The AM Forum
April 26, 2024, 01:03:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: @#$% Raccoons!  (Read 46781 times)
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #50 on: June 20, 2007, 12:26:35 PM »

" toss him into the pot of "sauce" "         Gack , Just like that Huh?   No bread crumbs?? no choped up beef??   If yer gunna toss him into a pot, mmake him a stew, not a sauce........

1 woodchuck
3 medium carrots
3 potatoes
1/4 cup of butter or margarine
1 onion, diced
2 tablespoons of flour piecrust dough

Quarter the woodchuck and place the pieces in a large pot with enough cold water to cover the meat. Boil it for 10 minutes, then discard the water, refill the pan, and bring the liquid to a boil again. Lower the heat and let the contents simmer for about 1 to 1-1/2 hours. Add the carrots and potatoes and continue cooking the stew for about another 30 minutes . . . until the meat is tender and separates easily from the bone. By this time, you should be able to pierce the vegetables readily with a fork.

Watin fer Chuck....

* 085-080-01-castro.jpg (16.85 KB, 225x310 - viewed 491 times.)

What? Me worry?
WA1GFZ

« Reply #51 on: June 20, 2007, 12:27:22 PM »

I bought this cool tourch with push button start burning map gas, it works quite well on flying bugs.

The nice thing about a contractor long handle shovel is you can fling a dead critter way out into the woods. He was hanging off the edges but got plenty of thrust behind him. We had just finished eating meatloaf so had my fill of meat.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #52 on: June 20, 2007, 12:31:04 PM »

I just set that one home...I have one more to go.
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #53 on: June 20, 2007, 12:56:22 PM »

Woodchuck Meatloaf,  Hmmmm...................................

Now, that might have some possibilities

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« Reply #54 on: June 20, 2007, 06:09:50 PM »

You can make meatloaf out of anything... kinda scary when you think about it.

How does woodchuck taste?  The recipe calls for dumping water after boiling.  I guess it might be kinda gamy otherwise. 
Rabbit is quite good, boiled with onions, carrots and taters. (though taters go with everything I think.)

Squirrel is said to be tasty too, pan fried like chicken.
considering how many there are around here, I may have to try it.

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
Happiness is Hot Tubes, Cold 807's, and warm room filling AM Sound.
 "I've spent three quarters of my life trying to figure out how to do a $50 job for $.50, the rest I spent trying to come up with the $0.50" - D. Gingery
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #55 on: June 20, 2007, 07:25:10 PM »

For the gumbas................

Woodchuck Patties in Tomato Sauce

1 woodchuck
1 cup bread crumbs
1/4 cup ground onion
1 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
2 eggs
3 tbsp. fat
1 cup catsup
1/4 tsp. Worcestershire sauce

Clean woodchuck; remove meat from bones and grind. Add 1/2 cup crumbs, onion, salt, pepper, 1 beaten egg, and 1 tbsp. melted fat. Mix thoroughly. Shape into patties and dip into 1 beaten egg, then into 1/2 cup crumbs. Fry until brown in 2 tbsp hot fat. Add catsup and Worcestershire sauce and bake in a slow oven (325 degrees F.) for 1 hour. Makes 8-9 patties.

What? Me worry?
W1ATR
Resident HVAC junkie

« Reply #56 on: June 21, 2007, 01:43:48 AM »

I got a question.

Not for nothing, cuz I would like to keep the friends I have, BUT; Whats up with this eating everything that comes into your yard. I not sure I would want to eat it after I got done bashing it's skull in with a shovel.

You guys got supermarkets where you come from, right. (They're big buildings with food in them thats already dead. Saves you from having to pound on it first.)

Just kidding

How about a compound roast. That would be a woodchuck stuffed inside a rabbit stuffed inside a raccoon. I think I'd be too tired to eat after chasing all this crap around the yard.

Don't start nuthin, there won't be nuthin.

Jared W1ATR

Click for radio pix
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #57 on: June 21, 2007, 01:55:46 AM »

" BTW, if you eat something that's rabid, do you get sick too? "
http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvrd/rabies/Ques&Ans/q&a.htm#How%20do%20people%20get%20rabies
Human Rabies
1. Q: How do people get rabies?

A: People usually get get rabies from the bite of a rabid animal. It is also possible, but quite rare, that people may get rabies if infectious material from a rabid animal, such as saliva, gets directly into their eyes, nose, mouth, or a wound.

2. Q: Can I get rabies in any way other than an animal bite?

A: Non-bite exposures to rabies are very rare. Scratches, abrasions, open wounds, or mucous membranes contaminated with saliva or other potentially infectious material (such as brain tissue) from a rabid animal constitute non-bite exposures. Occasionally reports of non-bite exposure are such that postexposure prophylaxis is given.

Inhalation of aerosolized rabies virus is also a potential non-bite route of exposure, but other than laboratory workers, most people are unlikely to encounter an aerosol of rabies virus.

Other contact, such as petting a rabid animal or contact with the blood, urine or feces (e.g., guano) of a rabid animal, does not constitute an exposure and is not an indication for prophylaxis

3. Q: What is the risk of rabies from squirrels, mice, rats, and other rodents?

A: Small rodents (such as squirrels, rats, mice, hamsters, guinea pigs, gerbils, and chipmunks, ) and lagomorphs (such as rabbits and hares) are almost never found to be infected with rabies and have not been known to cause rabies among humans in the United States. Bites by these animals are usually not considered a risk of rabies unless the animal was sick or behaving in any unusual manner and rabies is widespread in your area. However, from 1985 through 1994, woodchucks accounted for 86% of the 368 cases of rabies among rodents reported to CDC.  Woodchucks or groundhogs (Marmota monax) are the only rodents that may be frequently submitted to state health department because of a suspicion of rabies. In all cases involving rodents, the state or local health department should be consulted before a decision is made to initiate postexposure prophylaxis (PEP).

* MY Elmer.jpg (3.78 KB, 116x103 - viewed 408 times.)

What? Me worry?
W1ATR
Resident HVAC junkie

« Reply #58 on: June 21, 2007, 07:37:34 AM »

Inhalation of aerosolized rabies virus is also a potential non-bite route of exposure.

So hittin'em with an MP5 at 6 feet isn't suggested?

How much woodchuck could a woodchipper chip if a woodchipper did chip woodchuck?

Jared W1ATR

Click for radio pix
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #59 on: June 21, 2007, 08:00:46 AM »

Squirrel is said to be tasty too, pan fried like chicken.
considering how many there are around here, I may have to try it.

Fried squirrel is very tasty, although a bit boney. You have to eat a lot of thise skinny little critters to get a belly full.

Pan fried rabbit and squirrel are both pretty good. Just dip in eggwash, dredge in flour season to taste and pan fry until golden brown.

The Slab Bacon

WA1GFZ

« Reply #60 on: June 21, 2007, 08:26:52 AM »

Myself I prefer cows, pigs and chickens when it comes to meak.

I remember my Dad telling me a story about his great uncle in Italy who was a professional hunter. after a long day in the woods he stops by the local bar for a drink. Some idiot starts giving him some crap so he pulls out his gun and blows him away. My Dad said his Uncle Tony gets a letter from him needing money to buy the judge. He goes to my G.F. who writes a check and drops it in the mail.
WU2D
Contributing

CW is just a narrower version of AM

« Reply #61 on: June 21, 2007, 08:35:09 AM »

Good one yesterday in the news here in NH.

Family brings cute little lost baby racoon back to house and trys to bottle feed and nurture it. They invite all of their friends over to see the little cutie.

Little cutie dies. Rabies is diagnosed. Family and 28 of their best friends are all receiving a series of painful shots starting this week.

Mike WU2D

These are the good old days of AM
kf6pqt

« Reply #62 on: June 21, 2007, 10:49:13 AM »

I remember hearing as a kid you had to have shots "into your stomach."

True? As in through your abdominal wall literally into your stomach?

W6IEE, formerly KF6PQT
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #63 on: June 21, 2007, 10:53:44 AM »

I think I'd be too tired to eat after chasing all this crap around the yard.

What Chasing HuhHuh

Sit on the porch and let the .22cal chase'em !!
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #64 on: June 21, 2007, 11:50:36 AM »

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/rabies/DS00484/DSECTION=7

Treatment
If your doctor determines that you likely were exposed to rabies, treatment begins at once. The sooner you begin rabies treatment, the greater your chance of recovery.

If you live in the United States and receive treatment for rabies after an animal bite, treatment — called post-exposure prophylaxis — consists of one dose of rabies immune globulin and five doses of rabies vaccine over a 28-day period. Rabies immune globulin and the first dose of rabies vaccine are administered as soon as possible after you've been exposed and have reported the exposure to your doctor. You're given the immune globulin by injection around the site of the bite, and you receive injections of the vaccine into your upper arm muscle.

Immune globulins are disease-fighting proteins that provide you with temporary antibodies. The rabies vaccine helps your body start producing its own antibodies. Antibody production takes time, but the antibodies produced by your body provide longer lasting protection than do the ones contained in rabies immune globulin.

Although the vaccine isn't painful, you might have a mild physical reaction. Watch for reactions such as swelling or redness where the injection occurred. Headache, fever, nausea, muscle aches and dizziness are other possible side effects. Contact your doctor if side effects cause you discomfort.

What? Me worry?
W1ATR
Resident HVAC junkie

« Reply #65 on: June 21, 2007, 04:31:35 PM »

I think I'd be too tired to eat after chasing all this crap around the yard.

What Chasing HuhHuh

Sit on the porch and let the .22cal chase'em !!

Grin Well, that was my original suggestion all the way back at the beginning of this thread. I would personally prefer a .223 over a shovel any day, but it seems like the norm around here to bash everythings head in and then eat it. Although, I DO see the exercise value to running around the yard swinging a shovel, then possibly having to run away.

Jared W1ATR

Click for radio pix
WA1GFZ

« Reply #66 on: June 22, 2007, 08:26:25 AM »

.223 in my neighborhood could be heard at the police station.
#3 is keeping a very low profile. He may have moved
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #67 on: June 22, 2007, 10:48:21 AM »

.223 in my neighborhood could be heard at the police station.
#3 is keeping a very low profile. He may have moved

Yea but, a .22 short through a very dirty barreled bolt action rifle is about as loud as an air rifle!! And if you can still get them, .22 C.B. caps are quieter than an air rifle.

WA1GFZ

« Reply #68 on: June 22, 2007, 11:55:05 AM »

Then there is a hunk of pipe and spaced washers is an effective silencer.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #69 on: June 22, 2007, 01:36:21 PM »

Although the vaccine isn't painful, you might have a mild physical reaction. Watch for reactions such as swelling or redness where the injection occurred. Headache, fever, nausea, muscle aches and dizziness are other possible side effects. Contact your doctor if side effects cause you discomfort.

My son went through that procedure at age 7 after he was mauled by some dogs.  The shots weren't painful at all.  In fact on one trip for his shot he brought a little "girlfriend" along.  The two of them couldn't stop giggling long enough for the nurse to  get the needle into his arm.

When I was a child, the series of shots was reputed to be excruciatingly painful.  One shot per day for something like 14 days, all in the stomach area. I have heard that by the time the series was finished, the entire belly would be massively inflamed.

I'm glad that treatment has been improved in recent years.

If a cat or a dog can be vaccinated annually for rabies, I wonder why not humans as well.  I never heard of anyone getting a routine rabies vaccination.  For people living in rural areas, a preventive rabies vaccination would make just as much sense as a tetanus shot, especially for kids, who might not have a healthy fear of small mammals.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #70 on: June 22, 2007, 02:36:03 PM »

FYI

PRIMARY OR PREEXPOSURE VACCINATION

Preexposure vaccination should be offered to persons in high-risk groups, such as veterinarians, animal handlers, and certain laboratory workers. Preexposure vaccination also should be considered for other persons whose activities bring them into frequent contact with rabies virus or potentially rabid bats, raccoons, skunks, cats, dogs, or other species at risk for having rabies. In addition, international travelers might be candidates for preexposure vaccination if they are likely to come in contact with animals in areas where dog rabies is enzootic and immediate access to appropriate medical care, including biologics, might be limited. Routine preexposure prophylaxis for other situations might not be indicated (33,34).

Preexposure prophylaxis is administered for several reasons. First, although pre-exposure vaccination does not eliminate the need for additional therapy after a rabies exposure, it simplifies therapy by eliminating the need for RIG and decreasing the number of doses of vaccine needed -- a point of particular importance for persons at high risk for being exposed to rabies in areas where immunizing products might not be available or where they might be at high risk for adverse reactions. Second, pre- exposure prophylaxis might protect persons whose postexposure therapy is delayed. Finally, it might provide protection to persons at risk for inapparent exposures to rabies.

Intramuscular Primary Vaccination

Three 1.0-mL injections of HDCV, RVA, or PCEC should be administered intramuscularly (deltoid area) -- one injection per day on days 0, 7, and 21 or 28 (Table_2). In a study in the United States, greater than 1,000 persons received HDCV according to this regimen. Antibody was found in serum samples of all subjects when tested by the rapid fluorescent focus inhibition test (RFFIT). Studies with other products have produced comparable results (21,35-39).

Intradermal Primary Vaccination

A regimen of three 0.1-mL ID doses of HDCV, one each on days 0, 7, and 21 or 28, is also used for preexposure vaccination (Table_2) as an alternative to the 1.0-mL IM regimen for rabies preexposure prophylaxis with HDCV (8,21,22,24,35-37,40). A single dose of lyophilized HDCV (Imovax Rabies I.D.) is available prepackaged for reconstitution in the syringe just before administration. The syringe is designed to deliver 0.1 mL of HDCV reliably and has been approved by the FDA since 1986 (25). The 0.1-mL ID doses, administered in the area over the deltoid (lateral aspect of the upper arm) on days 0, 7, and 21 or 28, are used for primary preexposure vaccination. One 0.1-mL ID dose is used for routine preexposure booster vaccination (Table_2). The 1.0-mL vial is not approved for multidose ID use. RVA and PCEC are not approved for and should not be administered intradermally (26).

When chloroquine phosphate was used routinely for malaria prophylaxis, investigators discovered that the drug decreased the antibody response to concomitantly administered HDCV (41). Although interference with the immune response to rabies vaccine by other antimalarials structurally related to chloroquine (e.g., mefloquine) has not been evaluated, precautions for persons receiving these drugs should be followed. Accordingly, HDCV should not be administered intradermally to a person traveling to malaria-endemic countries while the person is receiving one of these antimalarials (42). The IM administration of three doses of 1.0 mL of vaccine for preexposure prophylaxis provides a sufficient margin of safety in this situation (42). For persons who will be receiving both rabies preexposure prophylaxis and antimalarial chemoprophylaxis in preparation for travel to a rabies-enzootic area, the ID regimen should be initiated at least 1 month before travel to allow for completion of the full three-dose vaccine series before antimalarial prophylaxis begins. If this schedule is not possible, the IM regimen should be used.

Preexposure Booster Doses of Vaccine

Persons who work with rabies virus in research laboratories or vaccine production facilities (continuous risk category (Table_3) {43}) are at the highest risk for inapparent exposures. Such persons should have a serum sample tested for rabies antibody every 6 months. Booster doses (IM or ID (Table_2)) of vaccine should be administered to maintain a serum titer corresponding to at least complete neutralization at a 1:5 serum dilution by the RFFIT. The frequent-risk category includes other laboratory workers (e.g., those performing rabies diagnostic testing), spelunkers, veterinarians and staff, and animal-control and wildlife officers in areas where animal rabies is enzootic. Persons in this group should have a serum sample tested for rabies antibody every 2 years; if the titer is less than complete neutralization at a 1:5 serum dilution by the RFFIT, the person also should receive a single booster dose of vaccine. Veterinarians, veterinary students, and animal-control and wildlife officers working in areas with low rabies rates (infrequent exposure group) and at-risk international travelers do not require routine preexposure booster doses of vaccine after completion of primary preexposure vaccination.

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/00056176.htm

What? Me worry?
NE4AM

« Reply #71 on: June 24, 2007, 11:31:41 PM »

Out in my area if'n you see a coon in the daytime, it is just cause to terminate the sucker on the spot.  They carry not only rabies, but also distemper and Parva virus.  If you have dogs, they can catch this stuff.  Really bad.

Had a neighbor who had a family of coons who set up residence in his attic.  They'd come out at night and scamper all over the roof.  Couldn't shoot 'em, didn't want a hole in his roof.  So, he opened a couple of cans of fly bait (borax in sugar syrup, I believe) and set them in his gutter.  Next morning, it was like a raccoon Jonestown on his roof.

73 - Dave
W1ATR
Resident HVAC junkie

« Reply #72 on: June 25, 2007, 04:31:16 PM »

This thread is way overdue to be jacked, so;

They called it the Jonestown Massacre, but it wasn't a massacre at all, it was a 900 person mass suicide.

I thought a massacre ment people were killed by other people, but the nutjobs at Jonestown killed themselves. Another fine media spin? Or can it actually BE called a massacre.

Any thoughts?

Just fishing. I figured we covered every single method of killing raccoons, both humane, and inhumane. I think all the raccoon recipes are covered too, lol

Jared W1ATR

Click for radio pix
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #73 on: June 25, 2007, 04:53:29 PM »

Who are "they"?
WA3VJB
« Reply #74 on: June 25, 2007, 05:13:17 PM »

The head of the cult had worked a mojo on his followers and led them to their deaths. That's why it could be called a massacre. Or Kool Aid.
That's right.
(that's right)
Loyalty Test
In anticipation of an assault, Jones had his followers practice revolutionary suicide, drinking from vats of flavored water which he announced was poisoned. When they survived the "poison" the residents realized it was another test of their loyalty and that they had passed.
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/jonestown/peopleevents/e_guyana.html
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015