversary models.
They are selling them as cosmetic "blems", but they really look fantastic. I took delivery of serial #321 last week.
The 100th anniversity model looks like the early Vibroplex, black "Japaned" paint with gold leaf highlights, like a work of art.
See photo at --> http://www.morsetastenladen.de/images/100ANNIV2.jpg
W1RC
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2007, 08:45:21 AM »

I am not brilliant with a straight key.  But I would rather learn to send with a bug than a keyer.  And I was wondering if anyone here could provide any guidance on a good way to do so.
David:

One of the best sites on the subject of keys, "bugs" etc. is Tom Perera's outstanding Web reference www.w1tp.com.

There you will find more material on the subject that anywhere else I know.  Tom is without doubt the premier collector of telegraphy and Morse items and he shares his knowledge with anyone who cares to seek him out. 

While you are at his site you also might want to look at his Engima Web pages as well.  Tom offers CD versions of his material for sale at very reasonable prices and they make outstanding references as well.

The links W1UJR provided are also excellent sources of information and material on the subject so I would imagine that you are "all set" now as we like to say here in New England.

Do not be concerned about discussing CW on AMFONE.  This Board is really about the love of amateur radio and its' culture as it was many years ago prior to the changes in licensing standards that some folks here do not feel was in the best overall interests of the Hobby.  Regardless, CW is most certainly a part of that culture and any discussions on that subject are very relevant.

MisterMike, W1RC

SHAMELESS PLUG:  Tom will be presenting a demonstration and talk on mechanical cryptographic devices including the ENGIMA (WW-II German), the NEMA (post-war Swiss) and FIALKA (recent Soviet) machines at the NEAR-Fest on October 12th and 13th 2007 at Deerfield NH.  He is a retired college professor and his presentations are very professional and always very interesting.

"It is a good thing we don't get the government we pay for."  Will Rogers.
K1MVP
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2007, 09:05:24 AM »

OM,

I think the best technique is to practice sending "Farnsworth" characters, i.e., rather than try to slow the bug down to a slow speed, just let it do what it does best, and concentrate on sending complete characters at the bug's "native" speed, with added spacing between them to get the speed you're comfortable with.

You'll have a better fist, and I think you'll pick it up faster.

Oh, and lots of practice  Wink

Good luck!

73, Bill

I think I would tend to agree,--learning the "overall sound" of each character rather than try to "count"
each "dit" and "dah" would be the way to go.
Counting each dit and dah may work for up to 10 wpm on a straight key, but not for learning/ or using
a bug at 15 wpm plus.
I always enjoyed using a straight key, and I knew a guy who could make a straight key sound like
he was using a bug,(he was that fast and good).
                                                            73, K1MVP       
AF9J
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2007, 10:18:50 AM »

I guess Farnsworth is a good way to teach using a bug (or even sending Morse in general), but by the time it came into vogue (the early 90s), I'd already been sending CW for over a decade.  I got my Novice in Feb. 78, and took my test on Xmas Eve Day, 1977 (Fran Murrray, K9RFZ SK, gave me the test; I was 14 years old at the time).  You had to do a sending test back then.  My original elmer busted my chops for lousy spacing from the get-go, forcing me to clean up my sending.  So, it was just practice, practice, practice.  I didn't have a CPO, so what I used to do when I got my bug in 1982, was send on my HW-16, into a dummy load, listening to the sidetone.  In spite of the practice, I still goofed up a bit, when I was on the air (especially when I was tired, and my concentration wasn't the greatest).

Ellen - AF9J

P.S. - I forgot to mention.  I used to help teach code at licensing classes.  We always used the Farnsworth method.
Ed W1XAW
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2007, 01:06:51 PM »

I use a Vibroplex standard with no weights.  In place of the weights I use a small cable clamp with a knurled brass but on each side (one for fast, two for slow).  Someday I'll buy a proper set of weights . . .maybe.  I also have a couple of Skillman Speedmasters which are slower than a Vibroplex but a little more delicate (both have glued-on handles that occasionally break off).  Finally, I have a Viproplex Blue Racer which is a real speed demon.  I have to be going through a real cw kick to use it as its too damn fast if you're rusty. 

The way I learned was to just sit down in front of one and start sending.  Not to make light of other ways but I learned by trial and error with no instruction.  I read the page on Vibroplex adjustment but never followed it as I was lazy.  In short order you can learn to send.  You are not trying to sound like an electric keyer as your sending should have some swing that will eventually be identifiable as your fist (it will even annoy some hams that only like machine made code).  The trick is to get your reading skill down for higher speeds as people assume you are capable of receiving real fast when they hear your bug.

Bugs are good for a lot of things but they can be tricky on a boat as the rocking motion adds an element of chaos to the sending if you slow up enough to allow the weight to bounce around.  73 de W1XAW
K1MVP
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2007, 04:48:14 PM »

QRP CW with a semi-automatic bug,--Now thats real fun AND a challenge.
                                            73, K1MVP Smiley

* pic.jpg (459.9 KB, 1425x1782 - viewed 473 times.)
AF9J
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2007, 06:56:17 PM »

Hmmmm,

Actually, I did just that for years Rene.  It was pretty fun.

Ellen - AF9J
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2007, 08:07:50 AM »

I was never a big CW guy, but i occasionally would do some. I definately prefer a bug or other types of sidewinder paddle key. I found that with a straight key, my right hand would cramp up badly. With a bug, the sideways action with my wrist wasnt painfull, and I could just as easily use just my thumb and index finger. I could go at it a lot longer before my hand would fatigue.

When using a Vibroplex, I have to listen to what I am sending. Without some kind of sidetone, or monitor you can easily be guilty of sending too many "dits". If running along with a little speed, you cant see how many times the contacts bounce.

One problem sending with a bug is that you can sometimes outsend your ability to copy. thus leaving you sending "QRS MF" in your next transmission.................................. Grin Grin

The Slab Bacon

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2007, 03:08:59 PM »

I'm pretty much in the same boat, Frank. Today's keyers get away from me or ahead of me, and I really don't care for the feel. Somewhere I have an old Cootie Key in a box, with a 'no prefix' callsign on bottom from Bart Havens' early days in radio. You can really slap at that.

Always liked the mechanical look and feel of an old bug. Can't remember now if the first one I got was a new Original DeLuxe as a 1983 Christmas gift from a YL or the old black-japanned pinstripe original a buddy sold me for $35 around the same time. All I remember is sitting there practicing with it.

Adjustment is much more important than a lot of folks realize. It goes beyond the simple screw contacts to spring tension, pivot tension and so on. Getting the key set up properly before trying to send gives you the best chance at sending clean code. Of course, when you're new to using a bug it seems like the thing is destined to set the land speed record as soon as you touch it.

You are not trying to sound like an electric keyer as your sending should have some swing that will eventually be identifiable as your fist (it will even annoy some hams that only like machine made code). 

I see you've met them too, Ed. Wink

The trick is to get your reading skill down for higher speeds as people assume you are capable of receiving real fast when they hear your bug.

Isn't that the truth. Seems a number of folks have mentioned that. Can't begin to recall how many times I got in over my head using a bug. You really pick up the 'CQ de <callsign> pretty fast compared to actual receive speed.

I dunno, Rene - it's like what you said about corntesters and their view of vintage gear. To each their own.

There was a group of us PissWeak'rs active on CW around Central VT in the late 80s/early 90s. Sometimes for code practice with newbs, we'd use the local .625 repeater to check what was sent against what was received. I recall some of the Old Guard (you probably know them) coming on to inform us that the repeater was not meant to be used for such things. Nevermind that it was late on a Saturday or Sunday night and we were actually using it for amateur radio purposes instead of using the phone patch to relay a shopping list to the XYL...  I bet this is where the term 'old buzzard' came from, lurking in a tree waiting to POUNCE on a newb! Roll Eyes

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2007, 03:30:03 PM »

"Thou shal send no more thar 4 dits for an S" Grin Grin

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2007, 03:33:22 PM »

I never tried a bug.  I have used electronic keyer and paddles.  Still have them too but they've gathered dust.  It took me a while to get used to using that system but I eventually fell back to the straight key. I found I could send perfectly and consistently with my cheapass straight key, even upto speeds of 15wpm.  I like cruising along at about 10wpm.  Most contacts I get with CW are around 10wpm and it seems to be a comfortable speed for most including me.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
W4EWH

« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2007, 06:31:21 PM »

I guess Farnsworth is a good way to teach using a bug (or even sending Morse in general), but by the time it came into vogue (the early 90s), I'd already been sending CW for over a decade.  I got my Novice in Feb. 78, and took my test on Xmas Eve Day, 1977 (Fran Murrray, K9RFZ SK, gave me the test; I was 14 years old at the time).  [snip]

Ellen,

Same for me: I took the Novice in 1965, and I had a terrible time transitioning past the 10 wpm barrier. The examiner at my 13 wpm test, which I took in 1968 in Boston, called my name and said "You just made it", and I didn't get to 20 until 1993: I used a walkman tape player, and would record custom practice tapes with a computer program, concentrating on J's, 1's, and other characters I had trouble with.

I'm going to limber up my (left-handed) Original and start practicing again. Although the bug has less utility for International Morse, where all the dahs are the same length, it's still a joy to use.

73, Bill

W4EWH

« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2007, 06:55:06 PM »

I was never a big CW guy, but i occasionally would do some. I definitely prefer a bug or other types of sidewinder paddle key. I found that with a straight key, my right hand would cramp up badly. With a bug, the sideways action with my wrist wasn't painful, and I could just as easily use just my thumb and index finger. I could go at it a lot longer before my hand would fatigue.

[snip]
                                                  The Slab Bacon

Bacon,

The Western Union telegraphers used to refer to that condition as "Glass arm", and it ended many careers before the bug and the sideswiper were invented. We now know that it's actually Carpel Tunnel Syndrome, and it came to prominence in the early days of the PC revolution, when inexperienced typists endured repetitive-strain injuries due to poor ergonomics and other workplace shortcomings.

I think most hams who avoid CW do so because it's uncomfortable to send it using the common shack layouts, which don't leave room for good arm support and often have castoff furniture selected primarily because nobody cares if it shows a solder burn Wink.

Having a well though-out operating position, with elbow support, a comfortable writing surface, and a good chair, will also help to make CW a much more pleasant experience.

FWIW. YMMV.

73, Bill

AF9J
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2007, 07:03:00 PM »

Ellen,

Same for me: I took the Novice in 1965, and I had a terrible time transitioning past the 10 wpm barrier. The examiner at my 13 wpm test, which I took in 1968 in Boston, called my name and said "You just made it", and I didn't get to 20 until 1993: I used a walkman tape player, and would record custom practice tapes with a computer program, concentrating on J's, 1's, and other characters I had trouble with.

I'm going to limber up my (left-handed) Original and start practicing again. Although the bug has less utility for International Morse, where all the dahs are the same length, it's still a joy to use.

73, Bill

Cool Bill,

A leftie bug?  I've heard of those. They're pretty rare!  Yep bugs are a blast.  I still miss the Lightning bug I sold foolishly last year.  I had that thing set up killer.  I bought it new in 1982 from AES (I originally ordered a Champion Bug, but they had none in stock, so they sent me a leftover Lightning Bug [Vibroplex quit making them in 1980] instead).  Within weeks of getting rid of it, I regreted doing so.  So, I won a Vibroplex Champion Bug for chump change on eBay (it didn't have a stock finish on the base [which kept the collectors away]). 

Setting up a bug is sort of an evolution.  You can usually get them set up to 90% satisfaction within about 15 minutes or so.  The remaining 10% just comes from making little adjustment tweaks over time. Spring tension is important, but all too often, people ignore contact spacing for the dits and the dahs. If the spacing isn't right for the dah side of things, the feel, when you swing the lever back and forth, won't be right. Too little spacing on the dit contact, and you won't get enough bounce (dits). Too much spacing on the dit contact, and you won't key the contact hard enough for decent waveform on the dits.  My Champion Bug is going nowhere.  It's here to stay.  I use it mainly with my TS-820.  The only other bug I might consider, would be the Viz-Key vertical bug, to open up some space on my operating table, since it's even more compact than my Champion Bug:

http://vizkey.com/order.html#vertical

I just wish it wasn't so expensive ($210).

Ellen - AF9J
W1UJR
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2007, 07:27:08 PM »

Ellen, re: the "Viz Key".

I love vertical bugs, they remind me of a small clock or metronome, which makes sense as CW is musical in nature. While the Viz Key looks cool, imagine how it would look in black crackle paint with chrome parts, most buzzardly.

By the way, that $210 is a fraction of what the Vibroplex "Upright" or "Wire Chief's Special" goes for. Built for but 2 years, I've only seen one in real life, at the AWA Museum in Bloomfield, NY. It's one of those "if I win the Lottery" type of acquisitions.
Imagine that key, mounted on a nice base of green marble, om, om, good!

Vibroplex "Upright" or "Wire Chief" model
AF9J
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2007, 07:32:41 PM »

Those are bigtime rare Bruce.  The last one I knew of that was for sale went for 5 or $10,000.  They sure are cool.  Here's the model I have (the photo is not of mine):

http://www.la.ca.us/frandy/gc.jpg

Ellen - AF9J
K1MVP
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2007, 08:15:32 PM »

Always liked the mechanical look and feel of an old bug. Can't remember now if the first one I got was a new .

I dunno, Rene - it's like what you said about corntesters and their view of vintage gear. To each their own.

There was a group of us PissWeak'rs active on CW around Central VT in the late 80s/early 90s. Sometimes for code practice with newbs, we'd use the local .625 repeater to check what was sent against what was received. I recall some of the Old Guard (you probably know them) coming on to inform us that the repeater was not meant to be used for such things. Nevermind that it was late on a Saturday or Sunday night and we were actually using it for amateur radio purposes instead of using the phone patch to relay a shopping list to the XYL...  I bet this is where the term 'old buzzard' came from, lurking in a tree waiting to POUNCE on a newb! Roll Eyes

As I mentioned before I once knew a guy who could make a straight key sound like a bug,--he was that
fast, and good.

I think to really feel at home with a bug, one should "master" a straight key at a minimum of 13 wpm, IMO.

Its like learning anything,--one has to "walk", before one can "run".

As far as using a repeater for cw practice,--that MUST have been "painful",--I still believe that one
of the biggest mistakes was the elimination of the old novice ticket, where a guy could get lots
of "on the air" cw practice with other novices on HF, and have "fun" to boot.(just my old fashion
opinion).
                                                     73, K1MVP
W1UJR
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2007, 08:52:11 PM »

Yep, a very good and straightforward bug, including the gray base.
I picked one like that 2 HossTraders ago, mine is the "Original" model and your looks to be the "Champion". I guess the seller had pity on me, or was it the rain, in either case walked with with it, still in the original box, for $45.
It is connected to the 30K-1, and although not black crackle, still looks most attractive.

Did you know of, or have you seen, the "Sienna brown" bases made by Vibroplex back in the late 1970s? Looks very dated, not classic good looks like the grays or blacks.
See -> http://www.la.ca.us/frandy/brnl.jpg

On the other extreme, I think one of the prettiest of Vibroplex keys, outside the 100th Anniversary edition, is the "Zephyr" in black crackle base. Aside from the old time looks, it has a circuit closer, useful for tuning and spotting old rigs.
See --> http://www.la.ca.us/frandy/bz.jpg

By the way, I picked up Tom W1TP's great book on keys a few weeks back, well worth it for the read, see www.w1tp.com.

72 ES BTU
W4EWH

« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2007, 11:58:44 PM »

Cool Bill,

A leftie bug?  I've heard of those. They're pretty rare!  [snip]

Vibroplex stopped making them maybe Fifteen years ago, maybe more: I talked to a woman at the company, and she said they'd stopped because the left-handed jig had worn out and there wasn't enough demand to get another one custom made. Long story short, it was one of those "someday" things I was going to do, but I bit the bullet and paid for one that was "MIB" as soon as they stopped making 'em.

I just checked the Vibroplex web site, and they're making the left-handed versions once more, so if you're a Southpaw I'd advise picking one up before they change their minds again.  Roll Eyes

... The only other bug I might consider, would be the Viz-Key vertical bug, to open up some space on my operating table, since it's even more compact than my Champion Bug:

http://vizkey.com/order.html#vertical

I just wish it wasn't so expensive ($210).

That vertical design puzzles me a lot: with the pivot point at the bottom and the weight at the top, it seems to me it would "topple" from side to side, which would affect the operation in weird ways.

You can search ePay and other sites for the old wire-chief Vibroplex, and some competitors, but they're going to be a lot more than a regular design and I'm too cheap to spring (pun intended) for one.

I guess I'm turning into an old-buzzard Yankee, but I'd just as soon use a keyer and switch it to 'bug' mode if space was at a premium: it's much easier to get a small set of paddles than a vertical bug, and I wouldn't want to be worrying about the kids tipping it over.

YMMV.

73, Bill

AF9J
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2007, 06:51:50 AM »

Good Morning People,

Bruce - yep I've seen photos of the brown base bugs.  They may look dated, but they still look cool in my opinion.  And yes indeed, I di have a Champion model.  When I foolishly sold off my Lightning Bug, and decided to get a replacement, the Champion was put at the top of my list, due to its more compact, tidier look. So, when I found one on eBay last year, that was going cheap (due to its base being refinished in light gray), I bid on it, and won.  Zephyr's are hard to find, but it's narrow width base, would be nice on my crowded table.  The only thing I don't like about it, is the shorting lever, which detracts from the basic good looks a Vibroplex Bug has.  The shorting lever may be convenient, but considering that all you have to do, is press on the dah contact, it's a convenience I can live without.

Bill - it's nice to know that Vibroplex is started making leftie bugs again (although as a rightie, the right hand versions are fine for me).  The vertical bugs are bit trickier to set up than horizontal ones.  The balance is also much more critical, so they swing back and forth properly.  A vertical bug would be nice, but like you, I typically use a keyer with the modern rig.  Bugs are cool, but it gets to be a pain, constantly moving the counterweight to match the speed of a station calling CQ.  So, I use a single lever Bencher paddle (like I've said before, years of bug use has made it a hassle for me to use the more common 2 lever paddles) with a keyer, due to the ease of changing sending speed, that a keyer gives me.  Also, I avoid a problem that you can  sometimes have with a bug - the bug walking walking across your operating surface, due to the need to be assertive with swinging the lever, to ensure the pendulum has enough energy to swing decently.

Ellen - AF9J
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015