The AM Forum
May 05, 2024, 12:54:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Official Old Buzzard?????  (Read 21096 times)
W1RC
Contributing

« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2007, 09:36:27 AM »

I'd say to be an old buzzard you have to be . . . .old.

I would say it has something to do with the ability to spin a good rant

Well, I just don't know.............

Timtron can spin rants with the best of 'em and make very lengthy transmissions as we all know well.  He's not an old buzzard (yet) but he can sure emulate one when he gets into the "Hiram" mode.....

Old Buzzardhood is a culture unto itself and it would seem to me that the characteristics of the curmudgeonly type are part of it.

I don't think a given state of elderliness, such as retirement age or reaching 70 is a valid prerequesite.  I would think that at a minimum QCWA eligibility requirements should apply.  However I would not think that anyone in their early forties should be eligible, particularly if they think by merely proclaiming it so makes it de facto.  Anyone attempting to do so is only a pretender to the title and will probably never actually make it.

Indeed it should be incumbent upon one's peers to bestow the title, never the individual.

MisterMike, W1RC
Not an Old Buzzard yet!

"It is a good thing we don't get the government we pay for."  Will Rogers.
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2007, 10:28:22 AM »

One rule of getting older to always remember is one of the many parables of "Murphy's law": (and one of my favorites)
 "Age and treachery will always beat youth and skill!!" Grin Grin

HA! YES! I love that one, Frank.  Grin

IIRC, the real term was 'Old Timer/OT' and had less to do with age than actual time licensed. Jamie and Derb would be a good examples of this, younger than me but licensed longer due to an earlier start. They have a lot of experience and experiences to put them in the category of Radio OT, regardless of age. 'Old Buzzard' was used to describe people who droned on endlessly about such things as liver spots, getting new dentures, and the wonders of Mable's apple PIE. B-R-R-R-R-R!!

I know a number of guys older than me who are newly licensed, or were licensed in the last decade or so. They always make a point to tell folks there are not OTs. I gave a number of Novice tests back in the 80s, including one to a guy older than my dad, another to a fellow who grew up in the same town with my mom. Lent him my original CW key and had a helluva time getting it back from him. He saw me as an OT even back then (I assured him otherwise), and felt honored to have my old key. Ended up giving him a nice J-38 to get the POS Shadio Rack key back. The chunk of truck leaf spring it's lashed to probably has more scrap value, but it's the key I learned CW with.

Indeed it should be incumbent upon one's peers to bestow the title, never the individual

Good point. Not unlike promoting oneself as an 'expert'.

The QCWA is likely the best guide. Unable to simply buy your way in, you clearly need to put in your time to call yourself a member. Anyone can join the Amateur Radio Retail Lobby - in fact, the newer and less experienced, the better.

Interesting post, MrMike. Funny how so many of us have made jokes about the old buzzard transmissions, attitudes etc over the last few decades, doing our best to avoid such titles. Now newbs want to associate themselves with such things?  No more CW, now this? Good God, they're destroying Ham Radio!! What WILL we DOOOoooooo? 

Yes, at least 'JN can claim to still be a JN at an advanced age, and be telling the truth! The rest of us will have to be verrrry convincing.... Wink

*queues up REM/'It's the End of the World as we Know it'

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
W1RC
Contributing

« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2007, 12:51:25 PM »

IIRC, the real term was 'Old Timer/OT' and had less to do with age than actual time licensed. Jamie and Derb would be a good examples of this, younger than me but licensed longer due to an earlier start. They have a lot of experience and experiences to put them in the category of Radio OT, regardless of age.

I know a number of guys older than me who are newly licensed, or were licensed in the last decade or so. They always make a point to tell folks there are not OTs.

Good post, Todd.  Yes, time is always relative.  To a "newly-minted ham" someone who has been licensed for 11 years is an "Old Timer" but to someone who has been around for over 40 years that same person is a "Newbie".

However the reality is still attitude.  As my dad used to say: "If someone's a schmuck, they'll probably always be a schmuck.  You cannot make yourself into something you are not.   Some people need to understand that but due to their high density factor they may never get it.  Intelligent people can usually spot a phony.  It make take time but usually they'll see it sooner or later. 

President Harry S Truman said this when he fired General MacArthur.  There was an uproar but as he predicted, people found out what the General was really like and they understood why Truman fired him.

MisterMike.

"It is a good thing we don't get the government we pay for."  Will Rogers.
Ed W1XAW
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2007, 01:00:23 PM »

KA1KAQ wrote: The QCWA is likely the best guide. Unable to simply buy your way in, you clearly need to put in your time to call yourself a member.

I don't know Todd,  that'd mean I was eligible and I don't know if I'd considerer any club that'd have me as a member! 73 de Ed, 43 yrs young
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2007, 01:55:39 PM »

Point taken, Ed! I'm 46 and approaching the '25 yrs licensed' mark myself in the coming months. I see it more as a measure of commitment and dedication to the art of amateur radio than some fictitious title or badge of honor to be flaunted. It's true that some newbies will always try to talk the talk when they can't walk the walk, it's up to us to help them out. I still find it amusing that anyone who's been around ham radio in general and AM in particular for any length of time would want to claim such a title. This is probably why some of the OTs here have tried to better explain the true meaning.

Perhaps it's due to the more affectionate way the term is used now, as opposed to the way we used it 20 years ago? Not unlike 'OM' and such.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
Herb K2VH

Pennsylvanian shaking hands with Yankee

« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2007, 04:06:27 PM »

I am amazed that nobody has mentioned "Old Buzzard Rich"--who actually changed his call to fit the handle--from WA2TUM to W2OBR (Old Buzzard Rich, of course).

Not sure about minimum age for being an old buzzard.  When I was 18, and first operating my homebrew quad of 100THs on 40 Meter AM, people used to guess my age as mid-fifties.  They said I sounded like 55.  Maybe it's all those red-glowing 100THs that did it.  Following the logic of sounding 55 at 18, I must sound today like my microphone: 104.

Maybe we're all old buzzards, and that's why Hams address one another as "OM."

From Mike, W1RC:
How about this:
cur·mud·geon
Pronunciation: (")k&r-'m&-j&n
Function: noun
Etymology: origin unknown
1 : a crusty, ill-tempered, and usually old man..........

Mike:  A very well-known and self-proclaimed curmudgeon is on 60 MINUTES:  Andy Rooney.

73 to buzzards and curmudgeons everywhere,

vH

K2VHerb
First licensed in 1954 as KN2JVM  
On AM since 1955;on SSB since 1963

"Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar."
--Edward R. Murrow
K1MVP
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2007, 05:18:23 PM »

"Old Buzzard", could mean a lot of things, depending on the time/ or circumstance.

It could be used as a term of "respect", respect for one`s knowledge and experience, which
is not neccessarily the case, if an "OT' has not "grown" in both knowledge,experience,etc, and
has just been an Aplliiance Operator for 50 years or more,and never built or troubleshot anything.

It also could mean a "grumpy" old guy who is always complaining about his "aches and pains".
Reminds me of when I was in the service,--we had some "lifers" who used to brag about how
many years they had in the service,(30,35 or even 40) years.

Some of us with less time used to say to these lifers,--"yea 30, years in grade with 5 yrs equivalent
experience",  Man,-- that would really get em going.

73`s, K1MVP

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2007, 05:52:46 PM »

Put the definitions below together and make your own meaning.

Buzzard:
-Noun
1.   any of several broad-winged, soaring hawks of the genus Buteo and allied genera, esp. B. buteo, of Europe.
2.   any of several New World vultures of the family Cathartidae, esp. the turkey vulture.
3.   Slang. a contemptible or cantankerous person
–Adjective
4.   Obsolete. senseless; stupid.

Old:
-Adjective (I took the first 12)

1.   far advanced in the years of one's or its life
2.   of or pertaining to the latter part of the life or term of existence of a person or thing
3.   as if or appearing to be far advanced in years
4.   having lived or existed for a specified time
5.   having lived or existed as specified with relation to younger or newer persons or things
6.   having been aged for a specified time
7.   having been aged for a comparatively long time
8.   long known or in use
9.   overfamiliar to the point of tedium
10.   belonging to the past
11.   having been in existence since the distant past
12.   no longer in general use

Buzzards in a tree; they might be old:

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Glenn NY4NC
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2007, 06:15:43 PM »

......."Dag nabbit!!!!"

and "By gum!"...

Sorry, I'm on a roll..

The Slab Bacon

« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2007, 08:11:55 AM »

"Old Buzzard" Ah yes, another one of those bass ackward and unusual
"terms of endearment"...............................

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2007, 02:11:11 PM »

I have got into the habit of referring to someone who is getting along in years as being "old buzzardly", with no offence intended, but sometimes people who are not familiar with our use of the term in the radio community may take it the wrong way.

The other day my daughter and I were  looking at some recent photographs of family members, and I saw a particular photo of one of her uncles (my wife's youngest brother whom I first met when he was 13 years old).  His greying facial hair, the way the light was shining on him, plus his now ample midsection made him look decidedly older than I am used to seeing.  I made a remark that he was getting to look like an old buzzard in that photo.  She responded by asking me why I would make such a rude remark about a family member.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2007, 03:26:01 PM »

Don,
      Like I said before, terms and names of affection can definately become a bit bass ackwards. Some years ago, my best friend used to date one of the prettiest girls that I have ever known. Even now in "middle age" she is still absolutely gorgeous. He used to call her
"shztstain". I also started calling her that. They are no longer together but we all are still friends, and I still call her that. It is still good for a good giggle followed by hugs and kisses.

Like I said before terms of endearment meet the same criterion as beauty, music and art------- "in the eye of the beholder"!!

The Slab Bacon

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2007, 06:11:58 PM »

Some years ago, my best friend used to date one of the prettiest girls that I have ever known. Even now in "middle age" she is still absolutely gorgeous. He used to call her
"shztstain". I also started calling her that. They are no longer together but we all are still friends, and I still call her that. It is still good for a good giggle followed by hugs and kisses.

Like I said before terms of endearment meet the same criterion as beauty, music and art------- "in the eye of the beholder"!! 

Reminds me of the pet name the President has for his chief political advisor: "Turdblossom".  Reportedy he has called him by that name since long before they came to Washington.

Disclaimer:  Nothing "political" or anything else beyond face value intended by this remark, nor is it to be taken as an invitation to start any kind of political discussion.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015