The AM Forum
May 04, 2024, 03:45:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HEATH WARRIOR AMP...HELP...  (Read 5776 times)
ve6pg

« on: June 13, 2007, 12:18:37 AM »

..HI FROM TIM...RECENTLY GOT A WARRIOR...SAW ONE ON EBAY, AND IT IS DIFFERENT THAN MINE...MINE IS BLACK, WITH WHITE/BLACK CABINET. IT IS THE SAME BOX AS AN APACHE..OK, THE ONES I'VE SEEN, HAVE 2 TOGGLE SWITCHES ON THE FRONT. MINE HAS 3,,,POWER ON, HV, AND EXCITER...ON THE BACK THERE IS A 4 PIN CONNECTOR, WHICH LIKELY FER T/R SWITCHING....MY MANUAL DOESNT DEAL WITH ANY OF THESE DIFFERENCES..EXTRA SWITCH, AND CONNECTOR ON THE BACK....ANY IDEAS?..THIS ISNT SOMETHING THAT HAS BEEN ADDED, BUT WHAT THE BOX WAS INTENDED TO DO....BTW, THE 866s, ARE GONE, AND THE RIG HAS BEEN SOLID STATED....TIM....SK...

...Yes, my name is Tim Smith...sk..
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2007, 03:33:16 PM »

Post a jpeg??

Does not sound like a Warrior that I know of.
Black front panel??
Sounds like a repaint + mod to match something else.
The ones I know about all had the same paint pattern as do the Apache and all the other "indian" rigs out of Heath.

Some had the zinc die cast knobs and some had the chrome plated zinc die cast knobs.
What are the knobs??

Does it have 811s in it? How many? In a line or as a quad/square??

But, it's a very simple linear, so just trace the extra wires and see what they do??

_-_-WBear2GCR

PS. take off the caps lock when you type?? probably better in all lowercase then all uppercase, as on the internet UPPERCASE IS CONSIDERED TO BE SHOUTING!!  Cheesy

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
ve6pg

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2007, 11:09:13 AM »

..the caps come from many years on rtty, way ahead of the internet....ok, abt the amp...not a repaint...different knobs, and as i mentioned, black/dark gray/and cream colours...pix below...tim....sk...

* DSCF0245.JPG (381.79 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 427 times.)

* DSCF0243.JPG (169.83 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 436 times.)

WBear2GCR

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2007, 12:02:13 PM »

I have never seen a Warrior like that.

Doesn't mean it isn't one, but I have never seen that before.
To my eyes, the large pilot lights do not "look Heathkit".

The original Warrior was in the same cabinet as the Apache series,
but green.

I suspect, but am not sure, that this may be a homebrew "upgrade"
or custom clone of a Warrior. A shot of the chassis, or your looking at it
would probably tell that story.

Also is the front panel silk-screened?
The area around the outside of the left most knob looks wrong - it has squared off
areas to delineate the tuning, the numbers are not even and clean - Heath would
have used rounded areas, not square and the numbers - 10, 15, 20 would be aligned
properly.

The Logo under the Heath/Daystrom looks good until you get to the "-10" then it doesn't look right! The meter is Heath. The numbers around the rightmost knob also look a little off, especially the "10", looks like someone used a one and a zero, not a "10", the spacing is wrong. Etc...

Other than this, what's the question?

_-_-bear

Edit: looking at the second pic, if you remove the lower estuchion from the panel and there's green back there, that would tell the whole story imho. Other than that, I can't recall a grey front panel scheme that the amp would match??

ve6pg

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2007, 02:13:18 PM »

...black colour under the panel...all lettering is silk-screened...my question was, i guess..has anyone ever seen one like this...i know i havent!...craig, ve3cl thinks it may be a military version, and the guy i got it from doesnt know it's history either...sk...

* DSCF0246.JPG (188.94 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 403 times.)

WBear2GCR

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2007, 03:32:54 PM »

well, now I'm thinkin' factory prototype??
maybe they were testing out some new color schemes/layouts, and this one "escaped" out the "back door"??  Roll Eyes

Curious now to see if the under chassis and top layout is stock Warrior or not!

Surprised no one else has chimed in yet on this...

_-_-

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2007, 04:50:38 PM »

According to Heathkit sources, the HA-10 was designed to complement the already successful RX-1/TX-1 combo. It would have made no sense to color scheme it differently from these two products. The HA-10 was first manufactured in 1961 and last production was in 1965. The color "green" was the "trade-look" for all their ham products during this time frame. However it probably doesn't take rocket science for an owner to take an existing HA-10, in whatever condition, strip the paint off the cabinet and front panel, and then repaint and silk-screen new info on the front panel and/or make circuit enhancements.  Also, Heathkit had distribution and some manufacturing facilities located in England. Note, also that the HA-10 was designed to only run on 120VAC. If your amplifier is running on 220VAC, it may have come from England but I doubt it. They didn't make any TX-1'a in England. At this point, I think you're beating a dead horse. Take your existing circuit diagram, trace out the hardware changes, mark them up on the schematic and be done.

Note:
If you want to add confusion to the Heathkit world, you can remove the escutcheon plate  from the front panel of a TX-1, You'll find two additional holes there where you can add two additional controls. Strip the front panel paint off, silk-screen all your controls, and you'll have a unique TX-1. After you pass on, the next owner will go crazy trying to find the manual for this one.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2007, 09:52:30 AM »

Pete said:
Also, Heathkit had distribution and some manufacturing facilities located in England. Note, also that the HA-10 was designed to only run on 120VAC. If your amplifier is running on 220VAC, it may have come from England but I doubt it.

Pete, you forget, Tim is in Canada (eh!). Lots of stuff that comes from across the 'Pond' gets shunted through our neighbors to the north. From what I've seen, a majority of the KW Electronics rigs have been filtered down through Canada.

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
KL7OF

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2007, 11:05:58 AM »

I remember two things about the warrior I used to have...Those fil and HV lites were large and look just like the ones on the black amp and...........The power supply had a (physically) large swinging choke.....
ve6pg

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2007, 12:37:33 PM »

..as i mentioned, this one has been solid-stated, but not re-painted, etc...sk...

* DSCF0257.JPG (106.31 KB, 640x427 - viewed 379 times.)

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015