The AM Forum
April 27, 2024, 12:42:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ATLAS: More Than Just A Strong Back  (Read 9198 times)
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« on: May 31, 2007, 11:21:06 AM »

A few months back I made a query to the 6 Landers on AMfone for help shipping an item from the Burbank area back to Vermont. I didn't post to the group what the item was because of fears that someone would send the guys in white to visit me with one of those funny jackets with no openings in the sleeves.   Roll Eyes

Jason KF6PQT responded via email and agreed to help me out - even after seeing what was in store for him. Comforting to know that there are other sic.....enlightened souls out there.

The task at hand was to disassemble and ship a rather large, bulky, heavy, and loooong stage/studio boom stand that would be used to safely support the beautiful RCA-77D mic given to me by WA2PJP as a wedding gift. Desk stands are nice and all that, but they do get knocked over, bumped, smacked, and so on. I figured if Joe was gracious enough to give me such a gift, the least I can do is keep it safe.

Jason did an excellent, really an incredible job of disassembling and packing this thing up. I received three packages: one $8 flat rate Priority box contained the 20+ lb counter weight sealed safely in a bag with expanding foam sprayed around it (smart idea!), another larger box containing the supports, wheels, and hardware, and a large carpet tube containing the boom sections. Everything was well-packed, bakelite knobs were removed, wrapped, and replaced with bolts, he did an absolutely perfect job that I can never fully thank him for.

Of course, only two of the three boxes arrived together, the boom tube being rerouted by mistake. Talk about heartburn. Fortunately it arrived the next day. It was reassembled and mostly cleaned up before NEAR-Fest, and had the mic hanging from it when Joe arrived to stay over for the 'fest. He was impressed, which meant a lot to me. It's not every day you find, much less are given such a wonderful microphone.

Total cost: $160.50 for the Atlas stand, $102 and change for shipping, including materials. For his time and effort, I have a nice Hallicrafters receiver that needs to get out the door to Jason soon, now that things have quieted down a bit. He didn't ask for compensation, I insisted from the start. This was no small task, and goes to show yet again that ham radio in general and the AM Community in general still retain the true spirit of amateur radio when it comes to helping others. Besides, Jason needs more stuff!  Grin

I did promise to post shots and info some time ago, but due to time issues and camera problems it had to wait. Thanks to MrMike for providing the photos from his visit last weekend.

* atlasboom1.jpg (78.13 KB, 768x1024 - viewed 506 times.)

* atlasboom2.jpg (72.34 KB, 768x1024 - viewed 545 times.)

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
WA1GFZ

« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2007, 11:51:35 AM »

Burbank post office....been there lunch time rush
kf6pqt

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2007, 11:52:24 AM »

Man, thats a BIG house you've got there to fit all of that stuff inside, and in one room! Looks great!

Again, no sweat on the packing, it was an interesting and informative little project, that expanding foam is fun stuff to play with! Wish I could have turned it around faster, but thanks for totally understanding the realities, and mishaps of life! ( week after I picked it up I twisted my ankle so bad my foot almost fell off...)

The box of tubes and the SX-40 more than exceed the effort I expended, so if there's something else out here (maybe just a BIT smaller!  Grin ) you'd like sent over, please let me know!

Thanks again,
Jason kf6pqt

W6IEE, formerly KF6PQT
kf6pqt

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2007, 11:53:30 AM »

Nahh, Staples UPS counter at 6:15 pm... no line!

W6IEE, formerly KF6PQT
W1UJR
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2007, 11:59:24 AM »

My pole is bigger than your pole!  Grin

Man, you're a brave man, I'd have that RCA safety wired to the ceiling, just in case.
They don't bounce well.
AF9J
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2007, 12:45:56 PM »

Way to go Jason. Smiley

That was a nice thing to.  Yep, I use the foamer here at work, when I ship stuff.  It makes a world of difference.  BTW Todd, rather than cannibalize the 6-pin Cinch Jones you sent me, I've decided to use it for the plug that will feed the muting line for my SX-96 (which is located on the 6-pin female Cinch-Jones on the Cheyenne, that's used to feed the Comanche).  It'll be perfect for that application.  Once again thanks for sending it to me.

Ellen - AF9J
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2007, 03:12:31 PM »

Man, thats a BIG house you've got there to fit all of that stuff inside, and in one room! Looks great!

Actually Jason, that's the living room. The Atlas ended up there with the 300G broadcast transmitter due to space limitations (and the fact that the XYL didn't think there needed to be a BC transmitter in the dining room). The operating radio room is out on the other end of the house. But yes - high ceilings and big rooms are great for fitting in large old gear...until you have to MOVE!

My pole is bigger than your pole!  Grin

Man, you're a brave man, I'd have that RCA safety wired to the ceiling, just in case.
They don't bounce well.

Huh....I didn't think you had a pole, more of a 'desk stand/hand mic' kinda guy? Wink

The stand is well-balanced and also has adjustable stops in the pivot to keep the boom from dropping below a certain height in either direction, so there's zero danger of the mic hitting the floor (or ceiling) that way. The base is quite stout and well balanced, too. It would take a hefty NFL lineman to tackle the thing to get it to fall over. It actually has a handle for pushing it around, something that wouldn't be possible if it wasn't stable.

The only issue to date is the reaction from folks seeing it for the first time. My 'crazy bastard' stock has risen considerably, particularly with the Realtor. Smiley

W1GFH
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2007, 03:28:28 PM »

Wow, that 77D looks great on the Atlas boom, and the effort in shipping it cross country was justified. The idea is to keep this stuff out of the trash bin and circulating among those who can appreciate it!
W1UJR
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2007, 03:30:43 PM »

The only issue to date is the reaction from folks seeing it for the first time. My 'crazy bastard' stock has risen considerably, particularly with the Realtor. Smiley

Actually Todd, those who have known you for any length of time saw that coming and have invested deeply in the "crazy bastard stock".
Single woman become "cat ladies" and collect cats, you collect old radios.
Of course now that you are no longer single, I suspect "cat hoarding" syndrome to dissipate.

Cheers,
Bruce
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2007, 07:34:59 PM »

I think everyone knows that according to Architectual Digest - "...no modern living room is complete without a Collins BC transmitter anchoring the decor..."

Just in case anyone was wondering...

_-_-bear

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2007, 09:42:51 AM »

Awesome, Todd!  A very beffitting display indeed  Grin

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
WA1GFZ

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2007, 10:14:01 AM »

now when he nicads out he can swing it over the bed
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2007, 01:15:20 PM »

nicads out

Is that a term the Tadio Tart should know?

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2007, 04:40:34 PM »

nicads out

Is that a term the Tadio Tart should know?

You're confusing 'nicad' with 'D Cell', Carl... Wink

Frank, I'm a very lucky guy to have a lovely XYL who appreciates, accepts, and even encourages my radio affliction. She hasn't minded my hauling home more stuff even to the extent of the RA-1000 and the latest, larger rig waiting in the wings. Putting a microphone over the bed might make her snap, though. We don't want that. 

Now, if I can just talk 'GFH out of that nifty RCA ON AIR sign, I'll be set....

W1GFH
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2007, 08:00:32 PM »

Nope. But if you are into buzzardly accessories, there's nothing like a coupla Pyrex insulators on yer dipole.

W1UJR
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2007, 04:28:55 PM »

Nope. But if you are into buzzardly accessories, there's nothing like a coupla Pyrex insulators on yer dipole.

I use those!

They are good for 3 db on each end.
If you use one at the feedpoint, you experience a whopping 6db gain!
Really! Grin

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015