The AM Forum
April 27, 2024, 05:14:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need a shaft extender  (Read 6168 times)
WB3JOK

« on: June 06, 2007, 12:39:57 PM »

No, not that kind, I have lots of email already that tells me how to add three inches Grin

I have a Comet vacuum variable mounted to the front panel of my homebrew amp (pi-net loading cap). It has a 1/4" shaft but it's quite short, maybe 5/8" long, and since my rack panel is 1/8" thick there is not enough sticking out to put the knob on without some kind of extender.

I need a really short one (to add JUST enough length, say 1/2"), so that my pair of knobs for tune and load maintain the same distance from the panel. Where might I find such a piece, or do I need to have one turned from a piece of aluminum or brass rod?

thanks
Charles
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2007, 01:03:18 PM »

Ah, your in the grey zone. Almost too short to mount an extension without the coupler gettin' in the way.

Ace hardware may have what you need in nylon.  All kinds of spacers, standoffs, and stuff.  Or you could cut a piece of brass welding rod but then still need a coupler. Smaller dia. surgical tubing or similar good for coupler if torque demands aren't too high.

RICK  *W3RSW*
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2007, 04:00:41 PM »

They're here:
http://www.oselectronics.com/ose_p100.htm

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
WA1GFZ

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2007, 04:39:04 PM »

make an extender. Take a hunk of metal and drill a quarter inch hole through it. It needs to be about an inch thick.  From the side drill holes so you can tap a 6-32 set screw into each shaft.  I had the same problem in my solid state rig using a comet cap. Nice small unit though.
kf6pqt

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2007, 05:49:22 PM »

1/4" id fuel line and a coupla worm-gear clamps!

Wink

W6IEE, formerly KF6PQT
WB3JOK

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2007, 06:39:48 PM »

Yep, that's exactly what I need. Too bad it's Ocean State  Tongue
 I've tried twice in the past to get them to take my money, or even process an order, let alone return an email or  phone call, with no success. I concluded they were a "vaporware" company...
That was a few years ago - maybe they are actually interested in doing business now? Anyone have a good experience with them recently?

-Charles
k7yoo

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2007, 06:57:59 PM »

Rob one of the shaft extensions for BFO or Bandwidth selector out of an R-390(A) IF strip they are very low profile and the locking collar works well
Skip
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2007, 07:43:37 PM »

I won't do business with them anymore.  The same experiences I've had in the past with them are evident at present.  I lived 20 miles away from them at one time. I waited 2 weeks for them to send me some common items.  I decided to drive there to make a visit as I had never been there before. They had everything I wanted in stock at that time.  Why they couldn't send it in a timely manner, who knows.  My last order with them I cancelled after 2 weeks and told them they lost a customer. I don't think it bothers them so you're not alone.  My impression is it's a hobby business if there's such a thing.

As far as the coupler goes you should be able to fabricate something from a well stocked hardware store. My hardware store sells collars with set screws.  A couple of those put together with epoxy should do the job.

Yep, that's exactly what I need. Too bad it's Ocean State  Tongue
 I've tried twice in the past to get them to take my money, or even process an order, let alone return an email or  phone call, with no success. I concluded they were a "vaporware" company...
That was a few years ago - maybe they are actually interested in doing business now? Anyone have a good experience with them recently?

-Charles

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2007, 11:03:15 AM »

the other option, space permitting, is to stand the vacuum variable off the surface it is mounted to by enough distance to fit whatever extension you have/want to put on.

I vote for the plastic or rubber tubing and two clamps + one 1/4 rod.

Fast, easy. that and a bushing on the front panel to keep the new shaft square and solid. You can press fit a bronze 0.250" ID bushing for that, if you want.

_-_-bear

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
KC1XF
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2007, 11:14:50 AM »

Ocean State Electronics has alot of people hanging, I couldn't get thru on the phone so I went there. It is down in Southern RI, after beating on the door for about 20 minutes a girl answered and said the owner wasn't there. Also she informed me that they weren't taking any walk in customers.

Seemed very strange, a CASH paying Customer and they don't want to sell to a walk in Customer?

I posted this on the Internet, as some people were also upset with there orders. Google Ocean State Electronics.

Fred  KC1XF

W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2007, 03:22:38 PM »

Fred,
I did a google on them.  Complaints are rampant.  Definitely not a good business model. 

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015