The AM Forum
May 14, 2024, 03:44:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HPSDR Alive  (Read 6912 times)
WA1GFZ

« on: June 21, 2007, 08:27:38 PM »

HPSDR up and running with flex software and homebrew interface.
KF1Z

Are FETs supposed to glow like that?

« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2007, 09:48:28 PM »

Cool,
Up and running meaning receive? transmit?

WA1GFZ

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2007, 10:02:38 PM »

only RX so far.I don't have TX hardware built yet. fc
WA1GFZ

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2007, 08:48:38 PM »

Well, I'm less than impressed with Flex software on AM.
I think  I2PHD software sounds a lot better.
KF1Z

Are FETs supposed to glow like that?

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2007, 10:19:40 PM »

Doesn't seem too suprising.....

They just (flex) barely mention that it'll even DO AM...

As with most new technology.... uses an AM mode, no matter how crappy, as a way to expand the capabilities list, to make it look more impressive.

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2007, 10:44:33 PM »

How does software sound better?

All the SDR-1000's I've heard on the air sound great when transmitting on AM and my receive quality on AM, when using the Firebox external sound card and the SDR-1000, was tremendous. Using the PC sound card was like listening to scratching fingernails on a blackboard.

And, I thought I read somewhere on the Flex reflector, or maybe it was at Dayton when I talked with one of the marketing guys, that there some tweaks needed in the Flex software to make the HPSDR's boards really sing to their full potential.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2007, 10:57:27 PM »

Bill, W3DUQ has been using a Flex on AM for well over a year and it sounds excellent (as good or better than any of his other rigs). Your complaints seem unfounded.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2007, 11:11:28 PM »

This just came off the Flex reflector:
"It is always a VERY good idea to read the log entries for the SVN
version before downloading to see if there are any caveats.  The log
entry for SVN 1292 indicates that J/O support is not complete."

J/O - Janus/Ozy

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
WA1GFZ

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2007, 08:36:19 AM »

First of all it is a resource pig
It sounds muddy
Lots of clicks in the AGC response.

Yes Steve they do sound very good on AM as I have heard.
The sync detector has a wide capture range and does not sound as clean as the I2PHD software with a tight capture range.

I know J/O interface isn't complete but man I can't see needing a 3 gig machine to do simple demodulation. my 1 gig 500m of ram machine is running at 80% at 96k sample mode. It won't even function at 192K

I have a stock RA6830 parked on the same frequency as the SDR to compare performance and I have not noticed any real performance difference except the SDR requires a lot more electrical power to operate and get the fancy display.

SSB does work well.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2007, 12:55:48 PM »

Well dropped back to 48K last night and AM sounds good. I spotted some software bugs that makes me think this software isn't as mature as the seller would promote. Must be nice to sell a product and get your customers to do all the performance testing. Then come out with a big bucks radio no better.

Imagine a new car you get to repair as you own it.......what a concept.
Mike/W8BAC
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2007, 01:45:30 PM »

Come on Frank. The Power SDR software is free and open source. You are dealing with an unfinished subset.

Flex is building Hobby radios and not professional grade. How much did that RA 6830 cost retail?

Let the market be the judge. If the Flex-5000 isn't worth the money the Ham Radio network will run them out of town on a rail.

I have owned an SDR-1000 for 2 years. I just picked up a second used. Personally I love the receiver. I don't have your critical standards maybe but I find little I don't like.

The user group that writes, tests and gives they're work away do so for the fun of it. That work combined with Flex Radio's own efforts have literally changed the face of hobby radio and the way we use it. It doesn't do any good to run them down Frank.

The fancy display is a processor hog but it has an off button. A 3 gig machine is a suggestion and not a starting point. Many users are happy with much slower machines.

Good luck with your project

Mike
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2007, 01:51:06 PM »

Must be nice to sell a product and get your customers to do all the performance testing. Then come out with a big bucks radio no better.

Imagine a new car you get to repair as you own it.......what a concept.

LOL. Said by the man running Microsoft Windows operating systems. You've been doing this for decades. Wake up already!
WA1GFZ

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2007, 02:04:32 PM »

Mike I suffer form receiver performance disease so a bit crazy.
The Racal man told me near the end of the 6830 production run in '99 we all paid about $15K per copy but the users needed a good radio.

Steve I forgot must have been conditioned by Gates. But I am awake now.
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2007, 02:14:55 PM »

The comparison of cars and software, although mostly bogus, can be entertaining. Arguing in favor of software claims for huge increases in performance at decreasing (generally) cost makes cars look bad. But, if you consider the reliability and the "user as a beta tester" syndrome you mentioned previously, software looks bad.

Anyway, let's hope we see continued improvements in all areas of SDR.

WA1GFZ

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2007, 02:36:11 PM »

Steve, SDR is the future and why I have a breadboard up and running. The thing that makes me crazy is my first DSP EVM board did a fine job with a tiny bit of code Pete SOV handed me which I hacked into working. The filter performance is yet to be matched with any software I seen to date.  It wasn't easy to use but it kicked butt with the ft1000 I/Q converter. Then the software guys made the sound card work well but now it takes a meg or so of code with many megs of bill's bloat wear. This forces the use of a hot rod computer to make up for bloatwear.
Still I know worse case I will end up with a cool converter hanging off an IF but we will see. The Flex is a stepping stone and Hams will have a hand in getting it right while Flex works their way into the mil market where they can make some real cash.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015