The AM Forum
May 11, 2024, 09:11:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Whats the smallest vehicle you've hauled a BC-610 in?  (Read 9953 times)
kf6pqt

« on: May 04, 2007, 01:35:43 PM »

As my runty little compact pickup is down to only two cylinders, I'm researching a "new" used vehicle (say, cargo van) for the purpose of multi-state roadtrips to retrieve large transmitting devices, and for just going to swapmeets. Needs to be big enough to do the job, but yet get decent mileage, as gas is only gonna go up. For instance, an Econoline 350 would work out great, but would be impractical most of the time.

I also already have a VW hippy-bus, but that thing is only good as a movable parts-shed. I need to find a hippy to buy it someday soon.

This isn't my primary form of transportation... probably third.

That, and road-trip stories are fun, so lets hear 'em!

-Jason kf6pqt

W6IEE, formerly KF6PQT
W1GFH
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2007, 03:12:43 PM »

I never saw a BC-610 being hauled, but used to see small cars LOADED TO THE CURB with boatanchors driving up the NH state roads to Deerfield in the 1980s. (I think eight SX-101s equal the weight of one BC-610)  Also saw an ART-13 hurled from the top of the Deefield fairgrounds grandstand one time. There was a huge cheer when it splattered onto the concrete.
W9GT

Nipper - Manager of K9 Affairs

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2007, 04:25:15 PM »

Many years ago I had a 1974 Vega Station Wagon.   Yeah, I know  Roll Eyes

I remember making a trip to the Findlay, Ohio hamfest ( about 90 miles or so).  Hauled back two full-sized racks full of heavy metal and hanging out the hatch-back.  About half-way home, the clutch cable broke...so had to drive about 45-50 miles without stopping at intersections or being able to shift gears...had to stay in 4th gear.  Quite a challenge with a little 4 cylinder!  That was an interesting trip to say the least, but I made it home OK.  Then received the rath of the XYL for hauling home all that junk. Cheesy Cry

73,  Jack, W9GT

Tubes and Black Wrinkle Rule!!
73, Jack, W9GT
k7yoo

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2007, 06:51:12 PM »

A VEGA!!!--the definition of P.O.C.--- made a Yugo look good.
I hauled 1 1/2 BC 610's in a Volvo 244. I think the Vega takes the prize. I did a road trip in one of those with a friend. We had to run with the heater wide open during the summer to keep it from overheating on the freeway.
Skip
W1ATR
Resident HVAC junkie

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2007, 07:01:08 PM »

It was Spring 1991, I hauled this radio out of an ex-girlfriends house at midnight in the back of a middle 80's Chevy Celebrity wagon and brought it to a new GF's house. This was my FIRST 750 (400'sX810's dubbed "The Iron Curtain") wayyyy before I was a licensed amateur.(I sure you know what that ment) Myself and a good friend stuffed the cabinet into the back of the car laying down all the way up to the backs of the front seats, and still couldn't close the hatch. The three drawers were roped,(yes, rope), down to the roof and the RX was in the front seat. Don't know how the car made it without breaking in half and without any DUI's, but we did make it across town. Those were the days.

I swear on my life this is a true story.

* The Iron Curtain 1994.jpg (23.88 KB, 480x640 - viewed 322 times.)

Don't start nuthin, there won't be nuthin.

Jared W1ATR

Click for radio pix
kf6pqt

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2007, 08:05:16 PM »

Skip, isnt a volvo 242 a two-door sedan???

So, I'm thinking something puny like a v6 astro/safari might actually be up to it after all!

W6IEE, formerly KF6PQT
KA8WTK
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2007, 08:26:19 PM »

I can reccomend the Safari van with a V6 engine. Mine now has 201,600 miles on it. When I left for Timonium it had over 200,000 on it already and got 21 MPG on the trip down to Frank's. If you pull out the back bench seat you still have seating for 4 and lots of room. It doesn't matter if you go Safari or Astro, just be sure it is the long wheel base model so you have lots of room. (mine is an XLT model)

Bill KA8WTK
k7yoo

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2007, 08:48:27 PM »

An ASTRO is way huge--I did a Gates BC1 as well as a 20V in one of those----but wait there's more!!
My Plymouth Voyeur did a complete 21E, except for the 600 lb plate iron, oh I did have a utility trailer on the back.
Braking was a bit dubious tho...
kf6pqt

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2007, 08:54:37 PM »

Ok, so the astro passes the weight test...

now will the Astro hold two old-style Kawasaki Jet Ski's? (width test)

W6IEE, formerly KF6PQT
W3LSN

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2007, 10:47:51 PM »

My first taste of heavy metal was hauling home a BC-610H in my 1973 Plymouth Duster.  We basically upended the unit and tipped it into my trunk. I then tied down the trunk lid with rope and drove away.  I recall I had a bigger problem trying to get it out of the car and around back  into my parent's basement.

73, Jim
WA2AJM/3
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2007, 11:03:32 PM »

I took home 3 different HB rigs from Timonium which turned into the DERB-500 HB rig, using the best stuff out of each one in my 1962 Mercury. I figure round 2000 pounds. The back end of the car was almost on the ground. I'm sure some remember following me home that day.
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2007, 01:32:38 AM »

"The back end of the car was almost on the ground."

Taint spark illegul???  klc

What? Me worry?
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2007, 07:39:26 AM »

Fortunately, my GPT-750 fit neatly in my Suburban.  It didn't even break a sweat even on that longassed upgrade on I-68 out of Morgantown.

The worst loaded down experience I had was with my old Taurus Wagon.  Back fulla boatanchas, me, Tom K1JJ, Steve HUZ, and Nick KG2IR - and alla their stuff.

Grin "Iron Curtain"  Grin

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
W9GT

Nipper - Manager of K9 Affairs

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2007, 09:26:19 AM »

A VEGA!!!--the definition of P.O.C.--- made a Yugo look good.
Skip

Yeah, the Vega was quite a piece of work.  Held together with spit and rust!

I was thinking.....does the vehicle used for hauling have to be a car or truck?  When I was about 12 years old....just getting started in radio...I went around to all the folks on my paper route and asked if they had any old radios they didn't want.  Well, beyond my wildest expectations...I got a ton of old radios and I was very happy with all the great parts and stuff that I was able to salvage.  The most fantastic response, however, was from a nice older gentleman who had been a radio repairman back in the 30's and 40's.  He essentially gave me his entire service bench, old test equipment, and lots and lots of tubes and parts!
Now....how was I going to get this stuff home???  Much to the horror of my Mom and Dad, they looked down the street from our house and here I came......hauling that service bench on top of my wagon (the little red variety)....occasionally dropping a part or a tube....but I made it home!  My Dad wasn't too thrilled, but I guess he admired my industrious attitude.  He actually helped me unload the stuff and carry it down to the basement.  To this day, I don't know how that little wagon supported all that weight....Those were the days.

73,  Jack, W9GT

Tubes and Black Wrinkle Rule!!
73, Jack, W9GT
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2007, 09:40:17 AM »

'81 Coupe Deville. BC-610 on it's back fit into trunk and the lid closed. Pumped the air shocks up to 80 lbs. The car sat normally except for the rear tires looking a little low on air. Pulled it back out with an engine crane and seat belts. Later moved 800 lbs of iron in same trunk. That was too much. Also moved GPT-750 from Pawling NY to Central NJ in an '83 Coupe Deville. Took the deck lid completely off and the cabinet fit standing up. Back seat removed and decks placed there. The car would have still whooped Courson's ex cop car loaded like this. He was nowhere to be found that weekend.
kf6pqt

« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2007, 01:01:32 PM »

Hey, the Caddy is disqualified, They may look like a car, but engine/transmission/suspension can put a full-size truck to shame!  Wink

I've had several trucks, but I like the utility of being able to store and lock up stuff in a van. As my radio and parts collection starts to reach critical mass, I'm going to want to actually sell things at our monthly swapmeet, what better way to get the good stuff but to pull into my spot with a van, lock it up, run off and look around, THEN unload and start selling the junk!

The greater interior space of a van will also better accommodate the mobile-boatanchor setup I envision, and the larger expanse of metal roof will provide a better antenna ground plane.

One of my other hobbies is junker motorcycles, so I have to have the capability of hauling a bike, and the odd occasionally grimey heavy object.  That'll eliminate stationwagons and SUV's.

Besides, IMHO, in Southern California where all the roads are paved, and the weather is always nice, people like me who have desk jobs SHOULD NOT HAVE SUV's...

There's ONE guy who drove through my neighborhood with a Porche Cayenne that I had some respect for... he was towing a 4-horse horse trailer with it.

Beyond that, these fancy "trucks" are just status devices for these bastards with more money then sense.... sorry rant off...

W6IEE, formerly KF6PQT
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2007, 06:19:48 PM »

Sell on ebay and pocket the savings on transportation. Time to do a balance sheet. You can still give stuff away to deserving newbees. Certain folks might express concerns about this method. Same folks do some real funny trading when nobody's looking.  Cool
kf6pqt

« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2007, 06:37:36 PM »

You  misinterpret! The objective was to drag new stuff home, and convert the unwanted stuff into cash which would by new stuff!

I've been bitten by only driving the hatchback to the swapmeet...

Ya gotta think BIG!

Wink

W6IEE, formerly KF6PQT
WA1GFZ

« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2007, 08:51:03 PM »

The one I had took a ride across the yard by rolling it. I had it delivered to the curb and was all alone.  Back then I could dead lift the back end of a honda civic though. That rig is in K2VH's shack now.
W1RC
Contributing

« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2007, 05:21:00 AM »

I remember a trip home from Gaithersburg in the 'Nineties' (when it was still good).  That was the last time I remember going to a 'fester and getting so much stuff I hadda ask a buddy to take something home for me in his cargo van.  Even though my car was full I had arranged to stop by "the farm" that was just a bit north and east of Scranton PA.  Those of you have been there know what I mean!

I was allowed a rare privilege - to browse the rotting barns of a well-known surplus dealer who had gotten some great stuff outta Tobyhanna in the early nineties.  As luck would have it I found a bunch of RS-1 units and parts (including the plastic schematic cards!) four complete hand-crank generator sets (with cables) and I wanted them.  My wife was with me and she had schtuff under her feet.

I don't know how I shoe-horned all that extra schtuff into the Charger but somehow I did. 

Ah, those were the days!

MrMike

"It is a good thing we don't get the government we pay for."  Will Rogers.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015