The AM Forum
April 28, 2024, 05:16:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Offical NearFest Reports - File Here  (Read 18830 times)
W1UJR
« on: May 05, 2007, 08:32:49 PM »

I'm home, had a great time!

Weather: Spectacular WX, you could simply not ask for better hamfest weather, nice temps, 60-70, moderate breeze on Saturday, dead calm on Sunday, sunny for most of the day!

Impressions: I had not been to Deerfield before, as I moved to Maine in 2001, so this was a real treat. Never thought anything could match the setting at Hopkington, boy was I surprised! Deerfield is a delight, many more trees, and I mean big 90 foot pine tress, lots of parking, a very nice area to stroll and look at radio gear.

I found the mood more relaxed than Hopkington, everyone seemed to be going at a more leisurely pace, and there seemed to be more of a focus on fellowship. Indeed, many were offering free or $1 piles of parts to fellow hams. The layout was also quite different, but in a good way, not rows or circles of equipment like Hopkington, but of a collection of varied paths and roads, making the radio search an enjoyable adventure.

The Scene: Enjoyed the time with the AM miscreants, good turnout of all the New England regulars, and even some irregulars.

There were no less than three on-site radio stations pumping out tunes, and bulletins from the hamfest crew during the event. It was a good idea as most everyone had an AM or FM radio to listen in, hope to see that repeated!

Dale KW1I and the military group had an very nice set up, complete with a communications shelter with a radar antenna rotating on top, more than one person got a kick out of that.

W1E, the Class E station was up and going, thanks to the efforts of WA1QIX and others, but the bands seemed to be somewhat crapped out.

Missed Wayne WA1SSJ AMer sign in sheet, or was that not offered at this fest?

Brent W1IA was ever present with his trademark John Deere tractor and trailer, giving folks a ride in the scoop, emptying the trash barrels, and generally keeping the place looking spiffy!

Interesting Stuff: Carl KPD's Harvey transmitter, very buzzardly, but just could not talk myself into bringing it home. Saw a nice Collins 51J4, KWM2A, W1TP's key collection - WOW, a nice old buzzard carbon microphone in a candlestick telephone housing, numerous McElroy keys, including a nice chromed "Stream" key, countless Vibroplex bugs, a Collins 75A2, lots of old Hallicrafters gear, including a nice S-20R, a nautical sextant in wooden case, and a nice selection of very early ARRL Handbooks.

Booty Hauled Home: A very nice KW Matchbox with meter, a broken Heathkit SB-610 monitor scope, a 1930s vintage Centralab headphone volume control for old high impedance headphones (Just the thing when you are getting comfortable on the sofa with the Misses, listening to Amos and Andy, and you don't want to get up to adjust the Atwater Kent), and several cool old 1930s radio books. Joe NM1V kindly contributed a National doghouse power supply cover to my collection, thanks Joe! All in all, it was a sedate but good haul.

Thanks and Kudos: Hats off to Mike W1RC, Mike TWF, Gary W2INR, Todd KA1KAQ, Brent W1IA, Tim HLR, and finally to the rest who worked to make sure that the New England hamfest tradition was kept alive, and made the event a rip-roaring success! I look forward to the October NearFest.

Lodging and Dinning Tips
Place to stay: Northwood Motel, clean and cheap, $59, close to the fest.

Place to eat: Chadborne's, in Northwood, great food, friendly servers, and they allow you to bring in your own alcohol!

Best Apple Crisps: Pat's, on site, a bargain at $3 per.

Conclusion: I'll be spending the rest of the weekend in the shack working on the new goodies, hope to catch many of you on the air! And count me in for the fall event!

73 Bruce W1UJR
www.w1ujr.net

* DSC00263.jpg (204.18 KB, 480x611 - viewed 514 times.)

* DSC00264.jpg (161.98 KB, 640x480 - viewed 508 times.)

* DSC00269.jpg (129.33 KB, 640x480 - viewed 531 times.)
KC1XF
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2007, 08:48:05 PM »

To Mike, and the crew who put everything together.

THANKS VERY MUCH, I along with my friends from Rhode Island, we all had a very good time today. I really enjoyed myself very much, it was nice to talk with everyone who I hadn't seen in along time.

Made some purchase's, had some food and quite a few conversations with people who I've been talking to over the last 40 years.

Good Friends, Good Food, and a wonderful HOBBY, what a way to spend a Saturday.
Sadly I missed some from the AM Group, but look forward to seeing you again in October.

Thanks again for a FANTASTIC DAY.

Fred

KC1XF

EMAIL: KC1XF@YAHOO.COM

http://HTTP://AntiqueRadioService.com Cheesy
WU2D
Contributing

CW is just a narrower version of AM

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2007, 11:07:23 PM »

Holy Deerfield! Its back!

I had a great time on Friday afternoon walking the flea with Mark WA1QHQ. We made many trips to the cars to deliver booty.

Mark scored some kind of premium receiver, a mackay ITT sumthinorother and he was excited about that. Mark bought an ART-13 for $50 not bad..

What I saw: plenty of Collins receivers, RME's National' including HRO's Superpros and many Hammarlunds and Hallicrafters and a nice Harris 590 and several Heath and Johnson transmitters, a couple of Millens and two ART-13's.

I like to collect and use surplus and I got a couple of nice pieces. A Collins ARC-2A, complete - see picture for $50 The ARC-2A is like a whole command set suite including all frequencies (LF RX too) in one box. This was Collins first transceiver and it was an autotuning AM and CW rig.

Some other booty is piled on top.

The second gem was a BC-652A tank receiver. This was may novice receiver that I used with my original BC-696 command set back in 1973. Like many hams, surplus radios like these were passed down to novices. Brown WA1NZR remarked that this receiver was his first piece of surplus as well.

Much fun if only for a few hours on Friday - thanks Mr Mike and volunteers!

Mike WU2D

* ARC2A.jpg (142.58 KB, 1000x792 - viewed 630 times.)

* BC652A2.jpg (146.32 KB, 1000x791 - viewed 568 times.)

* BC652A3.jpg (147.21 KB, 1000x762 - viewed 592 times.)

These are the good old days of AM
W1GFH
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2007, 11:24:04 PM »

Nice haul! Whole buncha rare Ocean Hopper coils atop the 2A. And what's that, a 6F6 audio amp?
kf2vm
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2007, 12:39:42 AM »

How lucky we are. To have Mr. Mike, Timtron, Gary-INR, Todd-Ka1KAQ, Brenteeena-W1IA, Mike-TWF, and all of the others who made this the BEST Hamfest of the 26 I've attended. This done with only a few weeks notice. I can't put my finger on it, but the "feeling' was so very different. Like attending Woodstock, or some great "EVENT". You'd walk down a path, looking for some part, or to get a cup of coffee. You'd see a smiling face, shake hands, and before you knew it,..2 hours slipped by while talking to a friend you'd not seen in a bit. Then,...off you'd go together, and from behind, you'd hear,"YYYheeeaaallloo", another smiling face, and another 2 hours would fly by. It felt so much like "coming home", to a missed family. And,...the Sun is shining, you'd feel that breeze, as it wandered through the 90 foot tall Pine Tree end supports. In the background, the voices of those who couldn't make it, on Steve's (Wa1QIX) reciever. The W1E special events station, Steve had set up, proves it's not just about some "Dinosaur Technology" being kept alive out of nostalgia. HOW LUCKY WE ARE, to have this community of friends, to come home to. How different this was. On the way home, I was on 75. Terry-W2PFY, GUY-W1FRM, DIRK-Wa2CYT, Carl K2FTX, and Glenn-N1YTN all asked me what it was like. I just couldn't say they right thing. I got home, and just had to write this, if only to acknowledge, how blessed I feel, to be part of this Band of Brothers. (Special thanks to Bill-KC2IFR, Jim-Ka1TKO, and Tom/Marilyn-N2SQO. That was the happiest I'd felt in YEARS!!!)
W1QWT

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2007, 12:55:18 AM »

This was a great start to another tradition. I am very happy that New England still has a major Hamfest especially one of this type. I always called it the "Woodstock of Amateur Radio". Thanks to Mr. Mike, Gary, TWF, and all the others, too numerous to mention, for thier help in pulling this off. "It was most excellant!"
I had a great time doing my Poohpah things like the grounding ceremony.

For a perspective through my eyes please visit: http://home.comcast.net/~w1qwt/nearfest.html

Now i just got to find a better place to sleep! The front seat of a Mustang for a 250 lb guy just does cut it!
Best Regards
Q
W1QWT

Regards, Q, W1QWT
WA1GFZ

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2007, 09:01:03 PM »

Todd and I finally met to pick up his KWM380 for repair. He really wanted to load it in Brent's bucket loader and drive around for effect.
These days I try to limit the stuff I haul home but I did find the one part I needed
a bigger loading cap for the V2 CDC in my first 10 minutes walking around.   
W4EWH

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2007, 11:07:26 PM »

I've posted the pictures I took of the AM'ers.

http://home.comcast.net/~billhorne/nearfest.html

73, Bill W1AC

Life's too short for plastic radios.  Wallow in the hollow! - KD1SH
WA3VJB
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2007, 05:32:31 AM »

Bill I wonder if you caught her name.
Frank GFZ was probably interested.
And wasn't she at that other hamfest, in the back of the pickup truck?

* GSUs.jpg (170.67 KB, 788x596 - viewed 640 times.)

* GSU-Large, Two Ea.jpg (74.03 KB, 320x240 - viewed 550 times.)
WA1GFZ

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2007, 10:49:17 AM »

I hear she is a stiff.
That's me stuffing my face on apple chrisp and coffee jawing with Jay w1vd. DSC00144
WA1QHQ

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2007, 11:18:31 AM »

The radio Gods were smiling down upon us, maybe this was the good karma from switching venues back to where this fest trully belongs, Deerfield. Its' hard to believe that it has been 15 years since we were last at Deerfield. I think having WX reports of good weather a week or more ahead of the fest meant that sellers had plenty of time to get their stuff together without fear of a rain out. I do think that having the event on the traditional Mother's Day weekend might insure a better chance of avoiding the rain. I got a couple of excellent deals as Mike WU2D already mentioned, it has been many a Hopkinton that has gone by since I found a real good deal, I kind of assumed they were gone for good, my faith in flea markets has been restored. Finally a big thanks to the efforts of all the volunteers the majority of which I am proud to say are AMers especially the two Mikes, Gary and the master of ceremonies Tim HLR. It was refreshing to hear a minimum of public address activity and to not have to listen to Norm (from the hoss traders) talking down to us like we were a bunch of third graders, Tim did a great job on the PA.
W1EUJ
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2007, 11:28:11 AM »

Another wonderful get-together!

I came in on Friday, $100 in pocket and a list of items in mind. Saw a man hauling a very nice Measurements Model 80 sig. gen - hello WB2CAU! Along the way I met W2ILA and his nice SX-28, wish I had tried the spagheti that is measured in gallons; Tom was nice enough to allow me to poke around and take photos for my restoration of an SX-28. Met W1UJR again, tuning in a slurry bible-beater on a GRC-9, with a skyscratching whip. Saw WA1QIX at the W1E station, again surrounded with the fittest men in the business; ran into a fellow I had offered a photomultiplier to; promised to complete that transaction. Did anybody try the Indian Pudding? Very tasty choices in food this year.
Ran into a couple guys selling boatanchors and tubes, we get into a discussion about the Hallicrafters lines in the early 40s, amateur radio and expeirmentation, and about deals and items bought 'out of the guy's arms'.

Around 6:45 I head out to Johnson's, and get very lost. By the time I arrive at 8PM, everybody is gone. F**K! Went home after that.

Saturday was more sedate, everybody was in the mood for deals. I finally met a fellow alum of NU, Carl 'KPD. Very nice Collins and  homebrew 2M transmitter, we talked about the Navy 6' rack transmitter and giant dynamotor that the W1KBN used to have. Bought a Browning Labs freq. meter (it was too cute to pass up), a couple of mics for the 2m setup, some tubes for the SX-28, a NRI wavemeter, and a pumpless multi-fuel backpacking stove (took it home that night - works great).

Lastly, helped W1AC, W1LUS and another fellow (forgot, sorry) run the Test Session at the Firehouse. I had just recieved my VE accreditation, and had yet to use it. Wow - 30 people show; 11 get techs, 11 upgrade to General, and one upgraded to Extra. Helping all these people join the ranks of amatuer radio, or getting the techs onto HF, was the most rewarding and fun part of the fest. I hope to do it again.

As I rested (flying kites with my YL in Newport), I began to think about fun activities to propose for the October FEST. Anybody for a BOATANCHOR contest (best restoration, best looking in class, best station concept)? I would call the award the BOATY (BOatnchor of The Year)....

73, and see you in October,

David Goncalves
W1EUJ

The Slab Bacon

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2007, 12:27:15 PM »

Todd and I finally met to pick up his KWM380 for repair. He really wanted to load it in Brent's bucket loader and drive around for effect.
These days I try to limit the stuff I haul home but I did find the one part I needed
a bigger loading cap for the V2 CDC in my first 10 minutes walking around.   

Yea, all of that is all well and good....................But the burning question is: Did youse guys have any pickled eggplant?? After all it wouldnt be like hosstraders if you didnt have any pickled eggplant Grin

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
W2INR
Radio Syracuse
Founding

Syracuse Radio W2INR

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2007, 12:35:01 PM »

It was a great experience and a wonderful time. I am honored to be a part of this event.

Slab said:
Did youse guys have any pickled eggplant?? After all it wouldnt be like hosstraders if you didnt have any pickled eggplant 
]

No Frank, we need to get that BA busting guy with the pickled eggplant to get off his butt and drive north of Baltimore sometime. Grin

I hope to see many from three land this fall, bring the eggplant Frank.

Check out the other details here NEAR-Fest

G

G - The INR

Amateur Weather Station KNYSYRAC64
Creator - owner - AMfone.net - 2001 - 2010
Founding Member - NEAR-Fest
SWLR-RNŲ54
WA3VJB
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2007, 01:06:24 PM »

If possible it would be nice if electric chairs were available for rent (at a reasonable price)

Now that's quite a message !!!
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2007, 01:14:40 PM »

Slab said:
Did youse guys have any pickled eggplant?? After all it wouldnt be like hosstraders if you didnt have any pickled eggplant 
]

No Frank, we need to get that BA busting guy with the pickled eggplant to get off his butt and drive north of Baltimore sometime. Grin

Since I cant make it up there due to situations beyond my control. If Frank (gfz) doesnt come through with the eggplant next time, I may have to make some and send it up with the 3-land contingent! Grin Grin

The Slab Bacon

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
W2INR
Radio Syracuse
Founding

Syracuse Radio W2INR

« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2007, 01:17:51 PM »

DEAL!! Frank

G - The INR

Amateur Weather Station KNYSYRAC64
Creator - owner - AMfone.net - 2001 - 2010
Founding Member - NEAR-Fest
SWLR-RNŲ54
W4EWH

« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2007, 03:54:22 PM »

Another wonderful get-together!

[snip]
I finally met a fellow alum of NU, Carl 'KPD. Very nice Collins and  homebrew 2M transmitter, we talked about the Navy 6' rack transmitter and giant dynamotor that the W1KBN used to have. [snip]

Lastly, helped W1AC, W1LUS and another fellow (forgot, sorry) run the Test Session at the Firehouse.

[snip]
David Goncalves
W1EUJ

Actually, you've met two NU Alumni: I graduated in 1982.

Is W1KBN still OTA?

Bill W1AC

Life's too short for plastic radios.  Wallow in the hollow! - KD1SH
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2007, 03:56:45 PM »

Just a reminder guys.  We do have ladies on the forum.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2007, 04:01:02 PM »

My First grade buddy Gary WA1EWQ is the egg plant man and he couldn't make it because his son graduated Uconn Saturday.
I was down to my last jar so didn't bring any. My Dad  made a batch
last fall and was saving it.
So Frank I'm sure none of the light weights had any either.
Apple crisp was very good at both locations.
Heart tester grinders were also good and no chest pain after. i guess I'm good for another 6 months.
W1UJR
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2007, 10:18:16 AM »

I began to think about fun activities to propose for the October FEST. Anybody for a BOATANCHOR contest (best restoration, best looking in class, best station concept)? I would call the award the BOATY (BOatnchor of The Year)....

73, and see you in October,

David Goncalves
W1EUJ

Hi Dave, good to see you there!
See you latched onto Carl KPD, a real gentleman, and fellow vintage radio enthusiast.
I was tempted by his Harvey rig, did you get the Browning meter from him?

A Modest Proposal
On another front, the vintage radio contest might be interesting, but how about a vintage AM station?
Paul VJB coined the term "AM Festival Station" some years back for such events.
The sight of some FB vintage gear, in all its glory with tubes glowing and the loud clack of the plate contactor, may really drawn in some new converts to the vintage radio scene?
Thinking of something 100 watt class, with a suitable black wrinkle paint receiver.
Say, maybe a DX-100 and a nice old HRO station?
I'd be happy to kick in the DX-100 that Dale KW1I and I used in 2000 at Dayton, and I have a nice HRO-5 which would be ideal for "field use".
What say the powers that be to such a request, and can we find enough folks to man the station during the event?

W1EUJ
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2007, 01:03:27 PM »

Bruce - I got the Browning from a table working on the 'honor system', never saw the guy. Found a an inspection tag inside, 1947, Serial #19. Nice! I met Carl on Saturday, just before the VE session. Wish the Millen dip meter was cheaper :-).

Not a bad idea on the station...I'd love to see one or two transmitters, and a lot of recievers, multi-coupled an a common recieving antenna.

Here are my thoughts: The best part, for me, of the boatanchor experience has always been in the listening; in addition to allowing somebody to sit in on operating a fine reciever and transmitter pair, it would be nice to have a sort of 'listening bar' to allow the crowd to sit in, plunk on the headphones, and cruise the open radio seas on one of many recievers. One could have a 30's radio (an HRO or RAS, or an early Hallicrafters), a 40's rig like the SX-28, SP-200, and something later like an R-390, SP-600, or one of those 50's Halli/Hammarlund lines of receivers. Or maybe I'm just too much of a SWL...

Whatever can make the experience available to more of the 'unconverted' without running serially and allowing only 5-6 guys take a crack at it during the day is what I'm thinking about. That was my idea with the contest. The first year, you could see what somebody has been using at their shack (and have only heard about), live. Folks could meet the contestants, see some really nice radios, and perhaps get excited enough to pick a old wreck up that fest and fix it up for the next fest. Exposure could be in the hundreds. It'll either die out quick (same guys with the same radios), or take off as new folks get into the boatanchors.

I offer my SP-200, RAS, SX-28 (if it is working by then), Viking Valiant 2, TCS, DX-60 ( :-) ), and T-150. I'm looking for a good time, and less of buying stuff. 

David Goncalves
W1EUJ

>The sight of some FB vintage gear, in all its glory with tubes glowing and the loud clack of the plate contactor, may >really drawn in some new converts to the vintage radio scene?
W1UJR
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2007, 07:04:21 AM »

I would love to see an AM (and CW) vintage station at NEAR-Fest II.  We had a special events call sign (W1D) but nobody used it this time.  Any volunteers to organize the effort?

MrMike, W1RC

I'd be glad to do so Mike, and it sounds like you can count Dave in as well.
One concern I have is the class E folks, and mutual interference.
We would need to coordinate operations with the class E folks.

Perhaps you may want to start a separate topic on this forum about this subject.
I think its a great idea, and can only add to the draw of the event!

73 Bruce W1UJR
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2007, 07:40:13 AM »

If possible it would be nice if electric chairs were available for rent (at a reasonable price)

Now that's quite a message !!!

Ohio has an electric chair they don't use anymore. Maybe you'll see it at Dayton

Shocked

Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2007, 09:30:53 AM »

I would love to see an AM (and CW) vintage station at NEAR-Fest II.  We had a special events call sign (W1D) but nobody used it this time.  Any volunteers to organize the effort?

You need more sleep, Mike. Wink

We already covered this along with the speakers/forums/displays, deciding to wait until October to get the first NEAR-Fest off the ground and work out the basic bugs. I'd say that has been accomplished.

The current plans involve having a 50s-vintage station on working display alongside or near the Class E station, taking turns and sharing the same antenna. This precludes interference issues and the need to check in with each other before operating. It also gives a good side-by-side comparison of AM technology from 'then' and 'now'. By sharing the power and antenna connections, there is not chance of damaging either station by operating in close proximity, and it makes the whole antenna launching situation easier. The older gear is already lined up, but operators are always a key ingredient.

Steve has also agreed to speak on Class E AM operations, and other speakers/forums are in the works.

Stay tuned folks, and be patient: October is a few days away. We're still recovering from last weekend!  Grin

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015